Official Premier League 2020/21 Thread

TheEnchanter

I do not get the line thing with VAR, think Ellis nails it really.

If it looks offside, then it probably is, if it dosn't, then it's not.

This faffing with lines is a bit daft. 

Edited by Maddogbob

Genuine question here. When is the ball classed as being played? Is it when it hits the players foot etc or when it leaves it? Cos in the time it takes to hit his foot, compress slightly then reshape and leave his boot takes time. With the speed that attackers are travelling those fractions of a second can easily be the difference between on and offside. How precise are they with that part of the pass? Id like to know how they determine it because it seems that all the focus is on the receiving player. 

2 hours ago, NorfolkNChance said:

There isn't a league in Europe getting VAR as bad as us. It's an absolute dogs dinner and then some.

That's all down to the standard of refereeing. We have a couple of good ones, but most are very poor.

10 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

Genuine question here. When is the ball classed as being played? Is it when it hits the players foot etc or when it leaves it? Cos in the time it takes to hit his foot, compress slightly then reshape and leave his boot takes time. With the speed that attackers are travelling those fractions of a second can easily be the difference between on and offside. How precise are they with that part of the pass? Id like to know how they determine it because it seems that all the focus is on the receiving player. 

This argument has been going on since the introduction of VAR.

It is impossible to determine the exact, split second the pass was made.

During this time of the pass being played, attacker will be moving forwards, defender backwards meaning it's not even a true reflection as to whether he was offside when the pass was made.

It should be, freezeframe as they do now, is he clearly offside?

Yes? - Offside, goal ruled out.

No? - Goal given

I'm sure this would get rid of a lot of negativity with VAR and also make their job much easier. 

12 hours ago, scram said:

Seem to have totally lost the benefit of the doubt going to the attacking team thing...

Further to that, it feels like every time there's a goal, somebody somewhere is actively sat looking for an excuse to chalk it off. 

• Like 2

I've mentioned this before on OT, but one of the major problems with the way they're adjudging offside is that the overlays they use require the footage to be of a far higher frame rate than they're actually using. The coloured lines are narrow, solid and accurate down to a tiny distance (i.e. about an inch or so), but the frame rate of the footage can't slow the movement of the players and ball down to the same degree of accuracy: rolling back-and-forth between two adjacent frames often shows a blurred movement of several inches, or even more if the player is sprinting. The only way to provide the degree of accuracy that matches the overlays is by using extremely high frame rate cameras, like the ones they use in wildlife documentaries to create the ultra-slow motion and ultra-sharp definition footage of animals.

In my opinion they should use a system similar to the ball-tracking system they have in cricket. It allows for a margin of error to be made where they go with the original on-field call by the umpire, rather than overturn a decision based on a couple of inches of movement. Only when it's beyond that margin for error is the on-field call overturned because by then it's fair to call it a clear error.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

Anyone else see the sending off in the West Ham-Chelsea game?

WHU player sent off because his follow-through after kicking the ball away caught a Chelsea player's leg.

Bloody ridiculous

It’s also frustrating as players look for any tiny advantage they can get. Rightly or wrongly. 

Would expect to see a few more attacking players to get ‘caught’ in those sorts of scenarios now. 

There was a referee on Talksport attempting to justify it. They’re a cult! Apparently he was endangering an opponent. He literally kicked the ball and, caught Chilwell as his leg returned to a natural position. Are we banning everyone in a football pitch? The little shove you give the opposition when near the advertisement hoardings is technically endangering an opponent! 

The sooner people wake up and realise the issue isn’t VAR the better. VAR is a necessary evil with these idiots in charge. The issue is the complete lack of understanding from the referees. 

The offsides are even worse but, apparently the clubs want this sort of offside system in place? There’s literally a section written into the rules which gives the ‘benefit of the doubt’ to the attacker. The same guy on Talksport was arguing that offsides are black and white and, there’s no grey area. There’s a huge grey area with regards to determining when the ball left the players foot, there’s also the subjective nature of where the lines are drawn, some are that tight you could put the lines the opposite way around and, just as easily allow the goals to be given. 

It's not even a challenge. He's moving forward and he kicks the ball so he has to carry on his trajectory. The ref must have thought he'd deliberately stamped down, which I'm not sure he did. Then a few minutes later there's a similar incident that wasn't even looked at. 

VAR isn't the problem, inconsistencies are. 

On 13/04/2021 at 08:37, Skyline said:

This argument has been going on since the introduction of VAR.

It is impossible to determine the exact, split second the pass was made.

During this time of the pass being played, attacker will be moving forwards, defender backwards meaning it's not even a true reflection as to whether he was offside when the pass was made.

It should be, freezeframe as they do now, is he clearly offside?

Yes? - Offside, goal ruled out.

No? - Goal given

I'm sure this would get rid of a lot of negativity with VAR and also make their job much easier. 

And how do you define that? 

All you would be doing is changing the focal point of the offside argument to whatever definition of 'clearly offside' you provide. 

18 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

What a crap game this has been. 

Shocker. Man Utd clearly with an eye on the Europa League semi-final, they aren't going to catch Man City and they aren't going to be caught in 2nd place either, no real importance to them other than not losing to dirtyleeds. 

8 hours ago, scram said:

Although the refs are shocking - to the point of embarrassment

VAR most definitely is a problem

One of the main reasons i'm losing touch with the game

I know what you mean but I'm afraid var is here to stay for the time being, the genie is out of the bottle now. The fact that even with var we still have controversial incidents shows that in hindsight it wasn't the magic bullet many, including myself, thought it would be. Until we get to experience a season of it I still maintain we'd be better off with it, but I'm blinkered and only see the bad side of our decisions. 

I believe there is a place in football for technology and getting decisions right, but var in its current guise isn't where its at. Goal line tech is fine. Clear and obvious errors would be fine in principle but who decides that? A team of people looking at every goal scored and trying to find a reason to disallow it goes against everything good about football. It could be that things are checked if a specific incident is asked to be looked at? 

Personally I'd like to see 2 refs, 1 in each half, and 4 assistant refs who patrol the sidelines mainly but also can go behind the goal for corners etc. More eyes on the game basically. This would mean more officials that need to be up to standard, so heres where I make being an official a proper career. Teams of officials are created and they work together and explain their decisions, a la NFL. I know that's a pipe dream at the moment but with the amount of money in the game it's possible.