Bannan’s importance

Bannan isn't the main meal. He is the delicious side that accentuates the main meal.

For the last two seasons we have tried to pass the delicious side off as a main meal but the people in the restaurant have worked out it is just a side and refuse to have it. Now the chef doesn't know what to do as he doesn't have a main meal.

Don't get me wrong it is one of the best sides out of all the restaurants, just like Wallace was when he was here. In fact combined those two sides made the main meal superb.

He could even be a branch, with lots of little branches off him that when in full bloom look amazing. But he isn't the trunk. The extra weight on his shoulders would snap him but as a branch there are not many finer at this level.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Judas Atkinson said:

Without a doubt our best player and with the possible exception of Iorfa our most saleable asset. It has been a pleasure to watch Bannan throughout his stay, he gives his all in every game, has talent,  is nearly always available and will be one of our only players desired by others. We have little hope of keeping him should the EFL decide to relegate us, and nor should we, he is far too good for that division, and we will need to gather money from those we can sell. I assume Reach and Iorfa would have to go too, as well as the loaners. If we retain our status we need to show him faith and give him a good long term contract, there will be no point keeping him running don his contract in his last year. I would keep him, make him permanent captain and reassure him that we will build round him with players capable of challenging. 

That would be my take. If we stay up, give him a new deal, and build a side around him, surround him with players who are comfortable on the ball, and most importantly, get some movement ahead of him 

If we go down, he should be sold, and in any event, is too good a player for League One.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

Bannan isn't the main meal. He is the delicious side that accentuates the main meal.

For the last two seasons we have tried to pass the delicious side off as a main meal but the people in the restaurant have worked out it is just a side and refuse to have it. Now the chef doesn't know what to do as he doesn't have a main meal.

Don't get me wrong it is one of the best sides out of all the restaurants, just like Wallace was when he was here. In fact combined those two sides made the main meal superb.

He could even be a branch, with lots of little branches off him that when in full bloom look amazing. But he isn't the trunk. The extra weight on his shoulders would snap him but as a branch there are not many finer at this level.

weird analogies, but I agree with the sentiments

• Like 1

He is the pirate ship to the Sheffield Wednesday fun park. We all got giddy and got tingles every time we experienced it. He got us off our seats with our hands in the air and a good time was had by all. We kept asking for more running back to the back of the queue to experience it all over again. But now as we have got older we look around at the bigger theme parks with their white knuckle rides and our thrill factor on the Pirate ship has diminished. We want some of the thrills that the other theme parks have got that our tired Pirate Ship can't deliver any more but we can't spend the money to build any in our theme park due to planning restrictions imposed by the EFL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

He is the pirate ship to the Sheffield Wednesday fun park. We all got giddy and got tingles every time we experienced it. He got us off our seats with our hands in the air and a good time was had by all. We kept asking for more running back to the back of the queue to experience it all over again. But now as we have got older we look around at the bigger theme parks with their white knuckle rides and our thrill factor on the Pirate ship has diminished. We want some of the thrills that the other theme parks have got that our tired Pirate Ship can't deliver any more but we can't spend the money to build any in our theme park due to planning restrictions imposed by the EFL.

So if Bannan is the pirate ship. Does that make Pelupessy the teacups.

lol

Edited by pazowl55

Has anyone ever read of a genuine bid coming in for him?, I would say that if professional scouts have watched him the report will say not good enough.

Why would a decent team buy a midfielder that does not track back and therefore allows the opposition midfield to get at our back line, everyone knows he does not win headers and rarely tackles. So we give a free reign to "punt" but as everyone who watched the Fulham game could see he is not that clever at it. His short passing around the opposition box is also not that great.

His first thought is turn backwards into space, at times he could go forward into space to receive but is less comfortable the further forward he is.

Contrast Bannan with Lee whose first thought is to turn forward and move the opposition about and you have to say if Lee was injury free he is the better footballer.

I'm still hoping for someone to bid the 15million for this top end championship player!, I would be delighted if anyone parted with 1.5 so we can change our style and get more energy into the team.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, should know better said:

Has anyone ever read of a genuine bid coming in for him?, I would say that if professional scouts have watched him the report will say not good enough.

Why would a decent team buy a midfielder that does not track back and therefore allows the opposition midfield to get at our back line, everyone knows he does not win headers and rarely tackles. So we give a free reign to "punt" but as everyone who watched the Fulham game could see he is not that clever at it. His short passing around the opposition box is also not that great.

His first thought is turn backwards into space, at times he could go forward into space to receive but is less comfortable the further forward he is.

Contrast Bannan with Lee whose first thought is to turn forward and move the opposition about and you have to say if Lee was injury free he is the better footballer.

I'm still hoping for someone to bid the 15million for this top end championship player!, I would be delighted if anyone parted with 1.5 so we can change our style and get more energy into the team.

I think it’s harsh to judge how effective Bannan currently is. If all we want to do, is hoof it forward, than Bannan is an absolute luxury. When he has movement ahead of him, like he had with Forestieri and Hooper, then he’s a completely different proposition The thing is, most teams at our level, or above, have that movement

Just read Graeme Sounes comments on Jorginho and Kavocic at Chelsea and whilst I usually disagree with him, it kind of rings true for Bannan: 

‘I wouldn't have had to worry about them making runs in behind me because everything they do is in front of the opposition midfield.

'Please don't tell me they play holding or defensive roles. Anyone who aspires to play in the middle of the park should have the full facet of skills - tackling, passing, shooting and finishing - and be looking to use them at all times. 

'The footballer who is happy to embed himself in a deeper role is withdrawing into his comfort zone and betraying himself as a midfielder

That is Bannan in a nutshell! Flattering on the eye at times, but retreated into his comfort zone playing in front of opposition midfield which leaves the team horribly exposed all too often. If you playy him, you need to abandon wingers and play blocking wide players like Wallace, add extra steel to midfield, Have a workhorse to do running of two men, except 5-10 less goals as your attacking midfielder doesn’t score. 

Edited by Philb125
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

His majestic punts that float to an unoccupied place is a sight to behold, not only for the opposition but for us as well,

his dazzling runs and turn arounds in the space of a **** eye and ends up where he starts is a wonder to behold, with

quiff bouncing jollily along he has the artwork of a bygone era, let us follow our beloved leader to new and better things,

yes let us build our Jerusalem on our green and pleasant turf, and hail the majestic midget.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

Just read Graeme Sounes comments on Jorginho and Kavocic at Chelsea and whilst I usually disagree with him, it kind of rings true for Bannan: 

‘I wouldn't have had to worry about them making runs in behind me because everything they do is in front of the opposition midfield.

'Please don't tell me they play holding or defensive roles. Anyone who aspires to play in the middle of the park should have the full facet of skills - tackling, passing, shooting and finishing - and be looking to use them at all times. 

'The footballer who is happy to embed himself in a deeper role is withdrawing into his comfort zone and betraying himself as a midfielder

That is Bannan in a nutshell! Flattering on the eye at times, but retreated into his comfort zone playing in front of opposition midfield which leaves the team horribly exposed all too often. If you playy him, you need to abandon wingers and play blocking wide players like Wallace, add extra steel to midfield, Have a workhorse to do running of two men, except 5-10 less goals as your attacking midfielder doesn’t score. 

Nailed it 

Souness has always spoken sense 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 3