Paul Cook - Get him in

14 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Here we go..remind us, why on earth he would come here? 

And even if he did he’d end up on the ever lengthening list of managers who come in, get chewed up and spat out again.

We are a total mess of a club and heading for very troubled times.

So many nonsense posts like this. Of course managers will queue up for the job because at the end of the day, Sheffield Wednesday is still a very big club regardless of Chansiri's incompetence. The fact is that managers are a bit like goalkeepers - out of their minds! They also have massive egos and Cook will undoubtedly believe he is the man to turn this freaking juggernaut around. 

• Like 1

Don't see us realistically getting the likes of Pearson or Howe, it'll more than likely be a leftfield appointment or underwhelming appointment of someone out of work for years. However, hope we go for someone like Ryan Lowe or Paul Cook, etc someone on the rise over here and more attack minded than Pulis and Monk. 

1 minute ago, Devonstrix said:

So many nonsense posts like this. Of course managers will queue up for the job because at the end of the day, Sheffield Wednesday is still a very big club regardless of Chansiri's incompetence. The fact is that managers are a bit like goalkeepers - out of their minds! They also have massive egos and Cook will undoubtedly believe he is the man to turn this freaking juggernaut around. 

Still a big club 

lol

Remove the stadium and there isn't much else about us in our current state that could be classed as big.  

Cook will have other options and with clubs that are going somewhere other than backwards - which is the current direction this one is heading in.

We are not an attractive option which is why the list of prospective managers is not an appealing one.

:

Gurujuan said this talking about Paul Cook at Wigan:

"That was a phenomenal run, but what had gone before was dire"

Chesterfield and Portsmouth fans were though gutted when Cook was head-hunted away as he had won promotion for both clubs.

On 29/12/2020 at 18:42, Earlsfieldowl said:

Cook will have other options and with clubs that are going somewhere other than backwards - which is the current direction this one is heading in.

We are not an attractive option which is why the list of prospective managers is not an appealing one.

Where do think he will go?...what are these options you speak of?

The list is just that a list...put together by the bookies. Who would you add to it?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Where do think he will go?...what are these options you speak of?

The list is just that a list...put together by the bookies. Who would you add to it?

He will go wherever he thinks is the best/right option.  I doubt he is in a rush either.

All I was saying is that I didn’t think we would be what he is looking for but it now appears he has already been contacted - so we’ll have to see what happens next.

On 29/12/2020 at 18:18, Earlsfieldowl said:

Here we go..remind us, why on earth he would come here? 

And even if he did he’d end up on the ever lengthening list of managers who come in, get chewed up and spat out again.

We are a total mess of a club and heading for very troubled times.

Somebody has got to come, mess are not.

I will post this for the third time. This is not my opinion, I am merely feeding back what several (pretty much everyone to a man) says about Cook. I live in Wigan and most of my mates are Athletic fans.

He was largely despised at Wigan, despite results and including during his run of results at the end. That said, he did quieten down his detractors, but they never went. The reasons:

Attritional football, poor to watch

Bizarre team selection and unable to influence games, making bizarre changes

Clashed with certain players, he couldn’t manage the big players who didn’t dance to his tune. While Windass is an example, it was mainly the kid who went to Leeds. The Wigan fans had him down as the next Pele, but Cook wouldn’t play him....

I will now receive dogs abuse for posting this. This is what several people have told me, apologies for giving you this version of events.

My opinion, for what it is worth, is I think the job would be too big for him. Like the Cowleys, he is a proven motivator at Lge 1 and below level, who may be able to transfer those skills to a higher division. If everything in the camp were rosy and all he had to do was coach the first team, I would maybe go with him. With everything else going on, I think we need a coach who has worked at a higher standard for long periods. Who can take on all aspects of this job, as well as getting results on the pitch.

• Thanks 3

42 minutes ago, Pieman said:

I will post this for the third time. This is not my opinion, I am merely feeding back what several (pretty much everyone to a man) says about Cook. I live in Wigan and most of my mates are Athletic fans.

He was largely despised at Wigan, despite results and including during his run of results at the end. That said, he did quieten down his detractors, but they never went. The reasons:

Attritional football, poor to watch

Bizarre team selection and unable to influence games, making bizarre changes

Clashed with certain players, he couldn’t manage the big players who didn’t dance to his tune. While Windass is an example, it was mainly the kid who went to Leeds. The Wigan fans had him down as the next Pele, but Cook wouldn’t play him....

I will now receive dogs abuse for posting this. This is what several people have told me, apologies for giving you this version of events.

My opinion, for what it is worth, is I think the job would be too big for him. Like the Cowleys, he is a proven motivator at Lge 1 and below level, who may be able to transfer those skills to a higher division. If everything in the camp were rosy and all he had to do was coach the first team, I would maybe go with him. With everything else going on, I think we need a coach who has worked at a higher standard for long periods. Who can take on all aspects of this job, as well as getting results on the pitch.

No abuse mate, good to hear the good and the bad. But always tempered with the natural bias that all fans have towards ex managers. 

Surprises me looking from the outside, but didn't expect him to be Klopp or Guardiola. 

Not changed my opinion, but still keen to see who else we're talking to.

21 minutes ago, striker said:

No abuse mate, good to hear the good and the bad. But always tempered with the natural bias that all fans have towards ex managers. 

Surprises me looking from the outside, but didn't expect him to be Klopp or Guardiola. 

Not changed my opinion, but still keen to see who else we're talking to.

Agreed mate. He deserves to be on a short list of 5. However, I do hope we are speaking to other managers and may the best man win.

• Like 1

It is good that we have UK managers on the list as nobody wants another Luhukay calamity.

Happy with a European manager but Barnsley would need to choose him because they are rather good at it.

We need to hurry up and land Paukl Cook because the way things are going there could be vavancies at Brum and mayne Millwall shortly.