The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

7 hours ago, OriginalAlien said:

A new name for you, Arvin Appiah.

A speedy winger/forward currently at Almeria and previously of Forest. Ipswich also interested and it would be a loan if it goes through.

I doubt it'll happen though, as he doesn't have an African name like everyone else we are linked with. Also not sure if he believes in God.

Where have you heard of our interest in him?

One thing for sure If We get Byers We will struggle to keep bazza or massimo surely . It would mean we have

bazza

luongo

adenrian 

byers

FDB

hunt

waldock

hutch 

anyone else ?

now you could argue hutch is a CB, waldock young lad so potentially likely u23 still ,  so bazza luongo Andrenian Byers all competing with , does hunt go on loan ? Or does fdb? 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
On 11/07/2021 at 07:51, OriginalAlien said:

A speedy winger/forward currently at Almeria and previously of Forest. Ipswich also interested and it would be a loan if it goes through.

I doubt it'll happen though, as he doesn't have an African name like everyone else we are linked with. Also not sure if he believes in God.

If that’s meant to be funny, it’s not, especially with what Rashford, Sancho and Saka have been through today!

On 10/07/2021 at 23:51, OriginalAlien said:

Are you one of those Twitter idiots? Sick of seeing this type of comment now. It’s not funny. It’s poo .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony Pulis said:

Where's the source for this one mate?

Also, please don't make our signings about race or religion. It plays no part in it. A player is signed because they will help the team improve, not because of their religion or race.

It was in no way meant as anything other than a tongue in cheek observation of the players we'd been linked with. If you knew me, you'd know it wasn't meant in any racially derogatory way.

In light of the moronic reactions to some England players last night I can see why it might be seen that way and apologise if it was.

Just to put it into context, I was married to a woman of colour for 25 years and have two wonderful kids with her.

• Like 4

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, OriginalAlien said:

It was in no way meant as anything other than a tongue in cheek observation of the players we'd been linked with. If you knew me, you'd know it wasn't meant in any racially derogatory way.

In light of the moronic reactions to some England players last night I can see why it might be seen that way and apologise if it was.

Just to put it into context, I was married to a woman of colour for 25 years and have two wonderful kids with her.

Good on you for clarifying yourself . I’m sure you didn’t mean it but didn’t come across very well. 

3 hours ago, OriginalAlien said:

I suppose I’m just surprised you would come out with a comment like that,  given your former wife’s and therefore your children's cultural origins. None of this is new is it? 

1 hour ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Good on you for clarifying yourself . I’m sure you didn’t mean it but didn’t come across very well. 

Problem with written word is people take their own interpretation of what is "meant" based on their own perspective.  It was an attempt at an (admittedly) poor taste joke, think comparison to the Twitter idiots and their blatant racism is a tad unfair

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Devonstrix said:

I suppose I’m just surprised you would come out with a comment like that,  given your former wife’s and therefore your children's cultural origins. None of this is new is it? 

My comments were about African/difficult to pronounce names, and how it has been noted in other threads that we've been linked with players supposedly with a belief in God, nothing racist intended, just a poor attempt at humour.

• Like 2

One last word (I promise) on the racism comments.

As someone who's been on the receiving end of racism over the years, I am actually pleased to see my poorly chosen words/attempt at humour being picked up, it gives me some hope that the majority of people in this country are increasingly aware of the issue and prepared to stand up to make the future more accepting of difference.

However it also highlights how easy it is to be labelled and judged incorrectly.

Well done for those that called me out on it and well done those who were able to see my 'joke' for what it was meant to be.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Calling people out for racism is not "jumping on the race bandwagon". If you believe calling people out for racism is "jumping on a bandwagon", then all you have done is show this forum that you are part of the problem.

No not at all but if that's your opinion then fine.The transfer thread has been turned into a political thread now thanks to someone saying he couldn't pronounce African surnames or something along those lines , he's apologised as he has upset a few on here , unintentionaly , so move on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to help old folks like me out so I don’t say anything wrong.

Is it racist to make a joke about all difficult to pronounce. Like Nuhiu for example or just ones that appear to have an African origin ( though that’s fairly tricky to define)

Is referring God an issue in itself, or just wether or not someone believes in God.

I do find the ever changing quicksand of accepted terminology a bit of a minefield.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1