Paul Cook - Get him in

Blue & White ignores any manager who learns his trade in the lower leagues.

At SUFC someone said Wilder had never managed at Championship level but has had great success at Oxford and Northampton.

He then gets the job and takes them from mid League One to the Premier League in 4 years.

Getting into the PL alone means a cheque for £150 million a season!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, mancowl08 said:

Not quite sure about this clamour to get Paul Cook in. As someone has mentioned, he didn’t survive with Wigan when they had a points deduction. 
Also, Wednesday is a far bigger club than the likes of Portsmouth and Wigan. 
I don’t have much more to add, it’s just a gut feeling, really not sure he’s the right man. 
(and yeah the Scouse accent puts  me off big time)! 

I think a foreign appointment could be the way forward this time, simply because all of the British candidates are quite uninspiring. The realistic ones anyway! I’d have Pearson or Howe any day of the week! 

If the foreign short list is as stated it makes British managers look spectacular. 

Morais relegated Barnsley

Baltazhar assistant at Forest until sacked 2 months ago.

Perex a donkey by any method you want to use.

Fink no experience of English football and enjoyed best success in Japan cup competitions. Recent performances in Europe were poor.

We need somebody to galvanize players no market and bring in 3/4 players who can help s get out of mess.

Presumably they will have to get a work permit to work here. 

I have no idea how long this will take but none could be described as individuals with talent which not available in this country.

12 minutes ago, Yorksowl said:

No time at all.......Thompson appears to have galvanised the players, knows where the weak areas, know the players, are and more imporantly, doesnt require a work permit. Anyone out there who as better than those credentials must be pretty good. A couple of weeks ago most on here were saying we were doomed and div 1 was beckoning, so whats there to lose at this  stage. 

Thompson has done well, players are really playing for him.

He also appears to be lucky in previous games this season we have not had much but in last two things have gone our way. I would be a little worried this isj ust new manager bounce effect. Whatever happens has done decent job and bought DC some time. 

If we are bringing someone in needs to be in early this week to allow them time with team.

Great post by uist imo:

Read more  

If the foreign short list is as stated it makes British managers look spectacular. 

Fink no experience of English football and enjoyed best success in Japan cup competitions. Recent performances in Europe were poor.

We need somebody to galvanize players no market and bring in 3/4 players who can help s get out of mess.

• Like 1

Good to see this morning that Paul Cook is still leading in the betting to be next SWFC Manager on SKY Bet.

Apparently Cook has spent some time since leaving Wigan watching some U23 matches

I am sure he wil have spotted some great loanee options just as he did at Wigan, e.g. Reece James from Chelsea.

Time to get this appointment done.

On 02/01/2021 at 23:40, mancowl08 said:

As someone has mentioned, he didn’t survive with Wigan when they had a points deduction. 

I'm not really sure what this means...without the points deduction they would have survived. The club was put into administration by the owners that's why he walked 

Guest gizowl
1 hour ago, daveyboy66 said:

I'm not really sure what this means...without the points deduction they would have survived. The club was put into administration by the owners that's why he walked 

We would have gone down and quite a few others with a 12 point deduction. LOL

On 03/01/2021 at 17:01, Yorksowl said:

No time at all.......Thompson appears to have galvanised the players, knows where the weak areas, know the players, are and more imporantly, doesnt require a work permit. Anyone out there who as better than those credentials must be pretty good. A couple of weeks ago most on here were saying we were doomed and div 1 was beckoning, so whats there to lose at this  stage. 

No he hasn't. The team were awful v Derby.

• Like 2

To be fair to Thomson he has had some fortune but I think we have tried to be more positive and sometimes you get the breaks and sometimes you do not.

I wonder could Thomson work with Paul Cook?  They are both plain speakers or so it would seem.

Not quite sure about this clamour to get Paul Cook in. As someone has mentioned, he didn’t survive with Wigan when they had a points deduction. 
Also, Wednesday is a far bigger club than the likes of Portsmouth and Wigan. 
I don’t have much more to add, it’s just a gut feeling, really not sure he’s the right man. 
(and yeah the Scouse accent puts  me off big time)! 

I think a foreign appointment could be the way forward this time, simply because all of the British candidates are quite uninspiring. The realistic ones anyway! I’d have Pearson or Howe any day of the week! 

Bigger than Pompey?  Don't think many outside Sheffield would agree with that.  Both Wigan and Pompey have won the FA Cup in the last 10 years or so.  When did we last win it?

Anyway, its irrelevant.  Todays football is all about financial backing, sponsorship etc, which we aren't very good at.   It's not about who gets the biggest crowds, or who won most tropies in the 1800's.  We need to take lessons from tiny clubs like Bournemouth Watford and Brentford. Even Barnsley.

As for Cook, he had his Wigan side 7-0 up at Hull City six months ago, and it wasn't even half-time!   I'd welcome that attacking intent. No 11 men behind the ball for Cookie when they go a goal up away from home, in what was, at the time, a huge relegation battle.

• Haha 1

Thompson has got lucky in the two games imo? More or less sane tactics as pulis employed and same team ? Just slightly changed set up ? We didn’t deserve to win v derby but hey ho should avoid had a result against Norwich to pick just one? Glad pulis ball gone just hope whoever comes in needs 4/5 players? Cook for me used to working on a small budget and certainly seems to have an eye for a player? Antonee Robinson Jamal Lowe kiefer Moore all went for big money in the summer? Remains to be seen whether he could work at billy smarts circus tho eh 

41 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

Bigger than Pompey?  Don't think many outside Sheffield would agree with that.

Think most people in the entire world would think we are..

42 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

We need to take lessons from tiny clubs like Bournemouth Watford and Brentford. Even Barnsley.

But you are cherry picking clubs that are doing quite well at this moment in time.

For instance, Barnsley wouldn't have been on your list 6 months ago, Bournmouth have 25 bazillion parachute money..what lessons can they give us.

Watford?

Brentford maybe..

How do you take lessons from clubs doing ok?

2 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

Bigger than Pompey?  Don't think many outside Sheffield would agree with that.  Both Wigan and Pompey have won the FA Cup in the last 10 years or so.  When did we last win it?

Anyway, its irrelevant.  Todays football is all about financial backing, sponsorship etc, which we aren't very good at.   It's not about who gets the biggest crowds, or who won most tropies in the 1800's.  We need to take lessons from tiny clubs like Bournemouth Watford and Brentford. Even Barnsley.

As for Cook, he had his Wigan side 7-0 up at Hull City six months ago, and it wasn't even half-time!   I'd welcome that attacking intent. No 11 men behind the ball for Cookie when they go a goal up away from home, in what was, at the time, a huge relegation battle.

We have bigger potential following than all clubs you mention. Which makes us bigger.

I agree it is about financial backing and tiny clubs you mention all now have significant financial backing.

Brentford are the ones lessons can be learned from in their recruitment of players has been excellent. However the model they use will have been impacted by Brexit in many recruits they have brought into country would no longer be eligible for a work permit. Unknown players from lower leagues will not be given work permit. 

Be interesting to see what happens in next couple of years.

On 04/01/2021 at 09:36, Owls Loyal said:

Great post by uist imo:

Read more  

Yes, Cook is a rose amongst a bed of thorns.

And it's not often that that can be said about Cookie.

lol

On 29/12/2020 at 15:24, cowl said:

If we're to stand any chance of getting through this season without relegation, we first and foremost need a good coach.

It doesn't matter whether he's a ‘yes’ man. In fact, it would be a considerable advantage all around if he is.

We just need to get through to the summer. So whatever old tat any money DC puts up for transfers this January just has to be accepted for what it is, but most importantly we need a coach that can work with that.

Who? I've no idea in all honesty. But putting names forward is a mug's game anyway considering it's DC who's making the decisions.

Yeah I agree bud, I said the other day we need a head coach, someone like S. G when he was here. A proper manager will want more control over things than DC is willing to relenquish, so wil always be at loggerheads with DC like pullis was. 

• Like 1