Liam Shaw in advanced talks with Celtic

1 minute ago, FinnishOwl said:

I very much agree. If I was Shaw, I would be knocking at the doors of Brentford and like. A season in Championship is so much better than a season on the bench at Celtic.

LOL

People are really getting carried away with a couple of recent performances.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, FinnishOwl said:

I very much agree. If I was Shaw, I would be knocking at the doors of Brentford and like. A season in Championship is so much better than a season on the bench at Celtic.

More exposure at Celtic, Better wages, European football - a track record of selling their stars to better leagues

If the boy is allowed to leave for nowt, and thereby failing to safeguard their most valuable assets [again], then it will reinforce my suspicion that people actually don't know what they are doing.

Guest Therealrealist
8 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

LOL

Ex@ctamondo...the over reaction to this is a bit bizzare tbh

If I was a pro footballer at 19, just started to make inroads into my professional career, forget about the emotion attached to playing for your boyhood club I'd be looking at;

Where am I going to play the most first team games

Where is best for my development

Where is best for me and my family

Who is offering the most money

Some of these we offer. Some of these Celtic do. Some of these other clubs may

If any player chooses the latter category wouldn't matter if it is now or next season, said player is not a player who we should be building a team around although in some instances I along with others would hopefully understand

4 hours ago, vulva said:

Can you imagine a scenario where we get £100k for our best prospect in years, Neil Thompson as manager and Hutchison and Westwood strutting around the club on big money. 

In League 1. 

What a time to be alive. 

At least parking won’t be an issue. Every cloud and all that....

8 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

LOL

It's bot about the impact of losing him on the team for me. It's about the fact we have failed to tie down a promising youngster to a contract before now.

There's something wrong if we're leaving ourselves open to this happening and it undermines everything about our youth set up and academy. In fact  it renders it virtually pointless 

• Like 2

Guest Smackavolley
14 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Liam Shaw has been with the club for over 10 years, we've literally put years of development into him, we put it into George Hirst , Matt Penney has been here since he was eight - what of that isn't "years of development" I'm sure there are others than have been at the club since 8/9 years old

The fact is the facilities might be poo and the infrastructure terrible, but we're starting to produce players and all the years of development shouldn't be given away for peanuts. 

Make them feel wanted and sort the contracts out then. 

I'm talking about the current set up. The players you mention were nurtured under the Ramsdale regime. Since he left the level of coaching has gone South and there's not many lads from U18's down who have been there since U10 level.

Shaw, Penney and Hunt are very much the exception. As for giving them away for peanuts. Bad management.  Hirst was bad management on one side and underhand on the other. 

6 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

Ex@ctamondo...the over reaction to this is a bit bizzare tbh

It’s not whether Shaw is going to go on to be the next Steven Gerrard or the next Sean Clare.

It’s the fact we might be letting another promising young player walk away for free. It’s the fact we can’t keep a boyhood Wednesday fan at the club. It’s the fact DC is repeating the same mistake we went through with Hirst.

Why aren’t people seeing the bigger picture? 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It’s not whether Shaw is going to go on to be the next Steven Gerrard or the next Sean Clare.

It’s the fact we might be letting another promising young player walk away for free. It’s the fact we can’t keep a boyhood Wednesday fan at the club. It’s the fact DC is repeating the same mistake we went through with Hirst.

Some can't; some can but don't want to; some just prefer to be contrarian on every single issue.

Such is life.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Smackavolley said:

Make them feel wanted and sort the contracts out then. 

I'm talking about the current set up. The players you mention were nurtured under the Ramsdale regime. Since he left the level of coaching has gone South and there's not many lads from U18's down who have been there since U10 level.

Shaw, Penney and Hunt are very much the exception. As for giving them away for peanuts. Bad management.  Hirst was bad management on one side and underhand on the other. 

It's not my job to sort out contracts :S

You need to pick your argument - your initial post said 

"Years of development? Really?"

I outlined how our youth players have literally had years of development and you completely glossed over it to make a completely different point

11 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Cos they're thick as mince 

Can't see the wood for the trees

This is an utter disgrace, just the 18366965th example of poorly this football club is run under Chansiri.

It's really not hard is it, any prospects you believe are worthy of a professional contract show some faith in and offer a three year deal so this doesn't happen.

Just look at Forest, securing Matty Cash to a long term contract so he left for 14 million.

They've just done the same with Alex Mighten, 18 years old and starting week in week out, signed till June 2025 so keep an eye out on them getting another 15 million for him.

And that d*ck head in charge wonders why we're in financial difficulty.

ARGGHHH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1