THE EFL HEARING THREAD

1 hour ago, modboy said:

I fear it's at either end of the scale. 

Either we have been found not guilty and they are appealing OR they have given us a ridiculously high points deduction and we are appealing

If a verdict had been reached it would have been announced prior to either party appealing.

8 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Bristol Post

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley-chief-threatens-efl-slams-4339318

Barnsley chief threatens EFL and slams 'cheating’ Derby County, Sheffield Wednesday and Birmingham City

Barnsley co-chairman Paul Conway has slammed the English Football League for their inability to regulate Derby County, Sheffield Wednesday and Birmingham City, labelling their actions as 'cheating'.

The Championship relegation picture remains unclear with two matches left to play this season.

Derby and Sheffield Wednesday are still awaiting the verdicts from their trials over financial misconduct charges, with both clubs vigorously denying the charges, which could lead to a points deduction of up to 21 points.

Equally, Birmingham were found guilty of breaching an EFL financial plan early this year, upon appeal, although no sanctions were issued.

With Wigan Athletic also facing a deduction of 12 points for entering administration, the final league standings could yet look very different despite there being less than a week to run of the normal season.

It was reported earlier this year that Barnsley, who sit bottom of the Championship and on the brink of an immediate return to League One, were prepared to sue the EFL for loss of earnings, if the outstanding legal cases against Wednesday and Derby are not concluded.

Conway has reiterated that the club remains committed to that stance, whilst blasting the EFL for their inability to exact correct punishment for those found guilty of breaching financial regulations.

"You have scam stadium deals, fake sponsorship contracts, delinquent financials, not paying players on time, huge debts and no action," Conway told The Telegraph. "It’s really not good for English football and not encouraging investment.

‘If little old Barnsley and its supporters have to lead the way to clean up English football then we’ll do it by any means necessary. If that has to be litigation, so be it."

He added: "We’ve invested in four football clubs in four countries, and been at the highest level in the Champions League, and frankly England is the worst place to operate.

"Many teams cheat and the league is so weak enforcing its own rules. In most other leagues, not paying players on time is automatic relegation. Administration in France and Spain is relegation by two divisions.

"In England, teams like Derby and Wigan, maybe even Sheffield Wednesday, don’t pay their players [on time] and they don’t receive any penalties.

"A serial offender in Birmingham were found guilty again and what was their punishment? Nothing.

"The whole purpose of the league is to prevent sporting advantages that are unfair. The division is incredibly close and any sporting advantage has a huge impact."

Bristol City's CEO Mark Ashton also sits on the EFL board and the Robins have maintained they are in favour of greater financial governance that enables more clubs to be run in a sustainable fashion.

The club support the idea of a salary cap, or "wage control" as the concept tends to be labelled in football with discussions to be held later this month over an £18m limit for 2020/21.

When you have the chairman of Barnsley, a club who's owners are reportedly the fifth richest in the country, kicking off when they've allowed their own club to sink back into L1 with a whimper, you know he's covering his own back and job.

Deflection tactics to appease the fan base - 'maybe even SWFC' he says - just drop that in as he know the dingles will rear up on that news.

Pathetic.

35 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

No - ANYONE who's following him expecting him to drop out any information/hints/facts about our case

He won't

He can't

He won't do it

Not one bit

To be fair I think most on here are simply getting amusement from trying to find some hidden messages in his tweets rather than actually expecting anything from it.

You're right though, some following him will be wanting him to reveal the details and getting annoyed with him that he hasn't! 

5 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Scam stadium sales and fake sponsorship contracts. I think he has summed it up perfectly to be honest. 

Selling something to yourself is not a sale and setting up companies who don't even trade, earn any money or sell any goods then claim they "pay" for sponsorship is downright taking the p155. 

Anyone had a rough guess at what difference would be in a sponsorship deal with Beres Pork Sarnies, or whoever else would sponsor us and what DC currently puts in though these ‘companies’ 

5 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Scam stadium sales and fake sponsorship contracts. I think he has summed it up perfectly to be honest. 

Selling something to yourself is not a sale and setting up companies who don't even trade, earn any money or sell any goods then claim they "pay" for sponsorship is downright taking the p155. 

But not in itself illegal in terms of business practices and not uncommon. Immoral maybe but these things do happen in the corporate world and the loopholes in the P&S rules also make these kind of things possible. 

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

Anyone had a rough guess at what difference would be in a sponsorship deal with Beres Pork Sarnies, or whoever else would sponsor us and what DC currently puts in though these ‘companies’ 

I'm not disputing he puts in more, but it's so clear for other clubs to see what he is doing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Yea like that could never result in a conflict of interests or owt ffs!

I'm sure they invested in 4 clubs in 4 countries as an altruistic move for the good of the communities they invested in rather than as a means to any financial gain.........

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

But not in itself illegal in terms of business practices and not uncommon. Immoral maybe but these things do happen in the corporate world and the loopholes in the P&S rules also make these kind of things possible. 

Not illegal, no, but it's easy to see why other clubs are hacked off by Chansiri's blatent attempt to circumnavigate the rules. 

We often hear that ‘hindsight’ is a wonderful thing and right now there are no doubt thousands of Owls fans wishing they were gifted with such wisdom especially as we await for the EFL outcome. But as we don’t have the benefit of ‘hindsight’ we are all asking the same questions - Did we win, did we lose, what will be the the outcome - points deduction, relegation, large fine etc, etc.

However, what worries me is the repercussions should the outcome land us into League One or worst still administration - both are possible and hopefully not probable.

Being present at the last Fans Forum when frustrated fan vented their anger directly at the Chairman which as we all know was not the first time he had been subjected to the wrath of the fan base, I now worry that should we end up relegated he will not want to show his face anywhere near Hillsborough in fear of the repercussions.

If I was Chansiri I would remain in Thailand rather than face the barrage of abuse from thousands of angry fans who would undoubtedly make his visits to Hillsborough rather unpleasant.

Our future hangs in the balance so let’s hope the decision, whatever it is keeps us where we rightly belong right now - in the Championship and Mr Chansiri eager to correct his many mistakes.

1 minute ago, S36 OWL said:

I'm not disputing he puts in more, but it's so clear for other clubs to see what he is doing. 

Putting in more money than they can ? 

1 minute ago, S36 OWL said:

Not illegal, no, but it's easy to see why other clubs are hacked off by Chansiri's blatent attempt to circumnavigate the rules. 

Absolutely but other than Barnsley, the vast majority of clubs at this level are spending more than they earn year in year out and it will only be a matter of time before they come under the scrutiny of the P&S rules - it is not sustainable as things stand. 

Middlesbrough are another of the big complainants - be interesting to see what their finances look like in relation to P&S in a couple of years time without the benefit of parachute payments. 

I work with a Barnsley fan and he cant stand their owners.  Absolutely minted and they have just let the club get relegated. 

What’s their game? Why did they buy Barnsley.

They’re definitely covering their @rses with this attack. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

No - ANYONE who's following him expecting him to drop out any information/hints/facts about our case

He won't

He can't

He won't do it

Not one bit

Yeh but don't they bring in psychological experts to crack tough cases? Sometimes its handwriting, sometimes its a psychologist, sometimes its instagram food bloggers that can analyse the deep rooted childhood trauma say of a particularly dense macaroni cheese. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I'm sure they invested in 4 clubs in 4 countries as an altruistic move for the good of the communities they invested in rather than as a means to any financial gain......…

I was talking to a Dingle the other day - he finds it amusing at our plight. I said, what about you lot - what's the plan?. He said 'gradual progression'. I said, but you're going back down, so it will take you back 2-3 years. He said yes, but it's a long-term plan.

The co-owners are rich, but what motivates them to fund Barnsley? If the fan base don't even have expectations of PL, then what possible return on Investment can they yield?

Difficult to accurately estimate but you could say we have an average rich owner compared to owners of other top clubs 

the difference is we chucked the kitchen sink and some at it to try albeit failing

they as one of the richest consortiums in the game and have messed about with spare change and failed 

for me they can F off

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Yeh but don't they bring in psychological experts to crack tough cases? Sometimes its handwriting, sometimes its a psychologist, sometimes its instagram food bloggers that can analyse the deep rooted childhood trauma say of a particularly dense macaroni cheese. 

Pasta is the only only way Nick can communicate the eternal truth...

garymegson

Just now, Animis said:

I was talking to a Dingle the other day - he finds it amusing at our plight. I said, what about you lot - what's the plan?. He said 'gradual progression'. I said, but you're going back down, so it will take you back 2-3 years. He said yes, but it's a long-term plan.

The co-owners are rich, but what motivates them to fund Barnsley? If the fan base don't even have expectations of PL, then what possible return on Investment can they yield?

Who knows. I had a similar conversation with a Barnsley fan last week. As you say the ambition and belief does not appear to exist but whenever they are in the Championship they are only 1 good season away from the riches that would make a big return on the modest outlay at a club like theirs. Doesn't seem realistic but they aren't losing any money in the way they are currently structuring it and it probably didn't seem that realistic for clubs like Bournemouth, Burnley, Blackpool, Huddersfield etc. before they went up.

He also said you don't know what is going on behind the scenes in terms of corporate structure, who knows but I don't think they got involved with a 2nd/3rd division yo-yo club without a plan for financial gain somehow.