“Not where I want to play” - Adam Reach

Reach's best quality is delivering early balls from the left. I think in modern football we have to accept wing backs are more important offensively than defensively  Therefore I think in this formation he's a decent fit, although he will frustrate when going backwards 

Just have to hope there are more ups than downs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, slinger208b said:

The original post discredited right there...

How? There's a whole world of difference between actually contradicting someone and carefully leaving open the possibility of multiple interpretations in the words we use.

Your attempt to suggest it's not a contradiction because what Monk said was true at the time is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

But the thing is he plays there because Harris has been awful but then switch him to the right, when he has a natural right winger in Kachunga on the bench

But the thing is Harris is a natural right winger. That’s where he played before we signed him. He’s right footed. His attribute is his pace. His instinct is to take on his full back on the outside. Monk has played Harris out of position at left wing-back. Understandably Harris has struggled. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, darra said:

Not read all of the thread but from what I have read We were short of strikers so Monk asked Reach to play through the middle and Reach agreed. Now we have options upfront he's asked Monk if he can play out wide and Monk said yes. 

So obviously there's a problem between them?

Monk said for THIS SEASON!  

Monk said: "I spoke to Adam and I think it's a case of, this season with the system we're using, where can we make him play where he can be most effective?

"He can move out wide, where he can do that job. But I spoke with him and we both agree that centrally is where he's going to be most effective.

4 hours ago, room0035 said:

But the thing is he plays there because Harris has been awful but then switch him to the right, when he has a natural right winger in Kachunga on the bench.

I just don't get this manager loyalty to Harris, he has been awful for the last 20+ games.

We could have won yesterday had a striker been on the end of Reach and Bannan balls instead of a midfielder, that the annoying thing with Monk. He is too stubborn to give Rhodes a run of games, and he eventually will lose his job because of it, because the others just done have the strikers instinct. 

We have no other strikers, so why not give Rhodes a fair go of 4 or 5 games, Monk has given Harris 26 games for just 1 assist and no goals.

Harris has been one of our better performers over the period you quote 

Weird what people see

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 0114 said:

Few interesting quotes from an interview with Reach yesterday. 

Less than a month ago Monk is quoted as saying “we both agree that centrally is where’s he’s going to be most effective”

Yet Reach today is quoted as saying...

"I asked him for the chance to play wing-back. I wasn't getting a game up front which is understandable because it's not my position and it's not where I want to play”

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/adam-reach-owls-striker-position-19047075

Monk mindset, he's not right. 

I’m guessing it’s already been said but I’m pretty sure Reach has already been tried at lwb under Monk. When he was he just reminded everyone how nesh he is in a challenge. Hopefully he can do a job for us there but one decent game isn’t enough to convince me. 

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm not sticking up for Garry Monk

I'm sticking up for nuance, common sense, decency and balanced views

Seems I'm out on my own but I don't care - I'd do the same no matter who the manager/player was and there was a rabid frothing at the mouth gang mentality where anyone not fiercely attacking them with every single post gets mocked/bullied/accused of being  paid by the club

lol

Apart from Trevor Francis obviously😉

Monk isn't cut out to be a manager, he's has tactically naive and out of his depth has someone like OGS.

Why does Monk persist with 3-5-2, especially at home, when it doesn't suit our current players? Why don't we sign players to effectively play 3-5-2 if that's how he wants to continue to play? Why do we continually set up so negatively at home, when for so long it hasn't brought hardly any wins at all but suits us more away from home?

Monk's tactics and decision making are as inept as DC's running of the club. Things need to change to give us a fighting chance of staying up. Hopefully Monk can sort it out but he's had over a year to sort it out and nothing had changed, even with his own staff. 

3 minutes ago, Miruic said:

I’m guessing it’s already been said but I’m pretty sure Reach has already been tried at lwb under Monk. When he was he just reminded everyone how nesh he is in a challenge. Hopefully he can do a job for us there but one decent game isn’t enough to convince me. 

He played once I think, against Swansea

Lots of people remember a poor second half performance (as everyone turned in) and especially that he switched off for the penalty

What everyone always forgets is that in the first half he actually played well and was arguably our best player in a performance that should have seen us going into HT quite comfortably 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Trevor Francis is ALWAYS the exception to every rule

It's all guns blazing when it comes to Francis and how he ruined our club (closely followed by the mess Carlos left us in)

Hope you appreciate some people will feel this way about Jos and Monk when they look back at their tenures.