Lees and Borner

They’ve had their critics individually but what a pairing they’ve been recently.

Neither quick. One slug-like, but boy it’s working. Neither overly tall, but they win virtually everything in the air. Their specialities are courage and last-ditch blocks. 

I think Pulis is great for them. He’ll insist on safety first and won’t expect them to be stroking the ball around. That will suit Lees especially.

It’s a terrific base to our team. We have problems, but not in central defence. Once we get Iorfa back, let alone Dunkley (honestly not a clue about his ability, can’t recall him at all) it presents brilliant options for how Pulis wants to set us up. 

• Like 7

Defensive strength has been a general constant during DC’s time as chairman. Even in each of the last two difficult seasons we’ve had an half season where we’ve been particularly strong at the back. We only conceded 20 in the first 23 games of last season before the wheels spectacularly came off.

I think the arrival of Pulis will only make us stronger in this regard.

• Like 2

Always been a good partnership that until it got messed with. Changing personnel and formation is never going to get the best out of your CBs. 

Going to be be interesting once Flint, Iorfa and Dunkley are back. I can see Iorfa playing RB and Pulis clearly rates Flint after signing him for Boro.

• Like 2

For me, the defence has been pretty solid and consistent since Stuart Gray (even with all the injuries). Fans seem to think it’s weak and needs strengthening, but we have plenty of options. When a team has a minimal attacking outlet and a midfield that’s non exsistent, you’re defending for 80% of the game,  so you’re bound to concede silly goals. Fair play to Lees and Borner for being solid of late. I wouldn’t bring Dom in at the moment! UTO

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

They’ve had their critics individually but what a pairing they’ve been recently.

Neither quick. One slug-like, but boy it’s working. Neither overly tall, but they win virtually everything in the air. Their specialities are courage and last-ditch blocks. 

I think Pulis is great for them. He’ll insist on safety first and won’t expect them to be stroking the ball around. That will suit Lees especially.

It’s a terrific base to our team. We have problems, but not in central defence. Once we get Iorfa back, let alone Dunkley (honestly not a clue about his ability, can’t recall him at all) it presents brilliant options for how Pulis wants to set us up. 

Lees has been a stalwart ever since he signed. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Guest LondonOwl313

Just goes to show how much of a mess Monk has made of the squad building.. we now have at least 4 centre halfs who you’d put down to start most weeks in Lees, Borner, Iorfa and Flint, plus the crocked Dunkley and Van Aken as well. So 6... and one out and out striker who hasn’t scored regularly for 5 years. It’s no wonder we’re only good at one end of the pitch

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Iorfa and Flint will be straight back in I think purely based on their size. The majority of our goals from now on will be set peices! 

I'd still be very interested to see Iorfa in midfield! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dylan93 said:

For me, the defence has been pretty solid and consistent since Stuart Gray (even with all the injuries). Fans seem to think it’s weak and needs strengthening, but we have plenty of options. When a team has a minimal attacking outlet and a midfield that’s non exsistent, you’re defending for 80% of the game,  so you’re bound to concede silly goals. Fair play to Lees and Borner for being solid of late. I wouldn’t bring Dom in at the moment! UTO

Two additional players need at the back.. Proper old school left back and a experienced keeper (not Westwood)