Season suspension possibility growing ?

Just now, Mystic Neg said:

The Euros, will like last year take a back seat if necessary.

I suspect there will be much more resistance to that this time than there was last year. They can't be put back another year because of the World Cup next summer and how likely is it that they would be held in both 2023 and 2024 ? 

4 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

Current government guidance is you must work at home if you can, if you can't go to work. Footballers can't work at home so they should go to work.

Government hasn't ordered the closure of none essential businesses so.why shouldn't football continue.

Government not want community testing of those that can't work from home and thats what football has been doing all year.

If they break the rules l, they should be treat the same if anyone us on here broke the rules.

They live in this country and the law should apply fairly and equally to all living in this country.

If the FA want to impose further sanctions that's there choice.

Until government orders the closure on none essential businesses then why should football continue.

Bit difficult to close essential businesses ie food retailers etc as we would starve. Struggle to understand why football is exempt from the rule.  Its not just the 22 who are in the pitch, looking at the game at Marine, looked like hundreds were involved in the game somehow. Players, journos, directors, security, BBC staff and technicians. Why did the BBC need to take both Wright and Shearer to both live games, 1 at Arsenal and 1 to Marine? 

Multiple this by all the FA Cup games over the weekend and thousands of individual journeys.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

I would vaccinate the players/ club staff in this wave ie next couple of weeks. It is a very small group.  

We are going to be vaccinating 300k people a day.  you could do the whole of professional football in 15 mins on those numbers, then crack on.

Good point hadn't considered that. Haven't heard anything suggesting they will be given priority though if we keep playing then they definately should be.

11 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Bit difficult to close essential businesses ie food retailers etc as we would starve. Struggle to understand why football is exempt from the rule.  Its not just the 22 who are in the pitch, looking at the game at Marine, looked like hundreds were involved in the game somehow. Players, journos, directors, security, BBC staff and technicians. Why did the BBC need to take both Wright and Shearer to both live games, 1 at Arsenal and 1 to Marine? 

Multiple this by all the FA Cup games over the weekend and thousands of individual journeys.

Estimates from the Premier League and Bundesliga ahead of the restarts were that something like 300 individuals would be involved in staging one game, even in a locked down stadium.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Close none essential businesses, like all the places open for click and collect, I have a friend who works for a company that makes projector screens, 1st lockdown they put all staff on furlough and closed, this time stayed open

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mystic Neg said:

Bit of context - the clubs and most elite sport are operating strict safety procedures and testing.

The efl has a higher infection rate than the general population..

What use is testing if it is not acted upon?

How come they got infected in the first place?..

46 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

I would vaccinate the players/ club staff in this wave ie next couple of weeks. It is a very small group.  

We are going to be vaccinating 300k people a day.  you could do the whole of professional football in 15 mins on those numbers, then crack on.

Vaccinating 5,000 in 15 minutes is pretty good going lol

9 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

The efl has a higher infection rate than the general population..

What use is testing if it is not acted upon?

How come they got infected in the first place?..

True. They may be testing PL players each week. But how many of the EFL and non league clubs grounds were doing testing.

The whole point is to limit journeys and people mixing. We can only mix in essential businesses with a mask, what is so special about football.

It's as if the PL have got cash so they can buy there way. The EFL should enforce mandatory testing a few days before each and every game, if they want football to continue.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

True. They may be testing PL players each week. But how many of the EFL and non league clubs grounds were doing testing.

The whole point is to limit journeys and people mixing. We can only mix in essential businesses with a mask, what is so special about football.

It's as if the PL have got cash so they can buy there way. The EFL should enforce mandatory testing a few days before each and every game, if they want football to continue.

Supposed to have started beginning of January

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12175588/coronavirus-all-72-efl-clubs-to-undergo-mandatory-testing-next-week

1 hour ago, Hookowl said:

Vaccinating 5,000 in 15 minutes is pretty good going lol

we are doing 300,000 a day to hit the Govts target of 2m per week.

not doing them at night as Boris says no one will go to the appointments.

so lets say 12 hours per day of vaccinations

that is 25,000 per hour.

Or, 6,250 every 15 mins.

lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

we are doing 300,000 a day to hit the Govts target of 2m per week.

not doing them at night as Boris says no one will go to the appointments.

so lets say 12 hours per day of vaccinations

that is 25,000 per hour.

Or, 6,250 every 15 mins.

lol

Ok that looks feasible when we do achieve 300,000 per day, I believe the target to achieve that is end of January ?

I still don't believe that football will receive priority on vaccination though, there was a big call for school teachers to be prioritised  but that doesn't seem to be going to happen so I can't see elite sports faring any better.

Personally I would rather football was stopped for a while and just continue with vaccinating the four top priority groups, but that's just my opinion.

• Like 3

It's getting to the stage where football needs a break. Many teams returning several positive tests, clubs relying on academies to fullfil fixtures, but soon they too will be affected. 

Aside from the duty of care owed to players and all other related staff, forcing teams to put out weakened teams is taking the ******** out of fans. 

The football authorities are insistent on fulfilling fixtures at any cost, blind to the potential damage caused. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mcmigo said:

No way should this happen 

Vaccinating millionaire footballers to play a game ahead of 80 year old Grandmothers who have diabetes. Media would have a field day if this happened.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

No way should this happen 

Vaccinating millionaire footballers to play a game ahead of 80 year old Grandmothers who have diabetes. Media would have a field day if this happened.

It means everyone else will get theirs 15 minutes later than planned.

Is that such a massive deal?

13 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

Ok that looks feasible when we do achieve 300,000 per day, I believe the target to achieve that is end of January ?

I still don't believe that football will receive priority on vaccination though, there was a big call for school teachers to be prioritised  but that doesn't seem to be going to happen so I can't see elite sports faring any better.

Personally I would rather football was stopped for a while and just continue with vaccinating the four top priority groups, but that's just my opinion.

Would you agree to move your vaccination appt from 2pm to 215 pm so that football could continue?

3 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

It means everyone else will get theirs 15 minutes later than planned.

Is that such a massive deal?

Yes it bloody well is!!!!

Why are millionaire footballers such a special case?

I don't see why my Mum should be have to wait her turn behind Jack Grealish, Kerion Westwood, Jordan Rhodes because some people want to watch a game of football because they are a bit bored.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Would you agree to move your vaccination appt from 2pm to 215 pm so that football could continue?

I haven't got a vaccination appointment and won't likely get one for months, but if I had one then the answer is no.

I think at the present time there are more important things to protect with the vaccine than footballers.

I do believe that footballers should be protected from the greed of the EPL, EFL, Sky etc. which is making them play too many games in too short a time often with depleted teams possibly causing them serious injury. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Yes it bloody well is!!!!

Why are millionaire footballers such a special case?

I don't see why my Mum should be have to wait her turn behind Jack Grealish, Kerion Westwood, Jordan Rhodes because some people want to watch a game of football because they are a bit bored.

I am not saying they are special.  I am just saying that the exercise of vaccinating them all has very little impact on everyone else.

2 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

I suspect there will be much more resistance to that this time than there was last year. They can't be put back another year because of the World Cup next summer and how likely is it that they would be held in both 2023 and 2024 ? 

True, although the fact it’s due to be played all over the continent might make it a little smoother as it won’t be one nation feeling aggrieved at losing the tournament (the one with most to lose is our FA as Wembley is due the final and a semi final).

Greedy footballers would want paying and if the season went past their contract date they would refuse to play. Not playing puts more clubs at risk of going bust. If the players and their union got together and for safety reasons dont want to play let them take time off without pay and do this. No footballer has been seriously ill through Covid as far as I know so just suspend without pay and fine any of them that dont toe the line with Covid restrictions. Be glad to see the back of this season same as loads of others Im losing interest in football. UTO