Liam Shaw in advanced talks with Celtic

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Because Pelupessy was a first team squad member at the time and Shaw was a player who may or may not have gone on to progress in the first team. 

There is alot of why didn't we offer him this and that last year and why didn't we see this coming.

My guess is nobody thought he would go on to have the impact he has had in the first team. So like all the other previous times why would you sign up someone that hasn't played in the first team yet that might not be any good.  More unlucky on our part that he has had the brilliant few months and has attracted the interest he has, rather than poor planning.

I should hope the club having had him since he was a young lad were fully aware of his potential and would ensure this situation doesn’t happen.

A well run club absolutely sees this thing coming. They see it a mile off and take the necessary steps to make sure it doesn’t happen. That’s exactly what we should be doing. I’d have been sorting a new contract around this time last year. Without any first team appearances Shaw would have signed it and we could start developing him like we have been doing. And then his performances attract genuine interest and he either flourishes with us or we sell him for a decent fee.

Honestly mate, that post is just one big huge excuse for negligence and poor club and player management. Anyone who watched the academy teams and saw Shaw play could tell you he had all the attributes to be a solid player. Hence why Monk gave him his debut at 18.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I think its all just agent talk, unfounded rumour or pure speculation.  Why would Shaw move from the team he supports where he has a real chance of playing regularly to warm the bench (at the very best) at Celtic?  It just doesn't make any sort of sense.  I expect this to be sorted out soon with Shaw having a good contract with us.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, shandypants said:

I think its all just agent talk, unfounded rumour or pure speculation.  Why would Shaw move from the team he supports where he has a real chance of playing regularly to warm the bench (at the very best) at Celtic?  It just doesn't make any sort of sense.  I expect this to be sorted out soon with Shaw having a good contract with us.  

Warm the bench at best? Have you seen Celtic this year?

And Scott Brown is 35

4 minutes ago, shandypants said:

League One football or play infront of 60,000 each week?

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I should hope the club having had him since he was a young lad were fully aware of his potential and would ensure this situation doesn’t happen.

A well run club absolutely sees this thing coming. They see it a mile off and take the necessary steps to make sure it doesn’t happen. That’s exactly what we should be doing. I’d have been sorting a new contract around this time last year. Without any first team appearances Shaw would have signed it and we could start developing him like we have been doing. And then his performances attract genuine interest and he either flourishes with us or we sell him for a decent fee.

Honestly mate, that post is just one big huge excuse for negligence and poor club and player management. Anyone who watched the academy teams and saw Shaw play could tell you he had all the attributes to be a solid player. Hence why Monk gave him his debut at 18.

Perhaps we should give all our young players all 5 year contracts then incase this happens again. And then 90% of them, probably 95% with our track record of bringing through young players would be a complete waste of time and money.  We were unlucky he had the season he has had. but I would agree after a few games this season we should have been straight on a new contract for him. The Exeter game has made if difficult for us to keep him now. But I can understand why we didn't do it before.

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Perhaps we should give all our young players all 5 year contracts then incase this happens again. And then 90% of them, probably 95% with our track record of bringing through young players would be a complete waste of time and money.  We were unlucky he had the season he has had. but I would agree after a few games this season we should have been straight on a new contract for him. The Exeter game has made if difficult for us to keep him now. But I can understand why we didn't do it before.

No we should simply not get into a situation where a good young homegrown player can talk to other clubs  and leave without us getting a transfer fee. 

It’s really that straight forward. 

• Like 6

None of Canshiri's advisors will get anything if Shaw signs long term deal with the club so we put in front of him disgraceful contract offer.

Those having agents that Canshiri's advisors are "mates with" will get far more than they are worth.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

No we should simply not get into a situation where a good young homegrown player can talk to other clubs  and leave without us getting a transfer fee. 

It’s really that straight forward. 

Totally agree. My point is we didn't know he was going to be a good young homegrown player until he started this season playing like he has.

4 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Totally agree. My point is we didn't know he was going to be a good young homegrown player until he started this season playing like he has.

His potential will have been known to the club. Monk had him in and around the first team training at 18. You take a calculated risk that at his age and his ability that he might make the club money in the future. 

To ensure a situation like this doesn’t arise, you tie him down to a contact of 2/3 years and give him game time in the first team. If he then realises his potential (which early signs suggest he is) the club hold all the aces. 

We’ve done the exact opposite. And now face a situation where a talented young player can speak to other clubs and there’s nothing we can do about it.

6 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

But someone in the training staff surely knew of his potential to be a first team player. After all that is THE point of a youth setup

You're not telling me it took literally every coach at the club by complete surprise

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Surely he must have shown some potential.

Players don't just "Play well when given the chance". They are all well known to both clubs youth coaches and other scouts from other clubs. 

If we believed he had any sort of potential we should have been signing him up on a more long term deal to see if he was to fulfil it. Not wait until we actually play him in senior games and basically promote him to everyone else. 

• Like 1

Guest hirstysfags
25 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

League One football or play infront of 60,000 each week?

Every other week. The other weekend is in the wastelands of Strathclyde or somewhere.

32 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Money

26 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

No, we should have a system here we identify the one's worth investing in, and a strike rate of getting it right that offsets the losses of the ones that don't succeed.

Of course, that may have happened on this (and other) occassion, but the powers that be may have put the skids under it by failing to sign off appealing contracts, or dragging their feet on offering a deal at all.

• Like 1