Liam Shaw in advanced talks with Celtic

Just now, Shetland Owl said:

I hope he doesn't go, he will get more game time at the Owls better for his development

Have we got a good history of giving young players chance to develop and selling them of for bigger and better things? Or in fact even making them a regular in the Wednesday first team.

I can only think of Liam Palmer in the last 20 years. Wood, Beevers and Spurr forged out decent careers but didn’t go on to have the careers they were predicted when they first broke through. 

If I was Shaw I’d be off in a shot.

2 minutes ago, RuncornOwl94 said:

This is an utter disgrace, just the 18366965th example of poorly this football club is run under Chansiri.

It's really not hard is it, any prospects you believe are worthy of a professional contract show some faith in and offer a three year deal so this doesn't happen.

Just look at Forest, securing Matty Cash to a long term contract so he left for 14 million.

They've just done the same with Alex Mighten, 18 years old and starting week in week out, signed till June 2025 so keep an eye out on them getting another 15 million for him.

And that d*ck head in charge wonders why we're in financial difficulty.

ARGGHHH

BuT HiRsT TuRnEd OuT CrAp

• Like 1

Don't know anything about if he is but IF he is has it anything to do with Doyen.... there have been allegations made that the look to make money out of clubs young talents..... especially with clubs struggling financially..... have no evidence but makes you wonder

I don’t get the big fuss me. Okay, he played very well in the F.A cup, done some decent performances in the league, but it’s not end of world is it? I think I’d look half decent playing with Joey.

I remember when you lot got kite on over the same situation with Hirst. Look what he’s doing now. 

Let him go, it won’t do his career any good. He could be a regular in a league one side next season and gain more experience, but hey-ho

UTO

• Haha 1

Shaw has literally got all the attributes of a top midfield player.

Height, strength, good with the ball at his feet, can play in midfield or defence, likes a tackle, good range of passing, can carry the ball forward.

He has huge potential. And he’s gonna leave us for about 75p.

Let that sink in. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

It's bot about the impact of losing him on the team for me. It's about the fact we have failed to tie down a promising youngster to a contract before now.

There's something wrong if we're leaving ourselves open to this happening and it undermines everything about our youth set up and academy. In fact  it renders it virtually pointless 

I don't understand this bizarre assumption a lot of people seem to make. Just because a player hasn't signed a new contract it doesn't mean we haven't offered one. 

As for it being pointless to have the academy: We still get compensation plus a sell-on clause (albeit less than a full transfer) and we also get development sell-on clauses from any transfer before a certain age I believe. So even after he moved for the 3rd, 4th or 5th time, we would get a (diminishing) fee as well. Hardly pointless.

4 minutes ago, Dylan93 said:

I don’t get the big fuss me. Okay, he played very well in the F.A cup, done some decent performances in the league, but it’s not end of world is it? I think I’d look half decent playing with Joey.

I remember when you lot got kite on over the same situation with Hirst. Look what he’s doing now. 

Let him go, it won’t do his career any good. He could be a regular in a league one side next season and gain more experience, but hey-ho

UTO

Look at the bigger picture.

We are in an absolute mess financially and yet here we are letting what looks like a very high value sellable asset walk for nothing.

Had we been run properly, and showed some faith in Shaw by giving him a longer contract, with the way he is performing this season he could easily have gone on to make the club anywhere between 5-15 million pound come the season end.

If the season had finished and 19 year old Liam Shaw has made 30/40 appearances, scored a few, assisted a few and got a few man of the match performances (as he was doing already) he goes for minimum five - ten million and helps us out massively.

But instead he walks for free, oh sorry a small amount of compensation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dylan93 said:

UTO

Oh look here's another one

4vn8gd.jpg

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Dylan93 said:

UTO

Shaw has come into a struggling Championship side, played centre mid, centre back, and even attacking mid one match (I think), and not looked out of place.  To show that mental strength coming into a side that has zero confidence, structure, or leadership, takes some doing with his age and experience in mind.

Hirst maybe came off the bench once or twice and barely touched the ball.  Not remotely comparable.  

When identifying young players to sign, clubs will look at whether they have those attributes required to be successful that are hard to teach.  It's hard to train versatility, resilience etc - you either have it or you don't.  I'd argue Shaw is the first youngster to come through for us in a long, long time where I've actually thought he has a genuine chance of making it.  Don't begrudge him getting out of this mess here one bit, and we only have one man to blame, as per usual.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Shaw has literally got all the attributes of a top midfield player.

Height, strength, good with the ball at his feet, can play in midfield or defence, likes a tackle, good range of passing, can carry the ball forward.

He has huge potential. And he’s gonna leave us for about 75p.

Let that sink in. 

Based on a handful of appearances. Maybe he will realise his potential maybe he won't. The game is littered with players who never realised their potential. At the moment this is very least of our concerns

1 hour ago, Shetland Owl said:

I hope he doesn't go, he will get more game time at the Owls better for his development

He would probably stagnate after being dragged down by the downward spiral that we are on. If he stayed he would probably just end up as another Richard Wood, Mark Beevers or Tommy Spurr. Nothing wrong with the careers that they have had but if Shaw hopes for more than that, he will take the Celtic move.

3 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

Based on a handful of appearances. Maybe he will realise his potential maybe he won't. The game is littered with players who never realised their potential. At the moment this is very least of our concerns

I agree in terms of there is no guarantee that he will make it and the player going in itself might not be the end of the world. I think that the issue is that it is another example of us not building anything sustainable. Ideally he would have been tied down to a longer contract earlier on, made a few appearances and got rave reviews. We then sell to a club offering a decent amount and re-invest the money. It's what clubs in our current position do and should be doing in the current climate. 

• Like 1

Guest Therealrealist
1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

Cmon that’s tripe. Celtic want him for no reason do they? 

Why is there only one club in for him?? Is there a genuine interest from celtic or is it his agent trying to bump up a contract offer?

12 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

I don’t think you’re seeing the bigger picture mate. We should be VERY concerned that yet again the club has failed to tie down the contract of a promising young player. A player who we could have sold for good money further down the line.

This is the another indication that the chairman is out of his depth. And more worryingly hasn’t learnt from the first time this happened.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1