The Road to Redemption - Garry Monk Edition

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Well I’m not saying certain people wouldn’t be overly sensitive to criticism online. There are tons of them on this site, particularly if you go in the politics section 

Im saying that if it does overly affect them then I fully expect them to bottle it on the pitch too because they just don’t have a strong mentality. Personally I’d rather we signed winners and got the results rather than people who can’t take criticism 

The problem is though, it doesn't stay confined to social media.

As is proved on here, which is what we've been discussing the last couple of days. People take a dislike to a player, push their views on social media, others latch onto it & it gathers momentum. Suddenly a player who is certainly no worse than their favourites, is cast as the pantomime villain.

People who are sheep and incapable of forming their own opinion suddenly think said player is as garbage as portrayed and join in the vitriol.

They then turn up at the ground & subsequently boo a player before he hits the field because everyone else does.

The player we were discussing, Morgan Fox DID have the strength of character to eventually overcome the abuse, but it meant he played well within himself for ages before we saw the best of him and MAY be partly responsible for contributing to his exit, if he ends up leaving.

Also totally NOT interested in how anyone else would have reacted in another era. Roy Keane was a brilliant competitor but a thug who, devoid of the allowance to nearly break legs every game would have lost 50% of his repertoire. Same as Tommy Smith, same as Norman Hunter.

Different times, different allowances, different 'pressures'.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Yes but what I’m saying is this. If my work is crap and needs to improve, then someone calling it crap is just truth and being honest. That could drive me to improve to prove them wrong so that next time my work isn’t crap.

If my work wasn’t crap but someone said that it was, I’d defer to the people that matter.. clients and management. 

Either way opinions just don’t matter. Not if you want to achieve anything. Nobody achieved anything in life without doubters along the way.. winners focus on themselves and losers crack under pressure. I know that’s harsh and not very nice but it’s also reality 

Yes to an extent but if your work is crap I can fire you (or manage you out) quickly so you have no influence, and sort out in a similar manor anyone who follows your line. That is not the case in a professional football club they have contracts that have to be paid off.

We are looking at a real world issue not a theoretical game. Reality is if you have a disruptive group within a team and you cannot remove the contact you are stuffed.    

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

As is proved on here, which is what we've been discussing the last couple of days. People take a dislike to a player, push their views on social media, others latch onto it & it gathers momentum. Suddenly a player who is certainly no worse than their favourites, is cast as the pantomime villain.

People who are sheep and incapable of forming their own opinion suddenly think said player is as garbage as portrayed and join in the vitriol.

They then turn up at the ground & subsequently boo a player before he hits the field because everyone else does.

The player we were discussing, Morgan Fox DID have the strength of character to eventually overcome the abuse, but it meant he played well within himself for ages before we saw the best of him and MAY be partly responsible for contributing to his exit, if he ends up leaving.

Also totally NOT interested in how anyone else would have reacted in another era. Roy Keane was a brilliant competitor but a thug who, devoid of the allowance to nearly break legs every game would have lost 50% of his repertoire. Same as Tommy Smith, same as Norman Hunter.

Agree some of the threads on here are toxic at best

1 minute ago, Bucksowl said:

Agree some of the threads on here are toxic at best

And this is kindergarten compared to Twitter.

The other problem with Social Media is that, obviously you don't see the person involved which may help put any comments in context.

Chances are with half of them, you'd hear them utter one syllable, take one look at them and say "Yeah, whatever mate" & leave them to it.

4 hours ago, sonofbert2 said:

The fuckingstate of some our “supporters”.

They should keep the cardboard cutout thing going, let them sit there with a miserable face because at least they won’t be moaning every bastardtwo minutes!

Not having fans ridiculing them like they did at Brentford will be a bonus to many of our players 

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
13 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

If I was a player I just wouldn’t look at social media.. especially not the comments. There’s no upside to doing so, when you do well people excessively suck up and over inflate your ego and when you do badly they make you feel terrible. I doubt most players obsess over it tbh 

Of course people are sheep.. but I think Fox leaving probably has more to do with reduced terms being offered rather than anything else. If anything the fans have been good to him after a shaky start as he’s won POTM a few times. Similarly with Fletcher he’s left and he’s always had good support from the fans.. suggests they just don’t care about fan opinions all that much. And that’s exactly as it should

be and what I’d expect at professional level

2 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

And this is kindergarten compared to Twitter.

The other problem with Social Media is that, obviously you don't see the person involved which may help put any comments in context.

Chances are with half of them, you'd hear them utter one syllable, take one look at them and say "Yeah, whatever mate" & leave them to it.

Thank God I do not use Twitter.

Most people would not make those comments face to face just shows their worth. I have followed the Owls for 60+ years, a United support grandfather used to take me to watch them (true) I cannot believe the s**t I read on this site.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

If I was a player I just wouldn’t look at social media.. especially not the comments. There’s no upside to doing so, when you do well people excessively suck up and over inflate your ego and when you do badly they make you feel terrible. I doubt most players obsess over it tbh 

Of course people are sheep.. but I think Fox leaving probably has more to do with reduced terms being offered rather than anything else. If anything the fans have been good to him after a shaky start as he’s won POTM a few times. Similarly with Fletcher he’s left and he’s always had good support from the fans.. suggests they just don’t care about fan opinions all that much. And that’s exactly as it should

be and what I’d expect at professional level

Agree with players not being involved in social media but it aint gonna happen i'm afraid.

As for the Fox issue. It was discussed at great length over the last two days and the consensus seemed to be that although the early abuse he received wouldn't have been the REASON he would leave, it may have contributed in conjunction with other considerations.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Bucksowl said:

Thank God I do not use Twitter.

Most people would not make those comments face to face just shows their worth. I have followed the Owls for 60+ years, a United support grandfather used to take me to watch them (true) I cannot believe the s**t I read on this site.

This is the most moderated Sheffield Wednesday platform on the internet

You really don't want to be reading Twitter if you think this site is bad - it'd give you a heart attack (or break your heart)

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

This is the most moderated Sheffield Wednesday platform on the internet

You really don't want to be reading Twitter if you think this site is bad - it'd give you a heart attack (or break your heart)

The latter. DC must wonder what he as got into?

Just now, Bucksowl said:

The latter. DC must wonder what he as got into?

Yeah it will be a massive massive culture shock for him and his lad to read the stuff on Twitter

Even today as we were winning on Twitter there were people ripping the players and Garry Monk to absolute bits

Even at the final whistle and afterwards

Not even polite, reasoned argument either - just full on abuse

Chansiri won't have been prepared for that at all

He'll be used to it now, but I know for a fact it infuriates him beyond belief

Owlstalk Shop

Lovely performance today. Monk has focused the team on the basics. Defend well, look after the ball, and work like hell on set play attacking given we lack quick strikers. He has had the stones to drop the 1 and 2 goalies from start of season, bench the skipper, drop and release the trouble makers. Has given debuts to good young players coming through. 

the break came at a good time for us. Looks like we have got Wickham into condition and new formation suits us.

we won’t score many from open play but if we defend and keep goal like we have so far we won’t lose many .

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah it will be a massive massive culture shock for him and his lad to read the stuff on Twitter

Even today as we were winning on Twitter there were people ripping the players and Garry Monk to absolute bits

Even at the final whistle and afterwards

Not even polite, reasoned argument either - just full on abuse

Chansiri won't have been prepared for that at all

He'll be used to it now, but I know for a fact it infuriates him beyond belief

I bet. saw him and his kid at MK they love the club. 

We have to find away to change the tone once the moderates start winning a thread it goes quiet (like this one). Guess we just have to keep posting (note to myself). 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

It's like a massive bell rings out from the church of the nutters

They all hear it and come flocking to post their hate of the manager in some semi-religious fervour

It's like a cult

They're all full on cults

lol

Did you mean to spell cult with an 'n'?

3 minutes ago, Bucksowl said:

I bet. saw him and his kid at MK they love the club. 

We have to find away to change the tone once the moderates start winning a thread it goes quiet (like this one). Guess we just have to keep posting (note to myself). 

What you find with any platform or social media is that the moderate people, the calm people and those who are less extreme in their views don't post

So you end up with a plethora of nutters ranting about 'sack him' or 'he's crap' over and over and feel like their views are more credible because they try and shout the loudest

That's why I always try and post a counterargument 

Otherwise it would literally just be lunatics posting ranty nonsense

lol

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

26 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What you find with any platform or social media is that the moderate people, the calm people and those who are less extreme in their views don't post

So you end up with a plethora of nutters ranting about 'sack him' or 'he's crap' over and over and feel like their views are more credible because they try and shout the loudest

lol

Reminds me of one of the tracks on Dark side of the moon lol

38 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

lol

I’m pleased to be recognised.

:tango:

• Haha 1