Bannan’s importance

Just now, Jim said:

He doesn’t always get stopped 

But you just said it wasn't rocket science to stop him to stop us playing?

So basically Bannan's stats show he's an incredible player at this level and a really important player for us who succeeds no matter what, and you state that it's not rocket science to just man mark him out of the game to stop us playing, yet his stats show us that this literally doesn't happen because he's THAT good

Amazing

lol

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

But you just said it wasn't rocket science to stop him to stop us playing?

So basically Bannan's stats show he's an incredible player at this level and a really important player for us who succeeds no matter what, and you state that it's not rocket science to just man mark him out of the game to stop us playing, yet his stats show us that this literally doesn't happen because he's THAT good

Amazing

lol

if everything we do comes thru bannan then looking at scoring record at home the opposites do seem to have found a way to nullify his effectiveness ......yet away from home they cant seem to cope with him and he creates a great many openings .......a conundrum that needs solving  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Bannan - 3783 mins - 2 goals - 8 assists

Hutchinson - 1759 mins - 1 goal - 1 assist

Lee - 1757 mins - 0 goals - 5 assists

Luongo - 1632 mins - 3 goals - 0 assists

Pelupessy - 1290 mins - 0 goals - 0 assists

Hunt - 282 mins - 0 goals - 0 assists

Reach has played roughly 400 minutes as CM with no goals and no assists.

Combined:-

Bannan 3783 mins - provided 10 goals or assists.

The rest 7100 mins - provided 10 goals or assists

Bannan comes in for lots of criticism, but we don’t know how lucky we are to have him. Fabulous fitness record, looks after himself, gives 100%, gets more MoMs than any other player, almost never drops below a 7/10, always wants the ball.

Our best and most important player by a distance.

Agree, but he always drops too deep. Plus he should be consistently scoring 8-10 goals a season. 

Like many others, he's underperforming really.

• Like 1

Charlie Nickolas wasn't very complimentary of him last night - bits SS kept showing was BB's shots going wide/over. I suppose you could say he's at least in the positions and shooting.

As great a player BB is, we're are hostage to him - both players and fans. Since May 2016 we should have brought that supporting midfielder in to the team to essentially do the Palmer to Sheridan role - but no we brought in Abdi, Jones, Pelupessy - all woefully inadequate so we stuck in groundhog day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emilianenko said:

To say he takes 75% of our set pieces in attacking areas ,those stats are not that impressive at all.

Unless we score with the first header or shot from his corner or free-kick he isn’t credited with the assist.

Apart from the penalty he scored v Bristol C I think the 9 goals and assists are a very decent return.

No doubt he’s a good player, probably our best player, and I’ve been impressed by him since the re-start.  Having said that, we’ve allowed him to become pretty indispensable, which can’t be a good thing.  We can play well without him, one of the best performances under Jos (until last 10 minutes) was 2-2 game against West Brom when Onomah and Pelupessy played in middle of park.  

We need to work towards a position where Bannan is one of our key assets, but not our only asset.  Regardless of the stats, fact remains that he can be nullified and we need more variety in our play.  With more depth in the squad, there might even be occasions where Bannan should be used from the bench against certain opposition.

Find the right two players to have next to him and he's one of the best CMs in the division. 

Like many have said, he puts his head on the chopping block every game by constantly showing for the ball. 

I'd love us to sign Colback to support him, along with Luongo and another athletic, tall, strong midfielder, you'd never get the ball off of us! 

3 hours ago, torryowl said:

if everything we do comes thru bannan then looking at scoring record at home the opposites do seem to have found a way to nullify his effectiveness ......yet away from home they cant seem to cope with him and he creates a great many openings .......a conundrum that needs solving  

This is a really good point. As good as Bannans stats are, and I love the little man, at home he (or the way he is being deployed) is clearly is part of the problem - he alone has played in all the games we haven't scored in. 

He cant play killer balls from his own half. 

3 hours ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Agree, but he always drops too deep. Plus he should be consistently scoring 8-10 goals a season

Like many others, he's underperforming really.

Would like some strikers at the club to do this^^^

4 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Bannan - 3783 mins - 2 goals - 8 assists

Hutchinson - 1759 mins - 1 goal - 1 assist

Lee - 1757 mins - 0 goals - 5 assists

Luongo - 1632 mins - 3 goals - 0 assists

Pelupessy - 1290 mins - 0 goals - 0 assists

Hunt - 282 mins - 0 goals - 0 assists

Reach has played roughly 400 minutes as CM with no goals and no assists.

Combined:-

Bannan 3783 mins - provided 10 goals or assists.

The rest 7100 mins - provided 10 goals or assists

Bannan comes in for lots of criticism, but we don’t know how lucky we are to have him. Fabulous fitness record, looks after himself, gives 100%, gets more MoMs than any other player, almost never drops below a 7/10, always wants the ball.

Our best and most important player by a distance.

Totally agree, I don't understand some of the negative comments he gets, our best overall player in my opinion.

The fans who have a go at him should realise, if he didn't make the odd error, he would be playing in the Prem not for a lower half Championship side, I bet every club in the division would want him in their squad.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Unless we score with the first header or shot from his corner or free-kick he isn’t credited with the assist.

Apart from the penalty he scored v Bristol C I think the 9 goals and assists are a very decent return.

Not to bad aslong as you avoid looking at Pereira from West Brom who has a total of 28.

• Like 1

Everything goes through Bannan? Explains why we create sod all! Spends 75 minutes on the shoulder of our defenders. He needs to be further up the pitch. I don’t think he has the stature to play CM personally. With being 31 next and his best days behind him, I’d happily ship him out this summer. In the big games over the years gone by Bannan rarely turned up. 

• Like 8