Iconic Sheffield Wednesday Pictures Thread

I remember after the Oldham riots and the subsequent banning of standing spectators, during a night game, Curran scored a goal a belter and slid on his knees towards an empty kop to celebrate. 

I can’t remember the opposition but, IIRC, it was his first game back after his ban after being sent  off. 

I think scoring that goal meant a hell of a lot to him. 

Anyway, there was a photo, under flood lights, was in most of the press, the following day, showing that celebration in front of the kop which was, IMO, iconic. It just gave the impression of TC being a loner in that moment, particularly after all the vilification he had to endure after the Oldham game. 

Not sure if it’s still available. Would love to see it again. 

• Thanks 1

On 24/10/2020 at 18:59, marconi said:

image.jpeg.af4081aebba47b213bad8a9072d62f5c.jpeg

Proper iconic photo that! My God John Fantham could strike a ball. Big heavy buggers dem balls in dem days da knows! Should be in Charlie Hughes coaching manual that, in a section titled “How to flippin kick the flippin poo out of a ball”

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Elderly Owl said:

John Fantham v Leicester ( we lost ) They played in red shirts. Best photo ever- had it on my bedroom wall !

Was just going to post the same.My favourite Wednesday photo of my favourite ever Wednesday player.

I kept scrapbooks of action photos cut from the Sunday and Monday morning papers but that one was extra special and adorned my bedroom wall for years along with one of Ron mid save turning the ball round the post.

It makes you sad when you compare those guys with the nobodies of today’s team 

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

Was just going to post the same.My favourite Wednesday photo of my favourite ever Wednesday player.

I kept scrapbooks of action photos cut from the Sunday and Monday morning papers but that one was extra special and adorned my bedroom wall for years along with one of Ron mid save turning the ball round the post.

It makes you sad when you compare those guys with the nobodies of today’s team 

Told this many times but always worth repeating. Ron Springett travelled on the same train as us after each home game. Every time he was beseiged by autograph hunters and us all wanting to talk to our hero. He never ever said no to any of us and was a true gentleman....and the best keeper we and England ever had.

• Love 2