Will Pulis surprise us today with an attacking approach?

36 minutes ago, horny owl said:

Absolutely spot on about our recent managers starting with attacking football then reverting to negative, defensive rubbish.

Jones was another example of it

Im hoping Pulis doesn’t carry this recipe for disaster forward and has learned from their mistakes

Especially the mistakes of ‘calamity carlos’

soon as I saw the title of this thread that was my exact thought. 

Think pulis will release the shackles initially but will soon revert back as you say to what he knows best, rightly or wrongly. 

The bizarre Argument is coming out again that you can’t have , at Wednesday, both winning and good football. It’s either bad football and winning , or good football and losing.

this despite the last 6 teams to be promoted from this league all playing good, winning, attacking football. 

6 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

The bizarre Argument is coming out again that you can’t have , at Wednesday, both winning and good football. It’s either bad football and winning , or good football and losing.

this despite the last 6 teams to be promoted from this league all playing good, winning, attacking football. 

And the argument doesn't address any genuine problems, at best attacks a strawman, and comes with a whole bunch of cult-like qualifiers such as "not a real" or "fair-weather" etc.

40 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

He says he’ll asses the squad and play to our strengths. 

In my mind one of our strengths is a potentially quality midfield three of Brown/Luongo/Bannan. So I hope he sticks to his word, recognises that and plays quickly through

midfield - not smashing it over their heads. 

That's been the problem for the last 5 seasons, a midfield that is light weight and slow to build the game.

14 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Different world some fans mate. We need to start winning ugly again, finding a winning mentality and being difficult to beat. Once we’ve got that foundation back which we had under Stuart Gray, we can start thinking about adding quality and playing pretty football.

100% this

But the absolute truth/fact is that once we start winning games, if we're winning them with defensive dire football then the fans will call for more expansive entertainment

It's always been the case

(And it doesn't make those calling for it 'blades' either no matter how much the cool kids will try to claim it does)

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

100% this

But the absolute truth/fact is that once we start winning games, if we're winning them with defensive dire football then the fans will call for more expansive entertainment

It's always been the case

(And it doesn't make those calling for it 'blades' either no matter how much the cool kids will try to claim it does)

They will and I think this is what DC wants too. He’ll want us to play nice football. 

But at the moment the club is broken and I genuinely think Pulis is the man to change the culture here and make us a difficult side to play against. 

I think this will prove to be the best appointment the club has made in years and years. It really does feel like right man at the right time.

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

They will and I think this is what DC wants too. He’ll want us to play nice football. 

But at the moment the club is broken and I genuinely think Pulis is the man to change the culture here and make us a difficult side to play against. 

I think this will prove to be the best appointment the club has made in years and years. It really does feel like right man at the right time.

Let's hope so

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, adelphi1867 said:

Dont't play football in our half, get the ball into the opposition half as early as possible and then play football.

It both terrifies and makes me angry when I see 'Defender's' playing the ball ACROSS their penalty area.

WTF is all that about?.

Probably started with managers getting coaching badges

Owlstalk Shop

51 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

In my mind one of our strengths is a potentially quality midfield three of Brown/Luongo/Bannan. So I hope he sticks to his word, recognises that and plays quickly through

Have these three in midfield and an advance forward three with pace directness and mobility 

Harris.          Kachunga.           Windass 

57 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

Absolutely this, though I’m not optimistic

Has he ever played attacking football, I have not seen any evidence of it during his managerial career!!

We will no doubt be very organised defensively, however with our very shortage of fire power up front be 

interesting to see how he is going to get us scoring, given very limited options.

I just want us to be hard to beat, feel like we can compete against any team. 

For too long we've worried that the supposed bottom teams being too gritty and determined for us to beat, or the top teams having too much class for us. 

Carlos season one and Bruce short stint, we've otherwise seemed too easy to roll over. Carlos season two felt dour and always on edge like we'd scraped the wins. 

Hard to beat will mean hard working players, leaving it all out on the pitch, that to me is what i want to see, because then you only need 3-4 players with class to drive you up the table. We first need to be solid, safely stay in this league, then add quality, which will be good to watch. 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Again - that all sounds noble and great on paper but in reality after watching game after game of dire football even if we win people won't be happy

That's been proven in times gone by

There's never been a time when dire football has been celebrated or even accepted by Wednesday fans - it just never happens - what happens is that initially of course it's great we're winning but after a while it gets unacceptable to many to play that way

There’s never been a time when dire football has brought win after win, so celebrating has never been an option.