Bannan’s importance

On 19/07/2020 at 10:32, DobbinTheDonkey said:

He could even be a branch, with lots of little branches off him that when in full bloom look amazing. But he isn't the trunk. The extra weight on his shoulders would snap him but as a branch there are not many finer at this level.

He would fit in at Forest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Remember that spine.

Hooper

Hutch/Lopez     

Loovens   Lees

Westwood

Then you had Wallace, Bannan, FF and Lee, all allowed to shine, play the game they were good at. Knowing that if it didn't come off they had some protection.

If we can get a spine back, then sign Bannan for a couple of more years. Get some legs and steel around him but mostly get all of the responsibility off him. Then he will help the tree grow.

However Bannan might take a look and think eff it. I can get one more well paid contract and would rather do it at a club with more ambition and better players.

As good as Bannan has been for us we do become too one dimensional with everything going through him.  If we're going to have a complete clear out we may as well include Bannan as he'd probably command a decent fee and help with the rebuild.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Philb125 said:

Just read Graeme Sounes comments on Jorginho and Kavocic at Chelsea and whilst I usually disagree with him, it kind of rings true for Bannan: 

‘I wouldn't have had to worry about them making runs in behind me because everything they do is in front of the opposition midfield.

'Please don't tell me they play holding or defensive roles. Anyone who aspires to play in the middle of the park should have the full facet of skills - tackling, passing, shooting and finishing - and be looking to use them at all times. 

'The footballer who is happy to embed himself in a deeper role is withdrawing into his comfort zone and betraying himself as a midfielder

That is Bannan in a nutshell! Flattering on the eye at times, but retreated into his comfort zone playing in front of opposition midfield which leaves the team horribly exposed all too often. If you playy him, you need to abandon wingers and play blocking wide players like Wallace, add extra steel to midfield, Have a workhorse to do running of two men, except 5-10 less goals as your attacking midfielder doesn’t score. 

Hope he wasn’t talking about the semi-final yesterday.

The pair of them were brilliant, absolutely ran the midfield.

So what did he think of Makele.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, billyblack said:

player we miss the most in my view is hooper. He was the one who linked the play and made us decent. 

Fantastic footballer, he really was. But by his choice to and play on the moon for cash you do see his true character.

Abdi was an unreal footballer, swear to God the guy was one step ahead but he couldn't be arsed. 

Bannan, to his credit is talented and gives his all, doesn't always have a great game but he is a fantastic player and I'm so glad we signed him.

• Like 1

On 15/07/2020 at 11:47, Jim said:

If we moved him on, I would have mixed feelings but as the stats show, we have become overly reliant on him

The idea that we should get rid of our best player by far.. because he's too good.. i just don't have the words.

16 hours ago, Philb125 said:

That is Bannan in a nutshell! Flattering on the eye at times, but retreated into his comfort zone playing in front of opposition midfield 

I don't agree with this at all.. he drops deeper at the moment because he has to.

How many times in recent week have we seen Bannan deeper than some of the back 3 while defending!
He's not there because he's happy there and 'loves  tackle'.
He's there because no other soul in the midfield is putting that effort in to be there.

Bannan himself would much rather be playing at the head of a midfield 3, with 3 runners ahead of him.
The idea that he's a coward who hides in our half is ridiculous. You just need to see him on the ball to see that.
He's there because Monk's not got a clue and Bannan cares enough to make the effort.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, billyblack said:

player we miss the most in my view is hooper. He was the one who linked the play and made us decent. 

We also missed him all too often when he was a Wednesday player

Just now, billyblack said:

i know he was injured a lot, point is he could play football and we dont have other players like him in the squad

Absolutely. He was our best player. Very intelligent footballer.