The Road to Redemption - Garry Monk Edition

I’ve been a big critic of his since Christmas, however would be willing to give him this and next season.

I think he’s got the right mentality and intentions, got rid of the troublemakers/deadwood and seems to have reinstalled belief into the players and reiterated what it means to play for this club 

You get older and you understand football a lot more. Not just on the field, but the logistics of it all. Chopping and changing helps nothing 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Played well today.

Still not sure about his subs. Odubajo nearly cost us again and we always look shaky when JP plays in my view. 

Odubajo seems to be always out of position, his pace sometimes makes up for it. Surprised Urhoghide hasn’t had much of a look in actually. 

Centre back is an area that needs strengthening IMO. If Iorfa/Borner get injured, we are left with Lees who has struggled big time this season. I know its only ‘ 2 games in’ but we seem to have a system that works. We should be trying to strengthen by getting players that are suited to this system as opposed to the previous shoehorning approach 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, daleblue said:

So I have read and re- read the thread up until you told me to,

above is the poster / posters guilty of slagging off,

unfortunately you come top by a long chalk, maybe its you that should refrain from posting so much, or try and be

a little bit more understanding that other people have different views to yours.

Please go back and check if I'm right, if you dont believe me.

Honestly you are the biggest slag on here and thats being honest.

Please dont take this to heart but learn from it, be brave be a man.

Honesty is the best policy.

Only here to help. pm me if you need advice.

Don't try and fight the system mate, believe me, you can't win! :ph34r:

Just now, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

The spat last week was late night Classic Gold for the few that witnessed it but rightly moderated in the end and best consigned to the past. As you say it's been too good a day to spoil now.

If I hadn't seen that picture, I would have assumed he was a hypersensitive and immature teenage boy, such was the depth and wit of his trolling.

5 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Either way opinions just don’t matter. Not if you want to achieve anything. Nobody achieved anything in life without doubters along the way.. winners focus on themselves and losers crack under pressure. I know that’s harsh and not very nice but it’s also reality 

Sorry but that’s such complete and utter rubbish - did you make that up all on your own or have you been reading too many self help books about winning mentality?  I don’t think you have the first idea about functioning as part of a team.

9 hours ago, vulva said:

Played really well and should have won by more. 

However, they were absolute dogger. 

True. The last two games have been better but both teams we have played have been shocking.

I can’t wait for monk to go but it has been better. 

3 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

True. The last two games have been better but both teams we have played have been shocking.

I can’t wait for monk to go but it has been better. 

What if it continues to get better though.?

Guest LondonOwl313
33 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

Sorry but that’s such complete and utter rubbish - did you make that up all on your own or have you been reading too many self help books about winning mentality?  I don’t think you have the first idea about functioning as part of a team.

Look at any sport it’s fine margins and mentality is important. Weakness isn’t a positive for results. Get the impression that people who think having a strong mentality isn’t important have never succeeded at anything 

Monk even talks continually about mentality... the idea that players shouldn’t be subjected to criticism in case it hurts their feelings or gives them self doubt that might negatively affect performance is a silly one and out of touch with reality. It’s an obstacle they need to overcome to be successful 

Monk hasn't really deserved any criticism this season. We started the season fantastically well without him being able to bring in any of his own signings or staff.

The run from Boxing Day onwards was terrible and unbelievable when you consider we were 3rd at Christmas. However, it is fully evident that there are many players in our squad who have become toxic and some of them are now thankfully leaving. 

I hope he gets the chance to try and build his own side over the next few years and see what he can do. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, ReadingOwl said:

Great OP title.

Superb sentiment that I agree with.

Long may it continue.

Monk has impressed me, playing the cards he has been dealt with, at the re-start.

Didnt think his redemption was possible.

The remaining players deserve credit too.

agree with this give him time, give him players that he wants unify the dressing room and get behind him 20 years of poo isn't going to be fixed easily

3 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Monk hasn't really deserved any criticism this season. We started the season fantastically well without him being able to bring in any of his own signings or staff.

The run from Boxing Day onwards was terrible and unbelievable when you consider we were 3rd at Christmas. However, it is fully evident that there are many players in our squad who have become toxic and some of them are now thankfully leaving. 

I hope he gets the chance to try and build his own side over the next few years and see what he can do. 

He has to shoulder some of the blame for only picking up 2 wins in 15.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Look at any sport it’s fine margins and mentality is important. Weakness isn’t a positive for results. Get the impression that people who think having a strong mentality isn’t important have never succeeded at anything 

Monk even talks continually about mentality... the idea that players shouldn’t be subjected to criticism in case it hurts their feelings or gives them self doubt that might negatively affect performance is a silly one and out of touch with reality. It’s an obstacle they need to overcome to be successful 

That’s basically a long winded way of saying you are going to boo your own football teams players whether they like it or not

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

Guest LondonOwl313
24 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That’s basically a long winded way of saying you are going to boo your own football teams players whether they like it or not

Personally I’ve never booed any of our players. But some people will or when playing away the opposition fans will be hostile so they need to get over it and focus on their game.

Bottom line is if they do their jobs well and achieve results then fans will be happy and generally won’t be critical, and if the team is doing what’s expected of it then most of the players will be staying. If the players aren’t doing their jobs well and results are poor, fans will be hostile and tbh the players should be leaving if it goes on for an extended period given the team is failing. If they’re leaving anyway who cares if they get stick when it’s well deserved 

Guest LondonOwl313
56 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm sorry but you're completely wrong

So in 2016 were there loads of threads criticising all of the players or were they broadly supportive?