Bannan’s importance

1 hour ago, domSWFC said:

If Bannan was half as good as commentators make him out to be we'd be in the playoffs. 

Main problem with Bannan is, you stop him playing and you stop Wednesday playing. Funnelling everything through him makes us predictable, and easy to play against.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I'd say get rid of 3 of those 5. Lees would also be one I would consider he is certainly not ideal captain material and his form has been on the slide since Loovens left but in the last couple of games he has shown what he is capable of very assured performances and tow clean sheets in a row which we haven't looked like getting without him. Maybe he can play in a back 3 consistently if he has someone vocal alongside him and he isn't asked to be a ball player like Jos wanted from him in a similar role.  

Lees is on more money than borner and Iorfa put together, we would struggle to get rid of him unless he took a pay cut.

5 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Lees is on more money than borner and Iorfa put together, we would struggle to get rid of him unless he took a pay cut.

I agree, said the same earlier in that I doubt many would be offering a fee for him and as you say would be unlikely to match his wages.

32 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Are you his agent 

How would you know what money they are on ?

Widely reported that lees 5 year deal was around 20-25k a week. Doesn’t take a genius to realise that a wolves reserve team player bought for 250k and free transfer from the German second division will be on substantially less.

On 15/07/2020 at 11:47, jonnyowl said:

Still our best player and most important midfielder!

And some wan't to get rid!

I’d sell him. Everything has to go through him. He screams any player out who doesn’t do as he demands. His set pieces are garbage. First man or over hit. Loves a back pass. Good player but not as good as he is raved about on here.Not seen many defense splitting passes from him.  Sell and use the money. If not he’ll be off on a free. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stanningtonowl said:

I’d sell him. Everything has to go through him. He screams any player out who doesn’t do as he demands. His set pieces are garbage. First man or over hit. Loves a back pass. Good player but not as good as he is raved about on here.Not seen many defense splitting passes from him.  Sell and use the money. If not he’ll be off on a free. 

That's your opinion.

Personally I think your mad!

19 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Well I couldn’t disagree more with you.

First, how can it be selective to count every minute, every goal and every assist of every CM, in a thread comparing our CMs?

I did a similar post a few weeks ago comparing the wide players: Reach, Harris and Murphy.

I can understand you and others suggesting we cash in. However, our recent record in the market is very poor. If we get £4m for Bannan do you think we will find a CM elsewhere for £4m who stays as fit as BB and plus as good as him?

This is why the club is in the shybo. Like all businesses we have to trade at the right time and make the most of opportunities. If we don't move Bannan on he will go for free next season. The fee would be used to invest in the squads rebuild. Money will be tight across all leagues but this summer it should be a buyers market with clubs looking to offload players. We cannot afford to pay £25k a week contracts to players and lose 30million a year these players need to be sold and the squad rebuilt with fresh and younger talent.

• Like 2

I’d say we’ve wasted the last few years. Having a player of his quality, should have encouraged us to build a team around him. Surround him with players who are comfortable on the ball, get the front players making runs, playing through the lines, or even dropping deep, you know, movement. Instead, the emphasis more and more, has been to launch it towards Fletcher’s head. 

Edited by gurujuan

I like Bannan but just think Wednesday aren’t a good fit for him.

Probably the best ball player we have had since Shez but unfortunately for Barry he hasn’t got a Palmer alongside, a Waddle waiting for the ball on the wing, Harkes or King bombing forward from full back, a Hirst running defenders ragged.

Much seems on his shoulders and sometimes he simply gets suffocated with the ball. 

Edited by GMOwl72

1 minute ago, GMOwl72 said:

I like Bannan but just think Wednesday aren’t a good fit for him.

Probably the best ball player we have had since Shez but unfortunately for Barry he hasnt‘t got a Palmer alongside, a Waddle waiting for the ball on the wing, Harkes or King bombing forward from full back, a Hirst running defenders ragged.

Much seems on his shoulders and sometimes he simply gets suffocated with the ball. 

Stats are ‘good’ but for me it’s more about outcomes.

He was a good enough fit under Carlos, but yes, I know what you mean. That’s what I was alluding to by saying we’d wasted his last years. 

19 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

This is why the club is in the shybo. Like all businesses we have to trade at the right time and make the most of opportunities. If we don't move Bannan on he will go for free next season. The fee would be used to invest in the squads rebuild. Money will be tight across all leagues but this summer it should be a buyers market with clubs looking to offload players. We cannot afford to pay £25k a week contracts to players and lose 30million a year these players need to be sold and the squad rebuilt with fresh and younger talent.

Your theory makes sense....if you trust that the £4m we get for Bannan would be used well on fresh, younger CMs. 

Here’s the last CMs we have bought or loaned:-

Luongo

Joey

Onomah

Butterfield

Abdy

(I might have missed some?)

Does it fill you with any hope that the gaping hole left after Bannan would be filled with fresh, young quality?

Edited by Holmowl

13 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Your theory makes sense....if you trust that the £4m we get for Bannan would be used well on fresh, younger CMs. 

Here’s the last CMs we have bought or loaned:-

Luongo

Joey

Onomah

Butterfield

Abdy

(I might have missed some?)

Does it fill you with any hope that the gaping hole left after Bannan would be filled with fresh, young quality?

The gaping hole of 8 assists and 2 goals. The way we play through Bannan has been worked out by every team in the championship. It doesn't work. This is not BBs fault but the pace of our build up and the fact he drops too deep have made us easy to defend against. He has been an excellent servant but it hasn't worked and its time to move on. We need box to box legs and some steel in the centre as we are a like a box of chocolates in the middle.(soft centres). Not worth hanging on for another year as he will walk for nothing and the deal we would offer would be way less than he is on now.(re-Fletcher and Fox). Have to agree pre-Bruce recruitment has been awful and Monks loan signings do not inspire me with much confidence.

1 minute ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

The gaping hole of 8 assists and 2 goals. The way we play through Bannan has been worked out by every team in the championship. It doesn't work. This is not BBs fault but the pace of our build up and the fact he drops too deep have made us easy to defend against. He has been an excellent servant but it hasn't worked and its time to move on. We need box to box legs and some steel in the centre as we are a like a box of chocolates in the middle.(soft centres). Not worth hanging on for another year as he will walk for nothing and the deal we would offer would be way less than he is on now.(re-Fletcher and Fox). Have to agree pre-Bruce recruitment has been awful and Monks loan signings do not inspire me with much confidence.

In 5 seasons we haven’t found a CM that could replace him as first-pick.

You might not feel he is good enough, but he’s the best we have by light-years.

I’d let Joey, Lee and Luongo go before Bannan. Hell’s teeth, we even resort to playing winger Reach in CM. If Monk stays and doesn’t rate Reach wide, let him go and spend the £4-5m on a strong partner for Bannan.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

In 5 seasons we haven’t found a CM that could replace him as first-pick.

You might not feel he is good enough, but he’s the best we have by light-years.

I’d let Joey, Lee and Luongo go before Bannan. Hell’s teeth, we even resort to playing winger Reach in CM. If Monk stays and doesn’t rate Reach wide, let him go and spend the £4-5m on a strong partner for Bannan.

Lee's contracts up so he's going, Joey should have gone and Luongo been average or injured.None would command a notable fee if any. Reach if played on the left wing still shows ability but like Bannan is out of contract in 11 months so I would sell him as well. I think the squad needs a total rebuild in midfield and upfront. I dont see us paying anywhere near 4 million for a player, be lucky if thats our total spend.

Guest Timothy Fields
On 15/07/2020 at 11:27, Holmowl said:

Bannan - 3783 mins - 2 goals - 8 assists

Hutchinson - 1759 mins - 1 goal - 1 assist

Lee - 1757 mins - 0 goals - 5 assists

Luongo - 1632 mins - 3 goals - 0 assists

Pelupessy - 1290 mins - 0 goals - 0 assists

Hunt - 282 mins - 0 goals - 0 assists

Reach has played roughly 400 minutes as CM with no goals and no assists.

Combined:-

Bannan 3783 mins - provided 10 goals or assists.

The rest 7100 mins - provided 10 goals or assists

Bannan comes in for lots of criticism, but we don’t know how lucky we are to have him. Fabulous fitness record, looks after himself, gives 100%, gets more MoMs than any other player, almost never drops below a 7/10, always wants the ball.

Our best and most important player by a distance.

Like him a lot, but he needs somebody to help him out

Without a doubt our best player and with the possible exception of Iorfa our most saleable asset. It has been a pleasure to watch Bannan throughout his stay, he gives his all in every game, has talent,  is nearly always available and will be one of our only players desired by others. We have little hope of keeping him should the EFL decide to relegate us, and nor should we, he is far too good for that division, and we will need to gather money from those we can sell. I assume Reach and Iorfa would have to go too, as well as the loaners. If we retain our status we need to show him faith and give him a good long term contract, there will be no point keeping him running don his contract in his last year. I would keep him, make him permanent captain and reassure him that we will build round him with players capable of challenging.