Paul Cook - Get him in

3 hours ago, Pieman said:

I will post this for the third time. This is not my opinion, I am merely feeding back what several (pretty much everyone to a man) says about Cook. I live in Wigan and most of my mates are Athletic fans.

He was largely despised at Wigan, despite results and including during his run of results at the end. That said, he did quieten down his detractors, but they never went. The reasons:

Attritional football, poor to watch

Bizarre team selection and unable to influence games, making bizarre changes

Clashed with certain players, he couldn’t manage the big players who didn’t dance to his tune. While Windass is an example, it was mainly the kid who went to Leeds. The Wigan fans had him down as the next Pele, but Cook wouldn’t play him....

I will now receive dogs abuse for posting this. This is what several people have told me, apologies for giving you this version of events.

My opinion, for what it is worth, is I think the job would be too big for him. Like the Cowleys, he is a proven motivator at Lge 1 and below level, who may be able to transfer those skills to a higher division. If everything in the camp were rosy and all he had to do was coach the first team, I would maybe go with him. With everything else going on, I think we need a coach who has worked at a higher standard for long periods. Who can take on all aspects of this job, as well as getting results on the pitch.

Thank you for posting this 

Very worrying indeed

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

The problem is that we do not know how many people Pieman knows in Wigan .  It could be just the one.

All I will say is that Portsmouth a much larger football club than Wigan and they fought tooth and nail to keep him after Paul Cook led them to promotion.

Many were devastated when Paul Cook was head hunted away.

I know a lot of people in Pompey through work contact and they still love Paul Cook and his brand of attackng winning football.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

It is good that we have UK managers on the list as nobody wants another Luhukay calamity.

Happy with a European manager but Barnsley would need to choose him because they are rather good at it.

We need to hurry up and land Paukl Cook because the way things are going there could be vavancies at Brum and mayne Millwall shortly.

We don't want a Monk or Pulis Calamity either.

On 29/12/2020 at 16:34, mcmigo said:

But it did and they went down.

as I said, literally out of every single person alive today on earth, Paul cook is the most recent person to relegate a team from this league who had a points deduction .

Not a mere 6 point one though. 

On 29/12/2020 at 15:13, Blatter said:

I think any manager considering taking the job should be asking for some very strong commitments from the owner.

The first being that he has the resources to pay his first year’s salary up front.

Secondly, Having got over that hurdle then that playing staff can be paid in full and on time.

Third that he then has the resources to bring in the minimum of four players needed to balance the squad in January.

Any manager is on a hiding to nothing without those firm commitments.

Sadly though any manager strong enough to make those demands won’t get the job.

Based on these slightly odd requirements, I think you're going to be disappointed.

Guest gizowl
33 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Very worrying indeed

Well its a gamble whoever we choose and who you want to believe I work with a few Spireites and they've said get Cook all along, they love him and just look at their demise since he went to pompey and he only left because Dave Allen wouldn't back him when they were in with a realistic chance of getting promoted to the championship. 

On 29/12/2020 at 17:39, Lord Snooty said:

As long as it's someone who play nice football as the club implodes to oblivion ....that's the main thing...

Still banging that drum? We saw what ultra defensive got us. Your sweet talking  man bottled it. Good at press conferences. Poor at managing Sheffield Wednesday.

The ideal candidate is someone to keep us up this season and then press forward with an attacking style that gets results in this division and will enthuse the fan base. Pulis could do neither. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest gizowl
41 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Very worrying indeed

What's your thoughts on the situation then Mr font of all knowledge.? 

3 hours ago, Pieman said:

I will post this for the third time. This is not my opinion, I am merely feeding back what several (pretty much everyone to a man) says about Cook. I live in Wigan and most of my mates are Athletic fans.

He was largely despised at Wigan, despite results and including during his run of results at the end. That said, he did quieten down his detractors, but they never went. The reasons:

Clashed with certain players, he couldn’t manage the big players who didn’t dance to his tune. While Windass is an example, it was mainly the kid who went to Leeds. The Wigan fans had him down as the next Pele, but Cook wouldn’t play him....

I will now receive dogs abuse for posting this. This is what several people have told me, apologies for giving you this version of events.

My opinion, for what it is worth, is I think the job would be too big for him. Like the Cowleys, he is a proven motivator at Lge 1 and below level, who may be able to transfer those skills to a higher division. If everything in the camp were rosy and all he had to do was coach the first team, I would maybe go with him. With everything else going on, I think we need a coach who has worked at a higher standard for long periods. Who can take on all aspects of this job, as well as getting results on the pitch.

This ties in with my knowledge of Cook too, as I said in another thread I think he would have been a good fit for us under Mandaric but I can’t see him being the right man for Chansiri.  I think we need something different who the players and Chansiri will respect, who can handle the bigger personalities at the club.  But of course I will support whoever Chansiri chooses 100% 

• Like 1

Just now, rickygoo said:

Still banging that drum? We saw what ultra defensive got us. Your sweet talking  man bottled it. Good at press conferences. Poor at managing Sheffield Wednesday.

The ideal candidate is someone to keep us up this season and then press forward with an attacking style that gets results in this division and will enthuse the fan base. Pulis could do neither. 

I'm not banging any drum .

Just saying there's more than one way to skin a cat. 

And yes, ive seen what defensive has got us.

9 points points from Coventry, Middlesbrough and Derby and a single from Blackburn 

Pulis was never my man. Just playing devil's advocate.

I just hoped he'd do well while he was here - like I do them all.

I agree on your last point. Always have.

Happy New year Miss Havishsam

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I'm not banging any drum .

Just saying there's more than one way to skin a cat. 

And yes, ive seen what defensive has got us.

9 points points from Coventry, Middlesbrough and Derby and a single from Blackburn 

Pulis was never my man. Just playing devil's advocate.

I just hoped he'd do well while he was here - like I do them all.

I agree on your last point. Always have.

Happy New year Miss Havishsam

Sadly I walked down the aisle. 

• Love 1

Guest gizowl
17 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

This ties in with my knowledge of Cook too, as I said in another thread I think he would have been a good fit for us under Mandaric but I can’t see him being the right man for Chansiri.  I think we need something different who the players and Chansiri will respect, who can handle the bigger personalities at the club.  But of course I will support whoever Chansiri chooses 100% 

Don't think big personalities will be an issue the remaining few will be gone in the summer. And whatever Chansiri promises his chosen candidate to take the job he must deliver without interference. 

Not quite sure about this clamour to get Paul Cook in. As someone has mentioned, he didn’t survive with Wigan when they had a points deduction. 
Also, Wednesday is a far bigger club than the likes of Portsmouth and Wigan. 
I don’t have much more to add, it’s just a gut feeling, really not sure he’s the right man. 
(and yeah the Scouse accent puts  me off big time)! 

I think a foreign appointment could be the way forward this time, simply because all of the British candidates are quite uninspiring. The realistic ones anyway! I’d have Pearson or Howe any day of the week! 

7 hours ago, Pieman said:

You've scared me now...

On 30/12/2020 at 03:52, Owls Loyal said:

Biggs who clearly has contacts in the Paul Cook camp has indicated that he would take the SWFC job.

Cook plays an attacking brand of football, spots good young loanees, e.g Reece James at Chelsea and has won promotions at Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan Athletic.

He has been a serial winner in football management.

He has also never managed above championship level and is hardly a young up and coming manager.

I really don't see the attraction.

On 29/12/2020 at 23:34, mcmigo said:

But it did and they went down.

as I said, literally out of every single person alive today on earth, Paul cook is the most recent person to relegate a team from this league who had a points deduction .

Had been six instead of twelve they would have finished above us. If you are going to compare at least make it a fair comparison. 

14 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

It is good that we have UK managers on the list as nobody wants another Luhukay calamity.

Happy with a European manager but Barnsley would need to choose him because they are rather good at it.

We need to hurry up and land Paukl Cook because the way things are going there could be vavancies at Brum and mayne Millwall shortly.

Be an owlstalk meltdown if Rowett gets sacked and doesnt get approached by us.