The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

15 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

i will be very disappointed if we lose Shaw. However I just can’t see him staying when Celtic have come in for him, I know he’s a Wednesday fan but why would he stay when we are in such a mess?

Two things are in our favour firstly he's a Wednesday fan and secondly he's going to get first team football, at Celtic they have loads of young promising talent that never make the first team. But we have got to financially offer him something competitive.. 

1 minute ago, Mick70 said:

Like someone put above we have Penney galvin Palmer oddjob and even reach can all go left back/ wing back ? Need a big dare I say it Nuhiu type to get us up the pitch? Watched Paterson closely yesterday although he ran his  it’s off and works hard he doesn’t really challenge or put the cab under much pressure when the ball goes up to him? Desperate times

We need a front man mate, desperately. 

A good front man helps to take pressure off the defence with effective pressing and hold up play. 

We have no outlet atm. 

• Like 4

That sort of pay later deal won’t work with lower league clubs wanting some much needed cash. It’s not like they want to get the wages off their books. You can get those sort of deals on the continent though. Quite a few strikers who would have been good for us, have moved in this window. Palace have just signed a young striker on an 18 month loan deal from Mainz in Germany Think they paid a €3m loan fee for that long loan. He was on that list of available young strikers I put forward last month. Maybe he’s moved beyond us, but there are plenty of young strikers out there, we just need to look beyond Cardiff and Wigan

Edited by gurujuan

24 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Little more info on Tom Pearce.....

Defender Tom Pearce has emerged as a transfer target for Sheffield Wednesday.

Yorkshire Live understands the Owls are big admirers of the 22-year-old and could make a move for the Wigan Athletic man before tomorrow's 11pm transfer deadline. 

Wednesday have not had a recognised senior left-back on their books since Morgan Fox's departure last summer. Liam Palmer, Moses Odubajo, Joost van Aken and Matt Penney have all filled in there with mixed results. Kadeem Harris, Adam Reach and Ryan Galvin have also been deployed as wing-backs when the Owls have lined up with a three-man defence.

After missing out on Harry Pickering, Wednesday have turned their attentions elsewhere. 

Here is everything you need to know about Pearce.

Pearce linked up with Leeds United in 2014, having been released by Everton at the age of 16. Ormskirk-born Pearce went on to make 10 senior appearances for the Whites after progressing through the ranks at Thorp Arch.

His pro debut came against Wednesday in March 2018, with the Owls claiming the local bragging rights after a late double from Atdhe Nuhiu. 

A month later, Pearce bagged his first senior goal in the Whites win against Barnsley at Elland Road.

Pearce spent time on loan at Scunthorpe United in the second half of the 2018/19 season. The former England Under-20 international clocked up nine starts for the Iron, scoring once.

After returning to Leeds, Pearce was reportedly the subject of interest of a loan move to Greek Super League side Aris Thessaloniki FC.

The Latics fought off strong competition from Barnsley to sign Pearce for a fee thought to be in the region of £300,000 on deadline-day in August 2019. Pearce penned a three-year deal and was brought in to compete with Antonee Robinson, who was a team-mate throughout the Everton youth ranks, for a place in the side.

Pearce, who can operate as either a conventional full-back or a wing-back, only turned out 10 times for Wigan last term as Paul Cook's side failed to retain their Championship status. His lack of game time was due in part to being sidelined for three months with a back injury.

But Pearce has established himself as a key man in the third-tier this season. The 22-year-old has made 26 starts in all competitions, contributing six assists and one goal.

Although Wigan are struggling at the wrong end of the table, Pearce has been one of their standout performers. He has played 2250 minutes, his pass completion rate is 67 per cent and he has won 58% of his aerial duels.

Thanks, seems the right profile of player. But Wigan administrators want money up front, so that's probably where the story ends (and why Windass took so long)

We can't pay our own players on time, never mind a few hundred thousands in transfer fee. 

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I’d back him to score regularly between now and the end of the season than any of our current forwards. 

Didn’t do much at Watford this season. Also, have you forgotten about the 8th wonder of the world that is Patterson?! lol

• Haha 1

Just now, SwellOwl said:

Didn’t do much at Watford this season. Also, have you forgotten about the 8th wonder of the world that is Patterson?! lol

lol

I actually don’t mind Paterson, type of player who scores jammy goals of his back side! 

Not sure I’d want him as our main striking option though! 

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

lol

I actually don’t mind Paterson, type of player who scores jammy goals of his back side! 

Not sure I’d want him as our main striking option though! 

I like him but our lack of links to strikers, he may well be!

• Like 1