Best football chant of all time?

Remember at our lowest ebb and facing extinction the opposites fans singing “What’s that coming over the hill is it a tax man” it hurt but was also sort of funny 

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

I remember Grimsby away, very early 80s ,we sung it non stop throughout 1st half, the good all days

2 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

One of my favourites from 80s would be “yellows, yellows,....” sung for 10 minutes or so.

Then there’s “always look on the bright side of life”. A song that can truly only be sung by fans of a crap team. 4-0 at half time atWatford, it cheered me up.

And a classic that will be difficult to repeat: “one Bryan Robson, there’s only one Bryan Robson” sung by three sides of Hillsborough.

Guest Jack the Hat
On 21/08/2020 at 00:57, panda800 said:

I bet you where... 🤣 Did you go to the league game 4 months previous  ?  we lost that one missed the first  15 minutes and our first goal. Because of a massive traffic jam on the m1

I went to them both . We were winning then Nilsson got injured and lost 4-2

50 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

I went to them both . We were winning then Nilsson got injured and lost 4-2

I was at both games too. The 4-2 was the first time I’d seen us lose. If I remember correctly we lost three of the back four to injury during the game, so it wasn’t really a surprise Millwall turned it around. It was the day I realised being a Wednesday fan wasn’t going to be all plain sailing.

I used to love..'All we are saying, is give us a goal'...in the seventies....that and...'Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield Wednesday, we'll support you ever more....we'll support you ever more'....& we did/do.

Also liked...'Sheffield Wednesday's Back in Town Again'....when the Inter City Owl emptied out on to stations all over the country.

• Like 2

That Hibs song is pure class, the 'Glorious Hearts' one is decent too. Been to one Edinburgh derby at Tynecastle, and it was brilliant. Electric atmosphere, would recommend it to anyone! My brother's 2nd team is Hibs, mine is Hearts. A day drinking round Edinburgh, then 2-0 to Hearts, happy days...

2 hours ago, qantas said:

I used to love..'All we are saying, is give us a goal'...in the seventies....that and...'Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield Wednesday, we'll support you ever more....we'll support you ever more'....& we did/do.

Also liked...'Sheffield Wednesday's Back in Town Again'....when the Inter City Owl emptied out on to stations all over the country.

It did get the hairs on the back of your neck raised.   

• Like 1

On 22/08/2020 at 16:54, PeteG_1984 said:

Away at Leeds when McDermott has just become their manager. The series of songs related to him looking like an egg, being Humpty Dumpty and falling off a wall. 

I also love the irony of fans from places like Burnley away at places like Bournemouth singing “Bournemouth’s a poo hole, I wanna go home”

This, he took it in good spirits too and laughed it off.

On 20/08/2020 at 11:12, Inspector Lestrade said:

Doesn't ring a bell the The Limit and BBC bit, they didn't come into existence until the late 80s early 90s.

Always thought it started... 

My old man said be a Wednesday fan and don't Dilly Dally on the way...   

The Limit night club opened in 1978 just to set the record straight !

On 21/08/2020 at 22:26, johnnyfoxhill owl said:

.I can remember practically every away match from 79 onwards, matey.only one match I can't vaguely remember was Fulham away in 1984.Friday night match, we drew 1-1 I think Cunningham sfacing 7.30 kick off then, me and too of my mates got the 7.20 inter city 125 train in morning,got kicked off at chesterfield by guard for supping special x cider at that time in morning,lol got next train still in london for 9.30.we got some digs for 4 of us .one of other lads had to work till 2 at Apollo steels,he caught later train down  we started drinking at 11 soon as pubs opened,we did a pub crawl through London till we met kanga my other mate, we had a pint in every pub,and we could all drink,in the match I was lent on barrier facing crowd most of match we stayed in London till sat night.1 of mates had been to every ground in the football league except white hart lane,so him and kanga went to watch spurs play Liverpool, finished 2-2 I think,me and john went round Soho and met them in cockney pride pub after match,we the boozed till we went for the midnight paper train back home,1 of many good weekends,lol

That's literally the worse chant ever mate. Too long and not very catchy  🙂

• Haha 1

On 20/08/2020 at 09:26, OWL1969 said:

Although I wanted Rangers to win, the video of Hibs fans singing this after the Cup Final is immense. Real spine tingler. So I agree.

The funniest I remember being sung to us was from Bristol City fans many years ago

I only read it in the Green un, as I like over 2.5k didn't get there due to the snow (our coach made it all the way to Prince of Wales Road and back in about 3 hours).

To the few hundred Wednesday fans who did manage to get there, as the snow continued to fall they chanted 

"One bed and Breakfast, there's only one bed and Breakfast, one bed and Breakfast" always amused me.

Our own funny ones that stick in my mind 

Are "she's got chlamydia" at Birmingham

And although a long time (and you had to be there) 

"We know, where you live, in them flats, in them flats" 

At the old Den.

She’s got chlamydia lol That was funny, poor girl!