Will Pulis surprise us today with an attacking approach?

Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 11.55.49.jpg

When he was employed Tony Pulis claimed that he's been pidgeonholed into an image of long hoofball manager that tries to scrape a 1-0 win in dull dire footballing games

He also said that he will try and put together and approach using the players we have at the club, playing to their strengths, before he phases into the style that he prefers and wants to play.

So...

Do you think he will surprise us today with the style/standard of football we get to watch?

Also - do you think that he will go down the route of pretty much every Wednesday manager of starting off playing attacking football then getting hit by the same disease that all Wednesday managers do, where they start to tighten up, play more cautious defensive football before failing and getting fired?

It happens to them all, Carlos, Megson etc - all started off firing on all cylinders and giving us hope but then changing and evolving into timid, dull, boring football that led the chairmen to make the change and bring in a more forward thinking approach again.

I hope we get exciting, attacking football today, but more than that. I hope we get exciting, attacking football for years to come and that Pulis can deliver this ongoing.

If he can, and with his approach and honesty from a communication point off view - he could go down as an absolute legend at this football club

What are you expecting today?

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Absolutely spot on about our recent managers starting with attacking football then reverting to negative, defensive rubbish.

Jones was another example of it

Im hoping Pulis doesn’t carry this recipe for disaster forward and has learned from their mistakes

Especially the mistakes of ‘calamity carlos’

1 minute ago, GlasgOwl said:

Settle for winning football.

11 dull 1-0 wins until the January window be just fine here.

I think people believe this, but in reality will definitely moan about the attractiveness of the football sooner or later

(nothing wrong with that by the way - it's the way of the football fan to want to be entertained)

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, GlasgOwl said:

I will never moan how a win is achieved mate, those precious 3 points every time is paramount.

Honestly, can have us playing ol' Wimbledon style if the wins rack up.

I just want us up this league and then out it, next season at latest.

Always attractive when the goals fly in for us remember.

Again - that all sounds noble and great on paper but in reality after watching game after game of dire football even if we win people won't be happy

That's been proven in times gone by

There's never been a time when dire football has been celebrated or even accepted by Wednesday fans - it just never happens - what happens is that initially of course it's great we're winning but after a while it gets unacceptable to many to play that way

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, GlasgOwl said:

Never get my head round that mentality.

In any league the world over, you're lucky if a team plays 10 exciting games a season.

Most league games are dull, the world over.

If we have 6 exciting games between now and seasons end I will be happy.

The rest can be boring 1-0 wins and dull draws.

The points rack up.

Better to be effective than exciting.

Effective clocks them points up.

Even so - it's still the truth that fans will only tolerate dire 1-0 wins for so long before getting unhappy

it's what happens

Owlstalk Shop

Guest everydays_wednesday
21 minutes ago, Hodgyowl said:

He will no doubt play to the teams strengths, Rome wasn't built in a day.

And Gibbons “The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire” wasn’t read in one!

(one for fans of Tony Hancock”)

Just now, GlasgOwl said:

If TP's brand of football is dire and gets us the required results to motor up the league, are you complaining?

Again you're missing the whole point of the argument as you immediately shot off to call Wednesday fans Blades if they wanted to be entertained whilst we won games.

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, adifferentgame said:

Amazing that people can still talk as if "attractive football" and "winning games" is a rigid dichotomy after watching us fail to get points with some of the most turgid football in our history under Monk.

Different world some fans mate. We need to start winning ugly again, finding a winning mentality and being difficult to beat. Once we’ve got that foundation back which we had under Stuart Gray, we can start thinking about adding quality and playing pretty football.

• Like 1