Liam Shaw in advanced talks with Celtic

1 minute ago, Skyline said:

Surely he must have shown some potential.

Players don't just "Play well when given the chance". They are all well known to both clubs youth coaches and other scouts from other clubs. 

If we believed he had any sort of potential we should have been signing him up on a more long term deal to see if he was to fulfil it. Not wait until we actually play him in senior games and basically promote him to everyone else. 

2 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

But someone in the training staff surely knew of his potential to be a first team player. After all that is THE point of a youth setup

You're not telling me it took literally every coach at the club by complete surprise

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

His potential will have been known to the club. Monk had him in and around the first team training at 18. You take a calculated risk that at his age and his ability that he might make the club money in the future. 

To ensure a situation like this doesn’t arise, you tie him down to a contact of 2/3 years and give him game time in the first team. If he then realises his potential (which early signs suggest he is) the club hold all the aces. 

We’ve done the exact opposite. And now face a situation where a talented young player can speak to other clubs and there’s nothing we can do about it.

Most clubs leave themselves in this situation and have young players on the last year of the contracts and then offer them new deals in that final year its the nature of football. Only if you show real potential will you get a deal beforehand. 

Perhaps he has taken them all by surprise with just how well he has done. 

Was he pulling up trees in the u23s.   Anymore so than Galvin, Brennen or Waldock I mean. Should the lot of them have been given new deals based on under 23 performances. I am not saying the club are right, just I understand why he didn't get a new deal last summer.  Because perhaps the true potential wasn't there to see until now.

Of course in hindsight now it looks like poor planning.

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

Most clubs leave themselves in this situation and have young players on the last year of the contracts and then offer them new deals in that final year its the nature of football. Only if you show real potential will you get a deal beforehand. 

Perhaps he has taken them all by surprise with just how well he has done. 

Was he pulling up trees in the u23s.   Anymore so than Galvin, Brennen or Waldock I mean. Should the lot of them have been given new deals based on under 23 performances. I am not saying the club are right, just I understand why he didn't get a new deal last summer.  Because perhaps the true potential wasn't there to see until now.

Of course in hindsight now it looks like poor planning.

Have you got any examples of other clubs who do this? I’m sure there are some clubs who have got themselves in the situation, but I’d like to think most clubs put measures in place to prevent this happening. 

From a purely business point of views it’s awful. 

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

Have you got any examples of other clubs who do this? I’m sure there are some clubs who have got themselves in the situation, but I’d like to think most clubs put measures in place to prevent this happening. 

From a purely business point of views it’s awful. 

Don't Arsenal lose their best players on frees all the time.

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Do they? Who like? I mean Premier League and football giants Arsenal can afford to lose a few million quid on a player. Bottom of the table Sheffield Wednesday with no money should probably  protect their assets a bit more carefully.

Edited by SallyCinnamon

6 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Do they? Who like? I mean Premier League and football giants Arsenal can afford to lose a few million quid on a player. Bottom of the table Sheffield Wednesday with no money should probably  protect their assets a bit more carefully.

We should do but we don't. Perhaps we should have a policy where we offer players better deals at a younger age. But I can see why he didn't get a contract in the summer as we don't have that policy in place at the club.

24 minutes ago, MallorcaOwl said:

Money

It all depends if he sees the long or short term picture.  He could stay with us, play games and develop a career; or go to Celtic, warm the bench, get a bit of coin before joining Sean "Flair" Clare at Oxford United and embarking on a career scratching around League 1 and 2.  Celtic play, maybe, eight challenging games in total each season against Rangers and Hibs and then steam roll the other dog 5h1t sides in the Scottish Prem.  If Shaw joins Celtic, I can't see him playing regularly; never mind in the big games.  If he goes, he goes but he'd be a fool to go to that League.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I think these are more the players reject new contracts in order to go elsewhere. 

I can't think to who you are referring to, but I know the lost players like Van Persie for pittence compared to their actual value. But they reject new contracts. Arsenal will have been in contact n regards to renewing said contract way before hand. They are also high profile players, so their agents are constantly trying to get better deals way before contracts are due to expire. 

Sha is a young kid, playing for his home grown club. If we thought he had any promise, he should have been given a contract way before now. He would have been on peanuts too. We now have to pay much more due to other clubs sniffing around. 

I'll be really disappointed, if he goes. I've said in the past, If we take a step back and build a team of youth, we'll be stronger going forward. 

But to take a step back, without the quality youth. I think I'll just be glancing at the scores. 

It's not a regime I can believe in

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

SWFC haven’t just suddenly over the last few months discovered that Shaw is a good player. FFS, what planet are some of you on???

May as well just pack up the academy if this is the case. Just invite trialists and let em play a few friendlies and decide whether they’re good enough to keep at the club.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skyline said:

I think these are more the players reject new contracts in order to go elsewhere. 

I can't think to who you are referring to, but I know the lost players like Van Persie for pittence compared to their actual value. But they reject new contracts. Arsenal will have been in contact n regards to renewing said contract way before hand. They are also high profile players, so their agents are constantly trying to get better deals way before contracts are due to expire. 

Sha is a young kid, playing for his home grown club. If we thought he had any promise, he should have been given a contract way before now. He would have been on peanuts too. We now have to pay much more due to other clubs sniffing around. 

That's what I am saying though up until this season got underway how do we know he showed any promise. More so than the rest of the players in the squad I mean. Perhaps it wasn't until the season got underway that Monk decided he looked good enough to step up. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

May as well just pack up the academy if this is the case. Just invite trialists and let em play a few friendlies and decide whether they’re good enough to keep at the club.

The club can’t be excused any criticism on this one. Utter negligence 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skyline said:

He went to Juve on a wage over £300k pw.

Arsenal refused to even match that, and rightly so. 

But they got in a position where he went on a free didn't he. It happens at other clubs where they leave it to the last minute to sign up their best talent is what I am getting at.

7 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Ramsay.

Arsenal losing Ramsey is like us losing Fletcher, Fox & Forestieri - we offered deals, they turned them down and went elsewhere on better deals

Its not like Arsenal are letting Reiss Nelson, Smith-Rowe & Sako run down their contracts and walk away for free is it.

• Like 2