Season suspension possibility growing ?

3 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

I suspect there will be much more resistance to that this time than there was last year. They can't be put back another year because of the World Cup next summer and how likely is it that they would be held in both 2023 and 2024 ? 

The world cup isn't being staged until next winter so potentially they could still push the euros back to next summer although the schedule will be extremely tight with no break for the players. 

3 hours ago, Mystic Neg said:

The season won't be outright cancelled, there may be a short delay but like last season they will look to complete it and wouldnt make a decision to cancel any of it for a good few months. The Euros, will like last year take a back seat if necessary.

Bit of context - the clubs and most elite sport are operating strict safety procedures and testing. Way more advanced than most businesses, some of which still remain open. OK, you've got the odd idiot player that thinks they're above the law.

If one thing stops, people want everything to stop without real justification. A bit like playing golf being stopped. You spend all day outside and damned if you all walk in a straight line together for 4 hours next to each other. Safer than going to a supermarket or sitting on a bus.

Just amazes me how people accept things . Ive spoke to many a golfer and they feel like nutting a mirror that they are banned from having excercise.  Football stoping for what reason ? All protocals are in place . And seriously what will change by march or april ? Very little is the answer , things will gradually improve but this thing is going nowhere . I feel sorry for kids and young adults its them what are missing out on so much . 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, morganowl said:

Just amazes me how people accept things . Ive spoke to many a golfer and they feel like nutting a mirror that they are banned from having excercise.  Football stoping for what reason ? All protocals are in place . And seriously what will change by march or april ? Very little is the answer , things will gradually improve but this thing is going nowhere . I feel sorry for kids and young adults its them what are missing out on so much . 

Protocols might be in place but they aren't being strictly enforced. The fact that we have a number of players either sick or in isolation suggests as much. The fact that lot's of other clubs are in the same boat.

The alternative may be that the protocols just can't work in football.

I hope football continues but it has seemed unlikely to me since the B.1.1.7 variant appeared.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hookowl said:

So reading that article, the efl does not intend to require EFL clubs to test twice a week as it would cost clubs 10k per week, most have not been doing once a week. About time they put a stop to the clubs who refuse to test by docking 3 points for each missed test week. Its as if they are putting money before the health of not just players but anyone they contact.

Just call a months break and see where we are.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Presumably they have to calculate our total points over 46 games, then minus the 6. Then do the ppg?

At this moment that’s fairly simple as we’ve had exactly half of the season. We have earned 25 points, times that by 2 to get a full season total, then take the 6 points off to have a total of 44, making 0.897 ppg.

Derby are currently 0.863

Wycombe 0.652

Rotherham 0.8

In fact, I think ours would be 0.95.

So marginally better than QPR too at present.

10 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

In fact, I think ours would be 0.95.

So marginally better than QPR too at present.

We started with the minus 6pts after it was reduced...the total we have got now is our total after the - 6pts. The only thing they have to do is take our points now and do a ppg total 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

I am not saying they are special.  I am just saying that the exercise of vaccinating them all has very little impact on everyone else.

The trouble with that theory is that if football players, officials, club staff etc. were to be vaccinated prior to or alongside the 4 priority groups that have been deemed most at risk. It will set a precedent for other groups to claim they are also exceptional cases, then it would have an impact on everyone else. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

We started with the minus 6pts after it was reduced...the total we have got now is our total after the - 6pts. The only thing they have to do is take our points now and do a ppg total 

No, because that -6 is surely the punishment over the season. It should be reduced in proportion to the percentage of the season gone I would have thought?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Woodbourn Owl said:

Greedy footballers would want paying and if the season went past their contract date they would refuse to play. Not playing puts more clubs at risk of going bust. If the players and their union got together and for safety reasons dont want to play let them take time off without pay and do this. No footballer has been seriously ill through Covid as far as I know so just suspend without pay and fine any of them that dont toe the line with Covid restrictions. Be glad to see the back of this season same as loads of others Im losing interest in football. UTO

Would I agree to play Football if I was out of contract and the club weren't extending it?  Absolutely not, I don't like it as a supporter but I'd be doing the same as Fletcher, protecting myself from injury and the possibility of ruining my chances of a contract elsewhere.  Is that greedy?  To some Yes, to others it's sensible. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

No, because that -6 is surely the punishment over the season. It should be reduced in proportion to the percentage of the season gone I would have thought?

So why didn't they take it at the end of the season...by your thinking we'll have been deducted 18 points...perhaps you thought that was fair?

21 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

So why didn't they take it at the end of the season...by your thinking we'll have been deducted 18 points...perhaps you thought that was fair?

Eh? Sorry, I’m not following you.

We have been deducted 6, so surely we are only deducted 6 over the course of the season. We’re the season to end now (for us, exactly half way through) I would expect the deduction to be 3 points (basically pro rata for the season completed).

• Like 1

Just now, Ever the pessimist said:

We have been deducted 6, so surely we are only deducted 6 over the course of the season. We’re the season to end now (for us, exactly half way through) I would expect the deduction to be 3 points (basically pro rata for the season completed).

Were, not we’re.

1 hour ago, Ever the pessimist said:

I doubt they'll work it out like that. I would guess the reasoning is we started on minus 6 so therefore it is minus 6 at what ever point in the season we're at.

I don't particularly think that is fair if we only complete half a season but believe that is how the EFL will interpret it.

6 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

I doubt they'll work it out like that. I would guess the reasoning is we started on minus 6 so therefore it is minus 6 at what ever point in the season we're at.

I don't particularly think that is fair if we only complete half a season but believe that is how the EFL will interpret it.

Hmmm, I’m not a fan of litigation but I think we’d have a decent case if they interpreted it like that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Hmmm, I’m not a fan of litigation but I think we’d have a decent case if they interpreted it like that.

I'm not sure.............the penalty was to start the season on minus 6 not gradually impose minus 6.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sherlyegg said:

Not how it was worded on the efl website.

It states

Sheffield Wednesday will be deducted -6 points for season 2020/21.

I hear what you're saying and I agree with you on how it should be mate.

Just pessimistic when it comes to the EFL making decisions.