Bannan’s importance

2 minutes ago, Dylan93 said:

Everything goes through Bannan? Explains why we create sod all! Spends 75 minutes on the shoulder of our defenders. He needs to be further up the pitch. I don’t think he has the stature to play CM personally. With being 31 next and his best days behind him, I’d happily ship him out this summer. In the big games over the years gone by Bannan rarely turned up. 

lol

that’s quite the feat...

Its almost like you’ve not read a single statistic or fact about Bannans contribution to the team 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

lol

that’s quite the feat...

Its almost like you’ve not read a single statistic or fact about Bannans contribution to the team 

Simple really, I just look at the league table and how we play. I’d like to think my main set piece taker would be top of the stats

• Like 1

I do find the selective stats funny. We are not allowed to use Reach's assists from not being in the middle of the park but are allowed to use Bannan's set pieces, possibly 6 maybe only 5  and I'm not sure on where we stand on penalties on this site any more.

Kieran Lee has 2 more assists in 22 matches less.

My selective stats are from open play. In 42 matches it's probably 3 assist 1 goal and he is our best player which tells you the state we are in.

However he offers a lot more using stats and slightly skewed stats can make him appear a bit poor and he can offer a lot more.

He is a little cog in a machine that has half of it's cogs missing

His stock is high an he has a year left, it's either extend or sell.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

I do find the selective stats funny. We are not allowed to use Reach's assists from not being in the middle of the park but are allowed to use Bannan's set pieces, possibly 6 maybe only 5  and I'm not sure on where we stand on penalties on this site any more.

Kieran Lee has 2 more assists in 22 matches less.

My selective stats are from open play. In 42 matches it's probably 3 assist 1 goal and he is our best player which tells you the state we are in.

However he offers a lot more using stats and slightly skewed stats can make him appear a bit poor and he can offer a lot more.

He is a little cog in a machine that has half of it's cogs missing

His stock is high an he has a year left, it's either extend or sell.

Selective?

Every minute played by every player in a CM role?

You lumped all the others in together

Lee makes more assists in open play than Bannan in fewer 20 matches, unfortunately he has fitness issues.

Lee - 1757 mins - 0 goals - 5 assists in open play

The rest  9146 mins - provided 9 goals or assists in open play.

If Lee can add goals and get his fitness back like before,(although he has played more than Luongo) he is far more efficient than the rest. Up until this last break I thought he was on his way back, big big decision to be made there.

Anyhow stats are misleading because if it came to assist an assist, Bannan would probably be way out in front in open play. Althoug he goals scoring one is crap and that's a fact

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Bannan is a clever player and a very good player at this level. I like that we've got Luongo and I see Luongo as being one of our most important players, along with Bannan and Iorfa, and potentially Windass and Murphy too if we keep them both. To get the most out of Bannan he needs box to box players, like Hutchinson and Lee in the past and Luongo, plus we need pace and players that can make intelligent runs.

Hopefully we'll keep Windass and Murphy, bring in some more athletic, pacy and physical players, and see more of Luongo next season. Over time we may become less reliant on Bannan but most teams who we've played in recent years, if they could choose any player from our team to have in theirs, would generally pick Bannan it seems. 

Guest Mr Tom
1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

Reach is 2nd highest provider of assists

What was he doing last night, giving them some?

13 hours ago, torryowl said:

agreed but i have a gripe that everything we do comes thru him .....its like the others  look for him all the time to  the detriment of trying to create summat themselves .....whether thats there own doing or they are told to by every manager we've had i know not .....

A complete lack of creativity, outside of Bannan, has always been an issue.  Boyd and Wallace had occasional flashes from the wings, but that's about it.  Lee has always had great energy, but isn't really a creative player.

I kept hoping that the likes of Abdi, Emanuelson, and even Van Aken (though not a mid, the highlights of him had shown a real ability to move the ball around and deep, even from centreback); but it never did materialize.

Right now it all seems to flow through Bannan because it does, and when it doesn't nothing gets accomplished out there.

11 hours ago, Emilianenko said:

To say he takes 75% of our set pieces in attacking areas ,those stats are not that impressive at all.

I mean, Cristiano is 1 for 43 in set pieces at Juventus currently.

... I would suggest it's not a cut and dried fact that a Championship level set piece taker is going to knocking them in non-stop.

8 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Go on to other fans forums and Bannan is always mentioned in despatches.

Class player, just think what he would be worth scoring a few more goals a season. 

Honestly, I don't begrudge him too much for it, because if he scored more consistently he'd be in the Prem or Germany, not playing in Sheffield and carrying the team year after year.

• Like 1