Official Premier League 2020/21 Thread

TheEnchanter

I can't see how anybody ever thought VAR would be a good thing

I mean we had so much access to replays and footage for post-match analysis and multiple times the pundits couldn't agree - so how was it ever gonna be worked out in almost real time?

I realise i'm losing touch with the game and the way it is going is increasingly not for me

That's fine because i'm not the target audience for the new age

I mean i'm just a person who adored football all my life, spent every waking minute thinking/playing/talking/analysing etc

The authorities wanna it to be a WWE style event - the human elemnent is steadily being flushed out

I mean - who would have ever thought that you have to now wait to even celebrate a goal while some people in a room multiple miles away looks to see if they can chalk it off...

Also i loved the fact that the pitch that i played on in my days at amateur level could have hosted the pinnacle of the game - the world cup final

Now we even have cup ties that have different conditions for first ties and replays

It's sickening to me tbh

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, scram said:

I mean we had so much access to replays and footage for post-match analysis and multiple times the pundits couldn't agree - so how was it ever gonna be worked out in almost real time?

I realise i'm losing touch with the game and the way it is going is increasingly not for me

I mean i'm just a person who adored football all my life, spent every waking minute thinking/playing/talking/analysing etc

The authorities wanna it to be a WWE style event - the human elemnent is steadily being flushed out

I mean - who would have ever thought that you have to now wait to even celebrate a goal while some people in a room multiple miles away looks to see if they can chalk it off...

Also i loved the fact that the pitch that i played on in my days at amateur level could have hosted the pinnacle of the game - the world cup final

Now we even have cup ties that have different conditions for first ties and replays

It's sickening to me tbh

It hasn’t made rugby union a worse game... but I thought straight away when they called it VAR rather than TMO like the rugby codes do that football was going to do it their way and not for the better

Rugby is a much easier game to analyse than football though

Much more natural stoppages and always a lull after scoring a try before the conversion etc

Goal line tech has definitely improved the game - but the rest needs binning and go back to the imperfection it was before 

rather than this sh*tshow

• Like 4

9 hours ago, scram said:

It's sickening to me tbh

I'm sick of decisions going against us. I pay a lot of money each season for season tickets to watch an inept referee or assistant screw us over repeatedly. I wanted the correct decisions to be made rather than 'enjoying' the controversy and having to listen to people tell me it all evens out over a season when I don't think it does. That's why I wanted var. I've seen it work in cricket, rugby and all the major American sports. I wanted a version of it in football so I didn't have to pay to watch another Neil swarbrick type show again. I believe there is a happy medium between having none at all and the current mess. 

12 hours ago, scram said:

Much more natural stoppages and always a lull after scoring a try before the conversion etc

Goal line tech has definitely improved the game - but the rest needs binning and go back to the imperfection it was before 

Said it before that a review system is the sensible way forward here.

Each team gets 1 review per game (or per half) for decisions other than whether the ball has crossed the goal line and if you’ve used up your review trying to get a perfectly fine goal chalked off and the ref makes an absolute howler in the 98th minute, tough shít. 

The cat’s out of the bag now with VAR so may as well find a way to make it interesting which doesn’t completely ruin the game as a spectacle

The only way VAR can work effectively imo is if the ENTIRE game is reviewed in real time and any mistakes by the on field ref - even seemingly innocuous fouls on the half way line - are corrected

Goals don't happen in a vacuum - many many incidents generally happen before a goal is scored and if anywhere in that chain an infringement occured then it's only right that the goal is chalked off

I'd prefer to do away with it entirely and keep only goal line tech

It's not a surprise it is a clusterfuck

Most of the issues we are seeing were predicted before its implementation

• Like 3

Agreed mate, I’d rather just do away with it altogether too. Aside from the nonsense decisions, I don’t like how it’s created a two-tier structure where the top sides have VAR and lower leagues don’t. It’s not a level playing field, especially when it comes to cup games where it may be used depending on who’s the home side. 

I do feel though that it’s unlikely the authorities will sack it off - unfortunately - so I think limiting its use and maybe creating a bit of drama via a review system (like in cricket) is the only sensible option IMO

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, scram said:

The only way VAR can work effectively imo is if the ENTIRE game is reviewed in real time and any mistakes by the on field ref - even seemingly innocuous fouls on the half way line - are corrected

Goals don't happen in a vacuum - many many incidents generally happen before a goal is scored and if anywhere in that chain an infringement occured then it's only right that the goal is chalked off

I'd prefer to do away with it entirely and keep only goal line tech

It's not a surprise it is a clusterfuck

Most of the issues we are seeing were predicted before its implementation

Completely agree. Keep goal line tech and bin VAR

I honestly don’t care about the right decision anymore, a few millimetres here and there, F off 

Would love to go back to real time. Decisions will go for and against us, but the authenticity will be back 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

Can the linesman please flag for offside when it happens, not 5 minutes later after another 17 passes? Ta. 

It's ridiculous how long they delay. There will come a point where they delay, a player will be seriously injured during the attack then the flag will go up. Whereas if it had gone up earlier the attack would have stopped and the player wouldn't have been injured. 

I see why they delay with var in play but not in our league, makes no sense whatsoever. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, scram said:

If you could hear the ref justify their actions it would go a long way to helping

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

Is it the worst set of relegated sides the Prem has seen?

Apparently, this is the first time that all three teams have been relegated with three games still to go...so yeah, pretty crap. 

58 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Bye Fulham.

Dyche keeps Burnley up for another season.

Not always pretty, but he does some job there.

TBF Dyche does an immense job with the hand he's been dealt

He's not only kept Burnley in the PL but they have also inested in fantastic training facilites and upgraded their academy from cat 3 to cat 1

He has literally grown that club to the best position they could ever be really

• Like 2