The League Cup - do we really need it?

Guest Bulgaria
2 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

For me, football isn’t about silverware or glory anymore, it’s purely to get into the premier league and into the ‘top 6’ and Europe and the financial gains that arise from that

I am so the opposite mate.

What benefit would you personally have from SWFC getting financial gain? 

It's all about silverware for me, as I am sure most who experienced our cup win in 91 would agree.

9 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

I am so the opposite mate.

What benefit would you personally have from SWFC getting financial gain? 

It's all about silverware for me, as I am sure most who experienced our cup win in 91 would agree.

Sorry to clarify, im stating what the reality is and I completely disagree with it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

Can anyone see the league cup being taken off the schedule in the next few seasons? On the subject of trophies, the league 1 and 2 teams have their own little cup. Personally I’d scrap it all and just keep the FA cup, at least that’s something with international appeal as well. 

Im expecting several people to disagree given that the League cup was our last ‘major honour’.

....not really any different though is it in terms of your arguement?

Edited by GMOwl72

Win the fa Cup or league Cup 

Or finish 17th in the Premier league 

Club, players - 17th finish, money money money 

Me-Cup win every time 

Makes me cringe when clubs celebrate surviving relegation on the last day like its a massive achievement 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Sticky Micky said:

Win the fa Cup or league Cup 

Or finish 17th in the Premier league 

Club, players - 17th finish, money money money 

Me-Cup win every time 

Makes me cringe when clubs celebrate surviving relegation on the last day like its a massive achievement 

While it's not a cup win, it's still an achievement and massive relief for all involved. I'll start cringing when they start doing open-top bus tours while holding a massive cardboard cutout of the league table. Come to think of it, that sounds like something DC would do.

:Chansiri:

I must admit I don't know who's decision it is but if we are allowed 4 Champions League places from the performance of English League teams then I would give the top 2 in the Premier League a place, the FA Cup winners a place and the League Cup winners the final qualifying place.

If someone wins the FA Cup and finishes top 2 in Prem then 3rd place in prem get the extra spot etc. If winners of League Cup finish top 2 in Premier League then likewise, it filters down the Premier league.

What is the point of running a cup competition when the top half of 92 teams can legitimatly argue and prove if they wanted to that they weren't really trying until they got to a final.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

Every season i fear for the credibility of this tournament and it’s probably been going downhill for the last 10 years.

It’s obvious that premier league sides don’t even care about it anymore, with clubs like Arsenal and Man city playing their reserves or ‘U23’s’ yet still hammering the likes of fleetwood.

For me, football isn’t about silverware or glory anymore, it’s purely to get into the premier league and into the ‘top 6’ and Europe and the financial gains that arise from that. I also think the FA cup has lost its appeal significantly. It’s brilliant for non league clubs that qualify and lower league sides, but other than that do clubs genuinely care? If I’m right I think if you win it it can give you a chance of qualifying for Europe (if you are in the premier league). 

Every new manager that gets appointed to a club like Everton or Newcastle or whatever.. They say our objective is ‘europe’ without any mention of trophies. Maybe it’s just symbolic of the time. 

I think for us at this stage it’s clearly about winning league games and anything else is a bonus. I suppose the early rounds gives us a chance to let the squad gel further too. 

Can anyone see the league cup being taken off the schedule in the next few seasons? On the subject of trophies, the league 1 and 2 teams have their own little cup. Personally I’d scrap it all and just keep the FA cup, at least that’s something with international appeal as well. 

Im expecting several people to disagree given that the League cup was our last ‘major honour’.

As long as theirs an incentive for the club's to receive a bonus for getting through rounds it'll remain, Carabao is sponsoring it now , if it had no sponsorship then it might disappear but I do agree with you it has no appeal for the teams in the premier and championship.

4 hours ago, canadianowl said:

Maybe make the League Cup just EFL clubs then so Premier clubs can take the FA Cup more serious and whatever European tournaments they are in. Also get rid of that League 1/2 mickey mouse cup so it is just EFL cup for tiers 2-4. 

Exactly my thoughts.

2 cups.
The FA Cup - As many teams in England as possible can enter, a true winner takes all cup with Champions League place reward
The League cup - Championship, L1, L2 - Europa league for the winner, gives all these clubs something bigger to fight for outside the day to day survival of their league.

14 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

Every season i fear for the credibility of this tournament and it’s probably been going downhill for the last 10 years.

It’s obvious that premier league sides don’t even care about it anymore, with clubs like Arsenal and Man city playing their reserves or ‘U23’s’ yet still hammering the likes of fleetwood.

For me, football isn’t about silverware or glory anymore, it’s purely to get into the premier league and into the ‘top 6’ and Europe and the financial gains that arise from that. I also think the FA cup has lost its appeal significantly. It’s brilliant for non league clubs that qualify and lower league sides, but other than that do clubs genuinely care? If I’m right I think if you win it it can give you a chance of qualifying for Europe (if you are in the premier league). 

Every new manager that gets appointed to a club like Everton or Newcastle or whatever.. They say our objective is ‘europe’ without any mention of trophies. Maybe it’s just symbolic of the time. 

I think for us at this stage it’s clearly about winning league games and anything else is a bonus. I suppose the early rounds gives us a chance to let the squad gel further too. 

Hello

Yes we do

Its crucial for giving youngsters and second string players game time and experience 

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Hello

Yes we do

Its crucial for giving youngsters and second string players game time and experience 

Only if it’s a credible competition though mate. This season, I’ve even noticed some League One sides fielding weakened sides. If this trait continues, the competition will become no more than a cup competition for reserve sides