England men's fixtures omdt.

2 hours ago, scram said:

One of those occasions where a manager strikes lucky at a club and earns a reputation because of it

He got the england gig because he's mates with dan ashworth - the hideously overrated technical director

It is a cabal - no doubt

I remember the press pushing this a few years ago but it seemingly managed to get swept under the carpet. I thought they were more than mates, wasn't Boothroyd best man at Ashworth's wedding?

Ashworth left the FA a couple of years ago though and yet the FA have still failed to address Boothroyd's poor performance and unsuitability for the job with his style of play. 

Steady if unspectacular start against San Marino. Chilwell and Ward-Prowse the stand-outs for me. Bellingham impressed in the second half.

It’ll be tougher in Albania but Poland is the acid test. Expecting our defence and subsequently Pope to be more exposed next Wednesday.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jim said:

Steady if unspectacular start against San Marino. Chilwell and Ward-Prowse the stand-outs for me. Bellingham impressed in the second half.

It’ll be tougher in Albania but Poland is the acid test. Expecting our defence and subsequently Pope to be more exposed next Wednesday.

Agree. Hungary & Poland drawing was probably as significant as us winning. Special mention for SM keeper who kept the score reasonable. 

• Like 2

I completely forgot about the game last night. Only realised when i saw the highlights were on last night on ITV when I was channel hopping.

There's never been a reason to pick Lingard but now we have all the attacking talent in the world he gets back in? I think he had 12 shots on goal last night and, while the keeper made a couple of good saves, he should have scored four. He's not good enough.

We need to build the team around Foden and Bellingham. Have those two in the middle of the park with a holding midfielder behind them. Grealish on the left, Sterling on the right and Kane up top. Play expansively. 

• Like 2

On 25/03/2021 at 12:05, Incognito Owl said:

Good points, we always seem to score around 4/5 though while other teams score more. 

I haven't really been following us since around 2017/18 and I haven't been following the PL etc. closely, so haven't really seen some players a lot/kinda at all, so don't laugh haha, but here is my team for San Marino (are we still playing 3-5-2 as well?): 

4-2-3-1

pitch.php?1=Johnstone&2=Shaw&3=Stones&4= 

Johnstone as it gives him a game etc. and we won't be tested much.

Shaw as he's back and been playing good, if not Chilwell.

Stones, same as Shaw, and Coady as I don't rate Dier (At best I would have him for CDM), Maguire and Mings (has he improved?) If so Mings/Stones then.

James, same as Johnstone/he's young, if not Walker/Trippier.

Rice? For some strength etc. in midfield. I didn't like him before, but he's improved? Foden? If not Ward-Prowse/Bellingham?

Saka? He's left footed, if not Sterling/Rashford?

Mount? If not Lingard/W-P/Bellingham?

Lingard on the right or centrally? Same as Shaw/Stones, if not Sterling? 

Calvert-Lewin kinda same as James.

Stones/Coady Captain?

How did I do haha?

@Dronfield Blue I got 6 players right, I must have some Southgate in me.lolIn my main/best team though, I would probably have that back 4/mixed in with the other defenders, Rice, Foden and maybe Mount in a 4-3-3. I would be better at picking them nearer to the official Euro team release though. Still I don't think we will win though, probably get to the R16/QF at best. If we did win it I wouldn't be that bothered anyway, I'm more looking forward to/watching the competition as a whole. My pashun for England stopped really after the 2014 WC when I was a teenager. Like I said I just enjoy the tournaments now, it's way more enjoyable too. Petty I can't do all that with Wednesday haha.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Incognito Owl said:

@Dronfield Blue I got 6 players right, I must have some Southgate in me.lolIn my main/best team though, I would probably have that back 4/mixed in with the other defenders, Rice, Foden and maybe Mount in a 4-3-3. I would be better at picking them nearer to the official Euro team release though. Still I don't think we will win though, probably get to the R16/QF at best. If we did win it I wouldn't be that bothered anyway, I'm more looking forward to/watching the competition as a whole. My pashun for England stopped really after the 2014 WC when I was a teenager. Like I said I just enjoy the tournaments now, it's way more enjoyable too. Petty I can't do all that with Wednesday haha.

Nice to see Watkins score, he's one for the future.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Huncho said:

I haven’t been a fan of Lingard in the past but you can’t knock him and how he’s come back playing the way he is. Undoubted talent. No problem with him being in the Euros 

Same here. I actually rate him, gets loads of harsh criticism IMO 

16 hours ago, Huncho said:

I haven’t been a fan of Lingard in the past but you can’t knock him and how he’s come back playing the way he is. Undoubted talent. No problem with him being in the Euros 

8 hours ago, markg said:

Same here. I actually rate him, gets loads of harsh criticism IMO 

The problem is we literally have loads of awesome attacking midfielders that are much better and it’s enough of a struggle to fit them in yet he’s also adding Lingard into the mix that is nowhere near as good but no doubt will take a much better player’s squad place.