The Road to Redemption - Garry Monk Edition

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

He has to be held accountable but we also have to understand the circumstances as to why we only won 2 in 15. Some say it's his fault some say it's the players or bad eggs at the club. 

I personally think it's a mixture of the lot.  And the fact Monk has gone 352 tells us that he knew he had to do something tactically different as there were things he was doing wrong.

Absolutely, it's rarely as black and white as being ones persons fault or absolving one person completely of any responsibility but then giving him all the praise when things do go well. 

3 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

100% agree. Do you think it'll catch on?

More chance of platting fog.

When narcissists  have made their minds up about something they'd rather the team lost/a player played badly to prove them correct.

• Like 4

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

More chance of platting fog.

When narcissists  have made their minds up about something they'd rather the team lost/a player played badly to prove them correct.

YEP

It's clear that's the case with a couple of posters in this thread

Owlstalk Shop

40 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Aye yeah.

That causes shitehouse tactics, decisions and substitutions

IT causes complete undermining of the coaching staff, but lets just ignore it and blame onto the manager. As I have said previously time to judge when this fiasco is over.

Edited by Big Jack
  • Love 1

Guest LondonOwl313
6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You seem all confused mate

Remind me how we've done the last two games without them after publically clearing them out?

Explain the correlation to me because maybe I’m being thick but if someone is sat at home then how are they having a negative impact on results

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

YEP

It's clear that's the case with a couple of posters in this thread

Make no bones about it, there's folks out there will be wounded that Wildsmith hasn't thrown one into his own net today because they've already decided he isn't good enough. 

I hope all the boys keeps sticking it to them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WelshOwl74 said:

2 good wins

However forest and Bristol were both absolutely dog5h1t 

Shows the standard of this league 

We didn't beat Forest!

The standard of the league this season has not been as strong in my opinion but what is encouraging as well as the points is that we are playing much better.

In January to March we were 2nd best in all our league games except for Charlton at home and were particularly poor against teams in the lower reaches of the division and in very poor form - Barnsley, Luton, Wigan, Reading. Hull haven't won a game since they beat us.

Since the return we have played a system that has got much more out of the players, we have 4 points and probably deserved 6. As much as I have been critical of Monk I have done so based on what I have seen. What I have seen in the last 2 games has been much more positive so fair play, keep proving me wrong.

What I can't fathom is that if you're a Garry Monk hater and have a massive beef with him and want to convince everyone that he's rubbish and has been to blame for everything you'd not come on and do it after an away win, two games unbeaten, 4 points from a possible 6, all players playing out of their skin to show commitment to the club, and a more dynamic exciting attacking way of playing would you?

lol

The sheer logic of that defies belief and smacks of having an unchangeable agenda no matter what evidence is presented to them.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, MarvelOwls said:

I think I've not favoured Monk because he has tossed some of my old favourites to one side.

But then I thought about it.

It's an aging squad and it's time to rebuild.

Forestieri, Westwood, Fletcher, Hutchinson all big wages, all 30+. Lots of players still on the Cardiff come down - Lee, Bannan and we have little youth coming though. 

I remember reading an article about Alex Ferguson and the key to his success was to have the right mix. He  broke it down into 3 groups. Young hungry under 21 players, players 22-28 starting to peak and then players aged 29+.

If lucky then he would have players start at the bottom and work their way through the 3 groups ( Rooney, Giggs etc ) 

If we want to be successful then we have to change the current model. I wonder if Chansiri will back Monk as the man to do this.

Today was a great performance and was good to see that we have a fight in us. Well done Wednesday.

Well said mate - very sensible and decent post

Owlstalk Shop

20 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Fox was steady when he came on but it wasn’t Carlos Alberto esque was it (it was Roberto Carlos by the way). In ideal circumstances we would keep Fox on but we aren’t so what’s the point moaning over it. He’s replaceable.

I’d rather give Hunt a go instead of Pelupessy. Can do what Joey does but also offers something on the ball. 

Both our full backs at the time including Hunt were continually criticised as 'not being good enough' & 'if we were serious' should be replaced, so discussing Hunt is going backwards. (Not that he was ever as bad as made out).

Again, re Fox. Everyone is "replaceable", but you have to find them, pay for them, hope they fit in which takes a lot of time up, taking away the time & opportunity from possibly strengthening other more pressing area.

I do however thank you for your reasoned, non confrontational reply.

Roberto Carlos 👍

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

100% 

It was really refreshing

Then I read this thread and see people STILL trying to slag us off

Whoooooooa, just hang on there two guns, people having different opinions that don't reflect yours is still an opinion

and not a slagardly thing, now put those weapons down, and have a cup of tea.

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

In results and goals?

I would say we are too negative tactically at home generally, or at least have been, and the system Monk played was much better suited to playing away. I don't think you can blame the crowd for us being the lowest home scorers and say we are the highest away scorers because of the away fans, I think there are more important factors than that.

Fair enough, I don't get to many away games nowadays but hoping to as the grandson gets older. I get to almost every home game and it drives me potty how negative we are sometimes. It definitely doesn't help the team in any way. Also we seem to pick on individuals an awful lot. That can't be a good thing surely. The treatment Fox has had in particular astounds me, and how he's come through it speaks volumes about his character. They won't all be capable of that though, especially the younger ones.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daleblue said:

Whoooooooa, just hang on there two guns, people having different opinions that don't reflect yours is still an opinion

and not a slagardly thing, now put those weapons down, and have a cup of tea.

I'm not talking about having opinions different to mine though mate - that's always totally fine

Read this thread

Tell me there aren't people slagging us/players/monk off 

(and that's not be being oversensitive either)

Owlstalk Shop

Its the younger and less confident players that suffer when there is unrest in the dressing room..If the Westwood/ Hutch scenario has caused unrest this will affect those....Bannan came out and supported Monk with his judgement that FF had come back undercooked, Bannan can say that cos for Wednesday Bannan is twice the player Forestieri has been...he's better than Hutchinson..In my opinion.. for Wednesday Nuhiu is more of an assett to Wednesday than Hutch or Forestieri.....

Forget these players who don't want to play for the club, its simply idolising the past....they have no affiliation with the fans now..cos they can't be ars*ed to play for the fans...Thx for the memories ..f.ook off

• Like 7

1 minute ago, TommyCraig said:

Fair enough, I don't get to many away games nowadays but hoping to as the grandson gets older. I get to almost every home game and it drives me potty how negative we are sometimes. It definitely doesn't help the team in any way. Also we seem to pick on individuals an awful lot. That can't be a good thing surely. The treatment Fox has had in particular astounds me, and how he's come through it speaks volumes about his character. They won't all be capable of that though, especially the younger ones.

I agree in terms of the negativity not helping but in terms of the overall approach I do think it can be a bit of a chicken and egg situation sometimes - the fact we are the lowest home scorers and have a terrible first half record at Hillsborough this season breeds negativity and there is little to encourage the crowd and feed a positive influence.

The booing of individuals at any time is never helpful, I just don't understand what fans hope to achieve from it. The booing of players when named on the team sheet or coming on as sub beggars belief.