The Road to Redemption - Garry Monk Edition

26 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

So in 2016 were there loads of threads criticising all of the players or were they broadly supportive?

I've seen and heard Liverpool fans complaining this season. Think about that for a moment. P31 W28 D2 L1, a mere 23 points more than anyone else and on course for a Premier League points record.

• Haha 2

Man, this site is suffering from the COVID quarantine. Bring back the neg button please or at least have mods and site owners stay neutral, as it should be. A forum is a place to post your own views and opinions, persons of (forum)power should not belittle this or try to argue the throw to impress upon people their own views. If someone believes Bannan is carp it doesn't mean we need an "I Love you BB" thread with stats and everything. If people think, me included, that Monk is still bob then its their view. 

37 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

So in 2016 were there loads of threads criticising all of the players or were they broadly supportive?

When we got in the play-offs the second time ONLY winning 1-0 every week this place was an absolute madhouse!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GerOwl said:

Man, this site is suffering from the COVID quarantine. Bring back the neg button please or at least have mods and site owners stay neutral, as it should be. A forum is a place to post your own views and opinions, persons of (forum)power should not belittle this or try to argue the throw to impress upon people their own views. If someone believes Bannan is carp it doesn't mean we need an "I Love you BB" thread with stats and everything. If people think, me included, that Monk is still bob then its their view. 

So basically you're allowed an opinion and I'm not?

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, GerOwl said:

But that's what a forum is all about debate when two people has different views and each other trying to put there view across to prove that their view holds more weight than the other and trying to convince the other person to share it or at least understand the point they are making.

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

But that's what a forum is all about debate when two people has different views and each other trying to put there view across to prove that their view holds more weight than the other and trying to convince the other person to share it or at least understand the point they are making.

Yeah

Like someone says Bannan is crap so I pulled a load of stats (e.g. FACTS) to 100% totally completely prove he's most definitely not

And now I've got someone saying I shouldn't have done that and just accepted the other person's views (without questioning it) that Bannan is crap 

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

21 hours ago, Markowski77 said:

So credit where credit is due!!!! 

I just think this has been an impossible job for Monk since the EFL charge came out, disenchanted players, players on huge money with bad characters, a chairman that's apparently gone awol, apparently limited back room staff? Fans that literally can't raise a chant at Hillsborough (and I don't blame us, it's been horrendous all season). 

Any Wednesday fan is entitled to be upset with our run since Christmas, so I get the Monk out crowd, we all have doubted him but lets hope he has the strength and determination to turn the club back around, whatever the EFL outcome. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, briggowl said:

I just think this has been an impossible job for Monk since the EFL charge came out, disenchanted players, players on huge money with bad characters, a chairman that's apparently gone awol, apparently limited back room staff? Fans that literally can't raise a chant at Hillsborough (and I don't blame us, it's been horrendous all season). 

Any Wednesday fan is entitled to be upset with our run since Christmas, so I get the Monk out crowd, we all have doubted him but lets hope he has the strength and determination to turn the club back around, whatever the EFL outcome. 

It's only a couple of games I know, but it does seem like there is a more positive view of monk now amongst a lot of the posters on here

Feel that we will get one drubbing at least playing 3 at the back this season, but let's see where he takes us with the new formation

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GerOwl said:

Why should site moderators be neutral? They're fans just like the rest of us and will have their own opinions about what's right and wrong. Have you been banned for nothing more than disagreeing with someone's point of view? If not, I don't see how you are being in any way disadvantaged compared with anyone else.

There are some loonies here for sure, just like anywhere else, but I'm not for suppressing them unless they are in breach of some kind of reasonable code of conduct. Neil and I don't agree about the legacy of Trevor Francis for example, but I'm not going to cry about it. It's really not a big deal is it?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah

Like someone says Bannan is crap so I pulled a load of stats (e.g. FACTS) to 100% totally completely prove he's most definitely not

And now I've got someone saying I shouldn't have done that and just accepted the other person's views (without questioning it) that Bannan is crap 

Ye, the Bannan is crap brigade do make me laugh tho. Whilst forums are there for discussion and debate, I can’t for the life of me think why some would say Bannan is crap. Any club in the league would take him. More like, we’ve not utilised his abilities apart from the first season under Carlos. 

Keep a midfield 3 next season and get some movement up top and out wide and let’s see how he performs?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Markowski77 said:

Now that was a performance!!!! 

Don’t get me wrong he still has work to do get me convinced after some off the embarrassing performances / results earlier in the season. I’ve not been his biggest fan

But these two latest performances, n particular the one today is the best way to start repairing those wounds. 

So credit where credit is due!!!! 

Not many managers, turn it around after the point of no return where the fan base turns , but fair play today’s result can be the way back for him. Shows good character!!!!!

More of the same!! Let’s push on now, finish the season strong and give us some momentum going into next season. 

Well done Wednesday, Well done Monk 

UTO WAWAW

I only go to the home games and I can say, honestly, that I have never heard the fans call for Monk to go.

It's only on site's like this that I see a limited, but vociferous, few call for Monk to go.

I think we saw yesterday how Monk want's the team to play and so next season we can judge him better with his own players in the club.😉

11 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Why should site moderators be neutral? They're fans just like the rest of us and will have their own opinions about what's right and wrong. Have you been banned for nothing more than disagreeing with someone's point of view? If not, I don't see how you are being in any way disadvantaged compared with anyone else.

There are some loonies here for sure, just like anywhere else, but I'm not for suppressing them unless they are in breach of some kind of reasonable code of conduct. Neil and I don't agree about the legacy of Trevor Francis for example, but I'm not going to cry about it. It's really not a big deal is it?

Exactly.  Just like I dont share the same views with him on Carlos. However that doesn't stop me agreeing with him about Garry Monk.

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
59 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Why not just look at the last 24 hours after we won away?

Most of the comments yesterday were positive.. for some reason you have a habit of focusing on ones that disagree with your own view and then go after those posters.

Everyone praised Monk and the players yesterday.. but that doesn’t change the fact that they haven’t been good enough this season. Play offs were there for the taking.. when you think about how bad we’ve been and the fact that 3 more wins would have seen us sitting in 6th, it’s not really been good enough. 

It’s natural that when things go well the players get praise and when they go badly they get criticism. That’s football.. but people can use mental health excuses on why the appraisal shouldn’t follow that 

Guest LondonOwl313
22 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

It's only a couple of games I know, but it does seem like there is a more positive view of monk now amongst a lot of the posters on here

Feel that we will get one drubbing at least playing 3 at the back this season, but let's see where he takes us with the new formation

Will be interesting what happens when we lose a few because we will.. Monk got the selection and tactics spot on yesterday. The 11 that started plus probably Reach are our only players who are top half championship standard. Any changes to that line up and we just don’t have the depth now to replace them.

Will be interesting to see what the pro Monk lot say when we lose and they can’t blame Westwood, Hutchinson and Forestieri for influencing the performance from their sofa at home 

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Will be interesting what happens when we lose a few because we will.. Monk got the selection and tactics spot on yesterday. The 11 that started plus probably Reach are our only players who are top half championship standard. Any changes to that line up and we just don’t have the depth now to replace them.

Will be interesting to see what the pro Monk lot say when we lose and they can’t blame Westwood, Hutchinson and Forestieri for influencing the performance from their sofa at home 

I'm happy to give him pre season and about 12-15 games next season before I judge him

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Forestieri has been in and around training all the time, yet we got results.

Its purely down to a change in tactics, had we been 442 I doubt we would have got either result. 

19 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I have no issues whatsoever with people having different opinions if they can form and present an adult reasoned, factual side of the debate including stats to back up what they're saying (just so we can have a look at them and understand they're speaking from an educated side of things)

But the ones who just go 'XXXXXX IS CRAP SO THAT'S THAT' are the ones I just cannot accept. I never have done and never will. 

If you don't like Di Canio for instance I'm sure you'd present a side of the debate that I could read, understand and have some empathy with

Sadly though others aren't capable of doing so or interacting in this kind of way and that's what really gets my goat

lol

Monk's crap

5 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Even Liverpool have lost a few this season. It happens. Doesn't mean you have to set your hair on fire and run around in circles.