The Road to Redemption - Garry Monk Edition

Guest LondonOwl313
26 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Not they didn't

Erm they did.. can’t find anyone saying there was something wrong with yesterday’s performance. People rightly expressed reservations after 3 wins in 16 though but that’s not the same thing 

4 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Erm they did.. can’t find anyone saying there was something wrong with yesterday’s performance. 

Not sure you've actually been reading the forum over the last 48 hours.

I've been fending off people saying Palmer, Fox, Pelupessy, Monk and co were crap

So come on... let's at least talk facts in this thread and not your fairytale version of it

Owlstalk Shop

The pitch has players on it that want to be here and want to play for this club. 

The ones who don't want to be here are out. 

It shouldn't be surprising that the performances are better when the players on the pitch are the ones committed to the cause.

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Will be interesting what happens when we lose a few because we will.. Monk got the selection and tactics spot on yesterday. The 11 that started plus probably Reach are our only players who are top half championship standard. Any changes to that line up and we just don’t have the depth now to replace them.

Will be interesting to see what the pro Monk lot say when we lose and they can’t blame Westwood, Hutchinson and Forestieri for influencing the performance from their sofa at home 

Edited by briggowl

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Not sure you've actually been reading the forum over the last 48 hours.

I've been fending off people saying Palmer, Fox, Pelupessy, Monk and co were crap

So come on... let's at least talk facts in this thread and not your fairytale version of it

And I've seen several going on about how Forest and Bristol City helped us out by being so poor.

Credit where credit is due. We've come back from the break and look a much better team.

Still going to take a bit more than that to convince me, but I'd be delighted to be proved wrong. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Play offs were there for the taking.. when you think about how bad we’ve been and the fact that 3 more wins would have seen us sitting in 6th, it’s not really been good enough. 

Understanderbly this is why a lot have fans have lost faith in the manager.

When we played Leeds at Hillsborough we were 3rd and would have gone top with a win. We were still 3rd and challenging for promotion when we beat Bristol C. just before Christmas. 

After that game we went to pot. Yes we were without Fletcher but Monk dropped other players that helped get us to that position, changed tactics, played players in strange positions.

Our performances from Christmas to lockdown were terrible. The form was disastrous and in the space of about 10 weeks we went from looking at promotion to worrying about relegation.

The reaction of fans would have been the same or even worse if this had happened at any club.

All this in a championship that is not very good this season. The 2 teams that achieve automatic promotion will do so with a lower points total than is normally required. The 4 teams that make the play offs will be average and there is the feeling that we could have and should have been one of them.

I do believe our previous manager would have had this squad in the play offs at the very least.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Will be interesting what happens when we lose a few because we will.. Monk got the selection and tactics spot on yesterday. The 11 that started plus probably Reach are our only players who are top half championship standard. Any changes to that line up and we just don’t have the depth now to replace them.

Will be interesting to see what the pro Monk lot say when we lose and they can’t blame Westwood, Hutchinson and Forestieri for influencing the performance from their sofa at home 

So what you are saying is if we get a few injuries then the depth of the squad is not good enough.

Nobody would argue with that but how is it Monk’s fault . You saying it’s his fault he can’t win games with poor quality players.

Are you suggesting that we should have offered all these players new contracts and , even more unlikely, that they would have accepted the terms we can now afford.

I think the Fox example makes that a pretty unlikely scenario.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Yep

But that’s true. As improved as we have been no one can argue that Forest and Bristol City were very poor. It’s about to hat you concentrate on. You can look at one side or the other or both that’s peoples opinion but doesn’t mean one is right and one is wrong 

Whole league is poor. Leeds are a decent side, as are Brentford but the rest are bang average. Forest and Cardiff in the playoffs?? FFS. 

The standard of the Championship gets worse every year. In years gone by, the champions such as Reading, Fulham, Wolves etc would have got over 100 points easily. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vulva said:

Whole league is poor. Leeds are a decent side, as are Brentford but the rest are bang average. Forest and Cardiff in the playoffs?? FFS. 

The standard of the Championship gets worse every year. In years gone by, the champions such as Reading, Fulham, Wolves etc would have got over 100 points easily. 

I don't think Leeds and West Brom are as good as they were last season. With 7 games left to play they both have 9 points less than they got in total last season, which was nowhere near enough for autos.

Just want him gone. Even if he turns it around which is doubtful, he’ll never get any praise from me. When you’re as sensitive to criticism as he obviously is, you’re not going to succeed here?