“Not where I want to play” - Adam Reach

57 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Looks like Reach another bad apple asking to play in his best position and in one game doing more than Harris has done all season.

We won't see him again now. 

Definite bad egg/rotten apple and can be used as the reason for this season not going as planned.

Next season will be fine when the manager has had the chance to flush out all the bad apples.

5 minutes ago, cowl said:

Reach messed up on the penalty against Swansea, but I'm not sure he let Monk down any differently from any other player that gives away a penalty, and if giving away a penalty immediately equates to not considering that player again for the position he was playing, then our whole defence is in potential trouble.

Reach otherwise played well against Swansea, especially his crossing—which, after all, is a major reason why you play wing-backs in the first place.

Reach was poor against Swansea., switched of several times defensively. 

If we are to continue with this system then I want Reach to be our LWB . As we saw several times he brings more quality to the role then anybody else we have.

His situation really does baffle me. Left wing back is literally the position that uses all his best attributes: can use his engine and run up and down all game and is a decent crosser. 

Monk thinking he can play up top just really does worry me. He's never been that type of player and playing him there completely nullifies his main strengths. 

14 minutes ago, Django said:

So Monk says he and Reach had a chat pre season and both agreed striker is his best position. 4 games into the season and Reach comes out and says he doesn’t want to play up front

Very weird 

As per Reach's interview, "We let a lot of strikers go in pre-season so the manager asked me to fill in and help the squad out in that department."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, slinger208b said:

How?..

Because Reach is giving a version of events that contradicts what Monk said.

Ah...you're saying Reach might be lying? That he might actually have said (or just agreed) that all of a sudden, despite having never played for any extended period of time in a central forward role, that this is where he thought he could best play? Okay.

4 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

You do realise they probably had more than one conversation don’t you. It is allowed .

No I believe they’re limited to one 30 second chat a month...

Still not a great look for a manager to say in September he’s agreed with said player he’s most effective in the middle. Then in October said player comes out and says he’s asked to play out wide as he’s a wide player and that playing down the middle is “not where I want to play”. 

1 minute ago, cowl said:

About ONE conversation 

Are you saying there has been no conversation between them since?

Or are we all just going to hold onto that one conversation forever and discount the others, just like people do when only looking at the second half of last season and not  looking at the first half?

lol

Owlstalk Shop

These were Monk's thoughts in September 2019 - wanting to play Reach primarily wide:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/garry-monk-issues-honest-thoughts-on-adam-reach-at-sheffield-wednesday/

These were Monk's thoughts September 2020 in that he and Reach agreed he would be most effective centrally.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/adam-reach-best-position-swfc-18888614

We now have Reach's view one month later that his best position is without doubt playing on the left.

Fantastic cohesion. 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

These were Monk's thoughts in September 2019 - wanting to play Reach primarily wide:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/garry-monk-issues-honest-thoughts-on-adam-reach-at-sheffield-wednesday/

These were Monk's thoughts September 2020 in that he and Reach agreed he would be most effective centrally.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/adam-reach-best-position-swfc-18888614

We now have Reach's view one month later that his best position is without doubt playing on the left.

Fantastic cohesion. 

Can you  do the same kind of breakdown on Brexit?

Or even Coronavirus?

lol

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, cowl said:

Ah...you're saying Reach might be lying? That he might actually have said (or just agreed) that all of a sudden, despite having never played for any extended period of time in a central forward role, that this is where he thought he could best play? Okay.

No.

Eg Reach isn't getting as much game time as he'd like so he asks for time in a different position. Doesn't mean he disagrees.

Also I believe it was a central position, not necessarily forward...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Can you  do the same kind of breakdown on Brexit?

Or even Coronavirus?

lol

I'd say the government and the scientists don't really know what is best in terms of how to combat COVID and are having to react to it.

Similar to Monk not having a clue what is best for us, as in this case with Adam Reach.

Monkmanface

I'd say the government and the scientists don't really know what is best in terms of how to combat COVID and are having to react to it.

Similar to Monk not having a clue what is best for us, as in this case with Adam Reach.

Monkmanface

But people still stick by Boris and Farage to the death  but they've tossed Monk under a bus after just four games where he's lost only ONE GAME

lol

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, 0114 said:

No I believe they’re limited to one 30 second chat a month...

Still not a great look for a manager to say in September he’s agreed with said player he’s most effective in the middle. Then in October said player comes out and says he’s asked to play out wide as he’s a wide player and that playing down the middle is “not where I want to play”. 

Tell you something, the only people who will two hoots about it are the conspiracists on here.

Course he’s a wide player, we agree on that.

But that didn’t stop Carlos playing him up front and full back, nor Jos playing him central midfield, nor Bruce playing him in both centre midfield and the number 10 role.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, slinger208b said:

No.

Eg Reach isn't getting as much game time as he'd like so he asks for time in a different position. Doesn't mean he disagrees.

Also I believe it was a central position, not necessarily forward...

Reach is quoted as saying

I asked him for the chance to play wing-back. I wasn't getting a game up front which is understandable because it's not my position and it's not where I want to play. 

"I asked for the opportunity to play and it's come and I think I did some good stuff. There's still things I want to improve on but hopefully I've done enough to put a seed of thought in his mind about where he wants to go with that position."

"I'm a wide player and I want to play wide.

I'd say he disagrees with Monk's assertion from just last month that they both agreed he would be most effective centrally.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

But people still stick by Boris and Farage to the death  but they've tossed Monk under a bus after just four games where he's lost only ONE GAME

lol

How do you feel about Boris and Farage?

Monk has had more than 1 game.

Reach is quoted as saying

I asked him for the chance to play wing-back. I wasn't getting a game up front which is understandable because it's not my position and it's not where I want to play. 

"I asked for the opportunity to play and it's come and I think I did some good stuff. There's still things I want to improve on but hopefully I've done enough to put a seed of thought in his mind about where he wants to go with that position."

"I'm a wide player and I want to play wide.

I'd say he disagrees with Monk's assertion from just last month that they both agreed he would be most effective centrally.

Where he wants to play isn't necessarily where he is most effective...