Bannan’s importance

Just now, Holmowl said:

Our best and most important player by a distance.

agreed but i have a gripe that everything we do comes thru him .....its like the others  look for him all the time to  the detriment of trying to create summat themselves .....whether thats there own doing or they are told to by every manager we've had i know not .....

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Bannan - 3783 mins - 2 goals - 8 assists

Hutchinson - 1759 mins - 1 goal - 1 assist

Lee - 1757 mins - 0 goals - 5 assists

Luongo - 1632 mins - 3 goals - 0 assists

Pelupessy - 1290 mins - 0 goals - 0 assists

Hunt - 282 mins - 0 goals - 0 assists

Reach has played roughly 400 minutes as CM with no goals and no assists.

Combined:-

Bannan 3783 mins - provided 10 goals or assists.

The rest 7100 mins - provided 10 goals or assists

Bannan comes in for lots of criticism, but we don’t know how lucky we are to have him. Fabulous fitness record, looks after himself, gives 100%, gets more MoMs than any other player, almost never drops below a 7/10, always wants the ball.

Our best and most important player by a distance.

Thats part of the problem for me. One man team.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, torryowl said:

agreed but i have a gripe that everything we do comes thru him .....its like the others  look for him all the time to  the detriment of trying to create summat themselves .....whether thats there own doing or they are told to by every manager we've had i know not .....

Because he always wants the ball. In the first couple of seasons he was surrounded by Forestieri, Hooper, Wallace, Hutch, a fully fit Lee who also all wanted to get on the ball and make things happen. 

• Like 1

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Watch Bannan in the next match

He makes himself available for every player for every ball - hence why things go through him

he does and thats the crux for me they only look for him and cop out of trying to create summat  themselves  ......

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Because he always wants the ball. In the first couple of seasons he was surrounded by Forestieri, Hooper, Wallace, Hutch, a fully fit Lee who also all wanted to get on the ball and make things happen. 

Right, which kind of explains why we arent very good

• Like 2

He’s important to us, no doubt about that but going forward is he part of the solution?

If we moved him on, I would have mixed feelings but as the stats show, we have become overly reliant on him and if he doesn’t create anything then the chances are the team doesn’t? It’s hardly rocket science for an opposition manager to say to his players, we stop Bannan, we stop Wednesday?

If Hunt can blossom then he might take the pressure off him but it’s a big ask for a lad who’s just got into the team?

If playing wing-backs is the way forward for us then we need better more natural wing-backs to give us more going forward hence taking the pressure off Bannan?

• Like 1

He's the best player in the squad by a mile, and has been for some time. That's part of the problem though, as the rest are barely on the same page as him, and when he get's frustrated by this, which t results in him rollocking everyone around him. IMO this adds to the on-field lethargy, rather than improving it.

Great player, but not a great motivator. Of course that isn't his job, but he seems to think it is.

Edited by Sheff74
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

How come he has the incredibly successful statistics that he has then?

lol

You’re on form today? He doesn’t always get stopped granted as some opposition are better at spoiling tactics than others but you knew that already?

lol

12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Watch Bannan in the next match

He makes himself available for every player for every ball - hence why things go through him

I think we need another player to do this, maybe Hunt?

And push Bannan further up the field!