The League Cup - do we really need it?

Every season i fear for the credibility of this tournament and it’s probably been going downhill for the last 10 years.

It’s obvious that premier league sides don’t even care about it anymore, with clubs like Arsenal and Man city playing their reserves or ‘U23’s’ yet still hammering the likes of fleetwood.

For me, football isn’t about silverware or glory anymore, it’s purely to get into the premier league and into the ‘top 6’ and Europe and the financial gains that arise from that. I also think the FA cup has lost its appeal significantly. It’s brilliant for non league clubs that qualify and lower league sides, but other than that do clubs genuinely care? If I’m right I think if you win it it can give you a chance of qualifying for Europe (if you are in the premier league). 

Every new manager that gets appointed to a club like Everton or Newcastle or whatever.. They say our objective is ‘europe’ without any mention of trophies. Maybe it’s just symbolic of the time. 

I think for us at this stage it’s clearly about winning league games and anything else is a bonus. I suppose the early rounds gives us a chance to let the squad gel further too. 

Can anyone see the league cup being taken off the schedule in the next few seasons? On the subject of trophies, the league 1 and 2 teams have their own little cup. Personally I’d scrap it all and just keep the FA cup, at least that’s something with international appeal as well. 

Im expecting several people to disagree given that the League cup was our last ‘major honour’.

• Like 1

What I can't understand are average Premier League clubs who still can't be bothered with it and put reserve teams out, rather than actually have a go and give their fans a realistic chance of getting to a Wembley final or actually winning a trophy for once to break up the monotony of finishing 12th-14th every season. Same with the FA Cup really these days, clubs just can't be arsed. Fair enough you'll probably get Man City in the final but at least have a go.

• Like 8

Pros and cons. 

Good opportunity for players to regain match fitness, especially this time of the season. 

Chance for fringe players to get competitive game time.

Good chance for some clubs to get a win under their belt to try and build momentum etc. 

On the other side it's a chance to get injured and not many care about a cup they have virtually no chance of winning 

One of the only things going for it is that smaller clubs might get lucky and draw a big club get a big gate and earn cash that will help them survive. No crowds has taken that away for now at least 

10 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

We don't need it to many midweek games coming up

We don't need it to many.

Who are the many?

We do have midweek games coming up, I will grant you that.

For me, it allows some of those who would be mainly on the bench to get a game and for others, such as Rhodes to keep up some fitness and hopefully form.

Just now, DJMortimer said:

The traditional top six clubs have won it 16 of the last 20 years, and been runner-up in 11 of them. And they're not taking it seriously?

They only start taking it seriously in the latter stages tbf

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

The traditional top six clubs have won it 16 of the last 20 years, and been runner-up in 11 of them. And they're not taking it seriously?

But doesn't this mask the problem? Bigger clubs might start to take it more seriously in the later rounds if they're still in, then still dominate. Meanwhile, any potential glamour ties in the early rounds turn into 2nd team kick arounds in front of empty stadiums. Fans question why average to lower teams don't try and have a go at a romantic cup run, but here's the answer. It's a money driven mess, par for the course of modern football. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, alanharper said:

What I can't understand are average Premier League clubs who still can't be bothered with it and put reserve teams out, rather than actually have a go and give their fans a realistic chance of getting to a Wembley final or actually winning a trophy for once to break up the monotony of finishing 12th-14th every season. Same with the FA Cup really these days, clubs just can't be arsed. Fair enough you'll probably get Man City in the final but at least have a go.

This ^.  When did Burnley, Newcastle or United last win a trophy (1961, 1955 and 1925, yes, I know).  These teams treat the League Cup with disdain, yet it's the only trophy they can realistically win. If I was chairman of any of those I'd give instructions to go all out to at least get to the final and have an outside chance. There is no one alive who can remember United winning anything major, in fact you've got to be over 70 to remember Newcastle winning a domestic trophy yet they insist they're a big club.

I'd love to see Wednesday win it again, it was one of the greatest days of my life.

• Like 7

All football in this country ( Premier League excepted), has been made irrelevant by the aforementioned PL. Their total disregard for any team, outside of their privileged club is staggering. For the few to have so much, and the many to have so little, is so reminiscent of the two hats running this country. No fizz!ng morals at all. Shame on them.

• Like 5