“Not where I want to play” - Adam Reach

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I wish  we could hear more about this

We don't really seem to ever hear about it here on Owlstalk

It's very much a dry desert when it comes to views like this

He's a coach that inherited a decent Swansea side and been living off one decent finish to the season there. What's he done since that as merited the jobs he's had and as he stuck out any of his other jobs and shown anything at any of them to suggest he can be an effective long term option?

His record suggests he has good short spells at clubs followed by dramatic collapses, the likes of which we saw last season. The future would look brighter with Monk, if he adapted his tactics, played to the players strengths at his disposal or brought in players to suit how he wants to play, and showed a clear philosophy or direction to get behind. 

However, nothing has changed since last season, especially at home, even despite having his own staff and bringing in some of his own players. I'd love for Monk to keep us up and to take us forward but nothing he's done here or previously during his managerial career suggests he can do that long term. 

Just now, The Night-Owl said:

He's a coach that inherited a decent Swansea side and been living off one decent finish to the season there. What's he done since that as merited the jobs he's had and as he stuck out any of his other jobs and shown anything at any of them to suggest he can be an effective long term option?

His record suggests he has good short spells at clubs followed by dramatic collapses, the likes of which we saw last season. The future would look brighter with Monk, if he adapted his tactics, played to the players strengths at his disposal or brought in players to suit how he wants to play, and showed a clear philosophy or direction to get behind. 

However, nothing has changed since last season, especially at home, even despite having his own staff and bringing in some of his own players. I'd love for Monk to keep us up and to take us forward but nothing he's done here or previously during his managerial career suggests he can do that long term. 

Yeah I was being sarcastic?

lol

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

12 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

He played once I think, against Swansea

Lots of people remember a poor second half performance (as everyone turned in) and especially that he switched off for the penalty

What everyone always forgets is that in the first half he actually played well and was arguably our best player in a performance that should have seen us going into HT quite comfortably 

Was it home or away? I still can’t picture it. 🤦‍♂️

20 minutes ago, Miruic said:

Was it home or away? I still can’t picture it. 🤦‍♂️

Away

We did so well first half, just didn’t score

Second half Reach got caught wrong side and went full Odubajo, Monk hailed him off 1 minute later.

He never played LWB again (until yesterday)

26 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Not sure I quite follow when you say ‘he’s done nothing here or previously... to suggest he can do that long term’

Can you elaborate a bit more?

51 minutes ago, Miruic said:

I’m guessing it’s already been said but I’m pretty sure Reach has already been tried at lwb under Monk. When he was he just reminded everyone how nesh he is in a challenge. Hopefully he can do a job for us there but one decent game isn’t enough to convince me. 

70 minutes he played.

Created two golden chances but we missed both. Da Cruz I recall.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cowl said:

How? There's a whole world of difference between actually contradicting someone and carefully leaving open the possibility of multiple interpretations in the words we use.

Your attempt to suggest it's not a contradiction because what Monk said was true at the time is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

-On one hand its "look at what what was said" and on the other it's "take what's said with a pinch of salt".

-I didn't qualify my point based on this, I offered an example. That reference was to try to keep the context of the topic as people tend to take isolated posts and wander off down a side street.

Please see my earlier comments about my thought on any "contradiction"...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, slinger208b said:

-On one hand its "look at what what was said" and on the other it's "take what's said with a pinch of salt".

-I didn't qualify my point based on this, I offered an example. That reference was to try to keep the context of the topic as people tend to take isolated posts and wander off down a side street.

Please see my earlier comments about my thought on any "contradiction"...

Where? You've posted a lot in this thread. Are you trying to confound the argument, by any chance?