Inverting the Pyramid

43 minutes ago, Beany71 said:

Is tat a 2-3-5 set up. Attack Attack?

Some of the top teams do actually end up in a 2-3-5 in attack, fullbacks push up that far for Liverpool, and for City 2 of the midfielders push up that far often and fullbacks go in to midfield

43 minutes ago, heppers said:

center-forward who are more focused on distributing the ball to his wingers and teammates than on scoring himself - the intimation, perhaps, of the false nine. The pyramid has remained the global default since the change in the number of subs. It needs inverting.

It seems obvious without a 20 goal a year striker.

The only way to have 6+ players that score more than 8.

having one player that scores more than eight would be good start.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, fingyfop said:

Some of the top teams do actually end up in a 2-3-5 in attack, fullbacks push up that far for Liverpool, and for City 2 of the midfielders push up that far often and fullbacks go in to midfield

Unfortunately we don’t have the players Liverpool and City have; easy to have players pushing up if you have the majority of possession and applying the forward pressure. 

We ship goals in for fun, so 2 at the back would be a joke. 

I prefer the W M formation popular in the 1930's called the W M as it resembles ......er.........well a W and an M in the formation.

Defenders forming a W.............and the attacking players an M

Goalkeeper

2                                    3                                    4

5                                               6

7                           8

^

|

|

9                             10                         11 

A sort of 3  -  2  -  2  -  3

And by making the centre forward the No: 10........you can also incorporate the " false No: 9 " tactic ( also popular in the 30S) as well where the 

centre forward can track back to fill the gap in midfield ( indicated by the crappy arrow above the No: 10. )

Of course we could just revert to the 2 - 3 - 5 formation ( inverted pyramid ) as well.

( were'nt we playing that in the 60's  ? ) 

Inverted Pyramid

MW.png                         Pyramid.png

Edited by Captain Scarlett

7 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

Yep, try getting one of those babies erect in foreplay.

Haha. It’s going back quite a few years but my recollection was that when one got perky the other one did too but in reverse....!! 

In the end and despite many positives like looks, personality etc I ditched her. I’m shallow like that...... Sid.png.ce4a58b18036e98d9e040ed8890b4572.png.c0de232009804db80dc6b1a6bb78b25f.png

Edited by Morepork

8 hours ago, heppers said:

I have been saying this since Carlos’ final season. We need to invert the pyramid.

All the top sides do it yet we persist with old fashioned methods and get caught out. It’s never been more obvious than the 2nd half of this season yet Monk is oblivious.

That speaks volumes.

A terrific book by Jonathan Wilson.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morepork said:

Haha. It’s going back quite a few years but my recollection was that when one got perky the other one did too but in reverse....!! 

In the end and despite many positives like looks, personality etc I ditched her. I’m shallow like that...... Sid.png.ce4a58b18036e98d9e040ed8890b4572.png.c0de232009804db80dc6b1a6bb78b25f.png

Sounds like they were on some sort of pulley system. I’ve ended relationships for less, I’m not proud.

• Haha 1