“Not where I want to play” - Adam Reach

Monk's been mocked for his reasoning behind playing Reach in a forward central role—and rightly so in my opinion.

Why didn't he just put it purely and simply down to it being necessitated by the shortage of forwards? I think most of us would've fully accepted that reasoning (even if despairing at the continued lack of genuine forward options).

It's obvious now that the supposed conversation in which both Monk and Reach agreed that his qualities were better deployed centrally was completely fictitious. He's really brought this on himself, and made himself look a bit foolish. Not good.

• Like 2

Just now, cowl said:

Monk's been mocked for his reasoning behind playing Reach in a forward central role—and rightly so in my opinion.

Why didn't he just put it purely and simply down to it being necessitated by the shortage of forwards? I think most of us would've fully accepted that reasoning (even if despairing at the continued lack of genuine forward options).

It's obvious now that the supposed conversation in which both Monk and Reach agreed that his qualities were better deployed centrally was completely fictitious. He's really brought this on himself, and made himself look a bit foolish. Not good.

Agreed, posted the exact thing on here at the time

Monk gave Reach a go at wing back at Swansea and he let him down. Cost us the game.

He filled in up front because we had nobody else. Not the first manager to do that with Reach, Carlos did it 3 years ago, as well as playing left back in a 4.

Yesterday Reach got goal side of his man twice in the box to clear unlike he did at Swansea and then made the goal.

Looks like he has been told if he wants to play wingback he has to do the defending. 

Manager and player have adult conversation and some upset because they don’t think the manager doesn’t have those.

If Reach plays wingback and plays like he did yesterday then it’s a win win for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Speaking about his stint as a forward, Reach said: "I think it was forced really because of the circumstances.

"We let a lot of strikers go in pre-season so the manager asked me to fill in and help the squad out in that department.

"It took a while but he's now brought in the players (strikers) that he wants.

"To be honest, I was delighted to go back to wing-back.

"In this formation I think it's my best position. I think I've got a lot of capabilities there.

"That's what I want to do - get wide and get crosses in the box and try to score or set up goals.

"I asked him for the chance to play wing-back. I wasn't getting a game up front which is understandable because it's not my position and it's not where I want to play. 

"I asked for the opportunity to play and it's come and I think I did some good stuff. There's still things I want to improve on but hopefully I've done enough to put a seed of thought in his mind about where he wants to go with that position."

"I'm a wide player and I want to play wide.

"In the formation we play we don't have wingers, so wing-back is the closest I'm going to get to that.

"I've made that aware to him. I've had to be patient and bide my time. Hopefully I've done enough."

True, but I also think a lot of people posting in this thread should read the entire interview to see Reach was simply asked to fill in while the squad was lacking strikers. Now that those positions are getting filled back up, he's moved further back and out wide as we saw. Assuming Monk will also move him back to a position suited to him, e.g. out in the cold for having spoken out to media outlet about it:duntmatter:

• Haha 2

Great stuff.

I'm pleased Reach sees himself as a wide man and he wants to be out there.

I was kinda worried Reach was the catalyst for his move to central areas as anyone with eyes can see where he is best.

Get him settled into LWB.

He needs a lot of training on how to defend but surely Monk can get the basics into him.

Reach can be a brilliant wing back, He has the vital attributes of work rate, engine, crossing ability and a bit of pace too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Monk gave Reach a go at wing back at Swansea and he let him down. Cost us the game.

He filled in up front because we had nobody else. Not the first manager to do that with Reach, Carlos did it 3 years ago, as well as playing left back in a 4.

Yesterday Reach got goal side of his man twice in the box to clear unlike he did at Swansea and then made the goal.

Looks like he has been told if he wants to play wingback he has to do the defending. 

Manager and player have adult conversation and some upset because they don’t think the manager doesn’t have those.

If Reach plays wingback and plays like he did yesterday then it’s a win win for me.

I think your missing the point. 

Monk has given one account of a conversation where both he and Reach agreed he is better centrally. 

Not even a month later and Reach has come out and said he is a wide player and that playing upfront “is not where I want to play”. What he’s saying couldn’t be more opposite to what Monk said.

It contradicts everything Monk said. That’s what’s concerning that we as fans have been told 2 completely different things by player and manager in less than a month. 

8 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Reach messed up on the penalty against Swansea, but I'm not sure he let Monk down any differently from any other player that gives away a penalty, and if giving away a penalty immediately equates to not considering that player again for the position he was playing, then our whole defence is in potential trouble.

Reach otherwise played well against Swansea, especially his crossing—which, after all, is a major reason why you play wing-backs in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Reach and Penney LWB

Odubajo and Harris RWB

Reach has never been a Forward or a number 10.

Monk never does himself many favours with his interviews to be honest. 

I’ve noticed the same 

Last year he was full of praise for the squad and went on record saying how he couldn’t fault any of them. A few bad results over Christmas and all of a sudden players are frozen out, we’ve got a poor mentality and a complete overhaul is needed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 0114 said:

Few interesting quotes from an interview with Reach yesterday. 

Less than a month ago Monk is quoted as saying “we both agree that centrally is where’s he’s going to be most effective”

Yet Reach today is quoted as saying...

"I asked him for the chance to play wing-back. I wasn't getting a game up front which is understandable because it's not my position and it's not where I want to play”

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/adam-reach-owls-striker-position-19047075

Is this to question Monk's quote because Reach wanting to get game time by asking to play in another position doesn't invalidate it?..

Just now, slinger208b said:

Is this to question Monk's quote because Reach wanting to get game time by asking to play in another position doesn't invalidate it?..

It invalidates Monk's assertion that both he and Reach agreed that his qualities would be best in a central position.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 0114 said:

I think your missing the point. 

Monk has given one account of a conversation where both he and Reach agreed he is better centrally. 

Not even a month later and Reach has come out and said he is a wide player and that playing upfront “is not where I want to play”. What he’s saying couldn’t be more opposite to what Monk said.

It contradicts everything Monk said. That’s what’s concerning that we as fans have been told 2 completely different things by player and manager in less than a month. 

You do realise they probably had more than one conversation don’t you. It is allowed .

• Like 2