Inverting the Pyramid

7 hours ago, fingyfop said:

Some of the top teams do actually end up in a 2-3-5 in attack, fullbacks push up that far for Liverpool, and for City 2 of the midfielders push up that far often and fullbacks go in to midfield

This is what makes me laugh about people advocating having big hard men in midfield...City's midfield are all great footballers not someone who spends time kicking lumps out of players...Bernado Silva, Foden, David Silva all up there in winning the ball back stats. Bannan closes down and gets the ball back. lets have some real footballers in the team. 

• Like 1

It’s simple

Keeper

Right back.                                                        Left back

Right half.                            Centre half.                             Left half

right wing.       Inside right.         Centre forward.      Inside left.             Left wing

Another name for it is reinventing the wheel.

5 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

This is what makes me laugh about people advocating having big hard men in midfield...City's midfield are all great footballers not someone who spends time kicking lumps out of players...Bernado Silva, Foden, David Silva all up there in winning the ball back stats. Bannan closes down and gets the ball back. lets have some real footballers in the team. 

They get turned over without Fernandinho though

30 minutes ago, Kew Owl said:

I wonder how, all those thousands of years ago, they would have got on had they tried to build the Pyramids at Giza, near Cairo, the other way up ?

They’d flood on top surely? 

47 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

They don’t look the same without Fernandinho though. He loves a yellow card does that fella. I don’t think you need a hard man in midfield but you want someone disciplined to sit and do all the donkey work in order for players like Silva, De Bruyne and Foden to flourish.

Best player I’ve seen do that at Championship level in recent seasons is Adam Clayton at Boro. He screens his midfield, covers if a full back bombs forward and does all the dirty stuff. Often goes unnoticed from the outside looking in. I don’t think we have anyone disciplined enough for that role. Too often there are gaping holes in our CM.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rogers said:

Unfortunately we don’t have the players Liverpool and City have; easy to have players pushing up if you have the majority of possession and applying the forward pressure. 

We ship goals in for fun, so 2 at the back would be a joke. 

I wasn't suggesting it for us!

10 hours ago, heppers said:

I have been saying this since Carlos’ final season. We need to invert the pyramid.

All the top sides do it yet we persist with old fashioned methods and get caught out. It’s never been more obvious than the 2nd half of this season yet Monk is oblivious.

That speaks volumes.

What you sphinxing  about?

• Haha 1