Bannan’s importance

3 hours ago, Indoor Owl said:

I mean, Cristiano is 1 for 43 in set pieces at Juventus currently.

... I would suggest it's not a cut and dried fact that a Championship level set piece taker is going to knocking them in non-stop.

I’d be happy for him to beat the first man at a corner at the minute. 

9 hours ago, Indoor Owl said:

Honestly, I don't begrudge him too much for it, because if he scored more consistently he'd be in the Prem or Germany, not playing in Sheffield and carrying the team year after year.

Very true but on the back of those goals he might have taken us up, as I do believe that he was signed to play in the Premier for us.

16 hours ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Time to sell or next year he's off for nothing. Wants to be challenging by his own admission,  very much doubt we will be next year as its a time for rebuilding. Reach and Bannan both out of contract next June so time to move them on is now.

I thought Bannan signed a new deal this season? 

If they both only have 12 months we need to extend or sell. Definitely.

We can't let more players leave for nowt.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Bannan - 3783 mins - 2 goals - 8 assists

Hutchinson - 1759 mins - 1 goal - 1 assist

Lee - 1757 mins - 0 goals - 5 assists

Luongo - 1632 mins - 3 goals - 0 assists

Pelupessy - 1290 mins - 0 goals - 0 assists

Hunt - 282 mins - 0 goals - 0 assists

Reach has played roughly 400 minutes as CM with no goals and no assists.

Combined:-

Bannan 3783 mins - provided 10 goals or assists.

The rest 7100 mins - provided 10 goals or assists

Bannan comes in for lots of criticism, but we don’t know how lucky we are to have him. Fabulous fitness record, looks after himself, gives 100%, gets more MoMs than any other player, almost never drops below a 7/10, always wants the ball.

Our best and most important player by a distance.

And out of contract in just 11 months time.

20 minutes ago, trev said:

I thought Bannan signed a new deal this season? 

If they both only have 12 months we need to extend or sell. Definitely.

We can't let more players leave for nowt.

Bannan, Lees, Reach, Westwood, Rhodes, Harris, JVA, Penney, Odabajo, Pelupessy, Urhoghide all have less than 12 months left of their deals only.

Dawson, Wildsmith, Luongo and Iorfa, Borner and Palmer will be the only contracted players past June 2021

All the good kids we have lads have only 11 months left of their deals so Shaw, Hunt, Hughes etc - let hope none of them do a Hirst or we lose them for next to nothing.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sheffield-wednesday/vertragsende/verein/1035/vertragsendeJahr/2021

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

Bannan, Lees, Reach, Westwood, Rhodes, Harris, JVA, Penney, Odabajo, Pelupessy, Urhoghide all have less than 12 months left of their deals only.

Dawson, Wildsmith, Luongo and Iorfa, Borner and Palmer will be the only contracted players past June 2021

All the good kids we have lads have only 11 months left of their deals so Shaw, Hunt, Hughes etc - let hope none of them do a Hirst or we lose them for next to nothing.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sheffield-wednesday/vertragsende/verein/1035/vertragsendeJahr/2021

Need to get rid of the first 5 asap preferably for a fee ....do that and we can get back to being the right side of FFP and hopefully start again giving out sensible contracts .

• Love 1

If he was that good then we would be talking about how he has weighed in with an abundance of assists and goals. 8 assists and two goals is pathetic for someone who has more possession and takes the most set pieces. It highlights how poor we are as a team. Play him in a three, play him further forward, he's better on the left. Posters can't even decide where and who he should play with. He's poor off the ball, limited in the tackle, struggles to track back and limited in the air. If he was that important and good he would be dominating games week in week out. The experiment has had 5 seasons and not been good enough. Time for a fresh approach.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

I like Bannan, I just wish he'd stop taking corners. 

The main thing I see from the info is that Keiran Lee sets up more than Bannan and has nothing to do set pieces. 

Also, comparing Bannan with Hutch and Joey is comparing apples with oranges. Totally different players.  

Edited by archieswfc
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, archieswfc said:

I like Bannan, I just wish he'd stop taking corners. 

The main thing I see from the info is that Keiran Lee sets up more than Bannan and has nothing to do set pieces. 

Also, comparing Bannan with Hutch and Joey is comparing apples with oranges. Totally different players.  

I like Bannan to, I also wish he would stop taking corners.  Rarely beats the man on the first post.

Unlike Da Cruz who whips them in like a good un. 

On 15/07/2020 at 20:48, Holmowl said:

Selective?

Every minute played by every player in a CM role?

It's completely selective and you know this.

You could have also given a more accurate reflection of his contribution to the club if you included stats of all midfielders, that includes Harris and Murphy and even Da Cruz.

Also some players have a more defensive role eg Pelupessy, Luongo (ish). You've failed to mention this.

For those saying Bannan is our best player. Iofa is a better player. Lee, is still better. The new boys Harris, Murphy, Da Cuz, Windass Hunt can over time show they are better.

And don't mistake this for a Bannan bashing post because it isn't. It's calling out the propaganda nonsense you posted.

I actually think Bannan plays better when he is playing in a wider role. 

However, he's 31 and as our main player (V captain), he's incapable of pushing this team up the table, so it's time to cash in or offer him a 2 year deal on significantly reduced terms now. 

• Like 1

This 3-5-2 formation will suit Bannan as long as we bring in someone who can dominate the midfield physically to play in the middle. Bannan suits playing on the left of a 3. Luongo and Hunt to fight it out to play on the right 

Quality player. But can’t do it on his own.

He will be crucial in guiding our younger players through but will he want to stay? It seems a bit of a sacrifice for him as in fairness he could go and play at the top end of this league and try and prove himself one last time in the Premier League 

On 16/07/2020 at 21:37, Ronnie Starling said:

If he was that good then we would be talking about how he has weighed in with an abundance of assists and goals. 8 assists and two goals is pathetic for someone who has more possession and takes the most set pieces. It highlights how poor we are as a team. Play him in a three, play him further forward, he's better on the left. Posters can't even decide where and who he should play with. He's poor off the ball, limited in the tackle, struggles to track back and limited in the air. If he was that important and good he would be dominating games week in week out. The experiment has had 5 seasons and not been good enough. Time for a fresh approach.

He’s not going to dominate games but is a key part of a team set up. He’s not going to be someone’s Gerrard to take a game by the neck but without him we don’t have anyone with the same confidence/comfort to keep getting the ball and maintaining possession. He was ideal for the football CC played but we probably bypass him more now for the key chances.

Bannan has been a top top signing. But he’s 31 this year, with 12 months left on his deal. Club needs to start making big decisions.

Either we cash in this summer, definitely last chance to make some money on him. 

We offer him a new deal, but do we want to be paying top dollar to someone who will be 33/34 by the time the next deal ends? He’s not going to get better or fitter. 

One things for certain is we can’t keep letting players contracts run down and leaving for nothing. Decisions need to be made. 

Would seriously consider cashing in. Good player but his stats over the years aren’t worth building a team around, and to be honest he isn’t worth every passage of play going through him. It’s proven not to work at this club as we’ve never achieved anything off the back of it. 

Getting older as well. Absolutely the perfect time to say thanks for the service but time for something new 

38 minutes ago, Manchester_Owl said:

It's completely selective and you know this.

You could have also given a more accurate reflection of his contribution to the club if you included stats of all midfielders, that includes Harris and Murphy and even Da Cruz.

Also some players have a more defensive role eg Pelupessy, Luongo (ish). You've failed to mention this.

For those saying Bannan is our best player. Iofa is a better player. Lee, is still better. The new boys Harris, Murphy, Da Cuz, Windass Hunt can over time show they are better.

And don't mistake this for a Bannan bashing post because it isn't. It's calling out the propaganda nonsense you posted.

I actually think Bannan plays better when he is playing in a wider role. 

However, he's 31 and as our main player (V captain), he's incapable of pushing this team up the table, so it's time to cash in or offer him a 2 year deal on significantly reduced terms now. 

Well I couldn’t disagree more with you.

First, how can it be selective to count every minute, every goal and every assist of every CM, in a thread comparing our CMs?

I did a similar post a few weeks ago comparing the wide players: Reach, Harris and Murphy.

I can understand you and others suggesting we cash in. However, our recent record in the market is very poor. If we get £4m for Bannan do you think we will find a CM elsewhere for £4m who stays as fit as BB and plus as good as him?

On 16/07/2020 at 12:13, torryowl said:

Need to get rid of the first 5 asap preferably for a fee ....do that and we can get back to being the right side of FFP and hopefully start again giving out sensible contracts .

I'd say get rid of 3 of those 5. Lees would also be one I would consider he is certainly not ideal captain material and his form has been on the slide since Loovens left but in the last couple of games he has shown what he is capable of very assured performances and tow clean sheets in a row which we haven't looked like getting without him. Maybe he can play in a back 3 consistently if he has someone vocal alongside him and he isn't asked to be a ball player like Jos wanted from him in a similar role.  

2 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

He’s not going to dominate games but is a key part of a team set up. He’s not going to be someone’s Gerrard to take a game by the neck but without him we don’t have anyone with the same confidence/comfort to keep getting the ball and maintaining possession. He was ideal for the football CC played but we probably bypass him more now for the key chances.

He is the player with more possession than any other player which by the law of averages means he should be having the most assists and certainly more goals. You think we bypass him for more key passes which says it all that he isn't performing.