THE EFL HEARING THREAD

1 minute ago, daveyboy66 said:

Barnsley co-chairman Paul Conway has hit out at the EFL and clubs including Sheffield Wednesday regarding financial fair play. The Owls were one of the teams namechecked for ‘cheating’. Not being punished for failing to do such things as paying players. (Telegraph)

like how its the main headline then they hid that comment as a footnote to an image in small text 

im like most aint a clue , but know if they hit us with 9pts plus what sends us down then i know they are doing it deliberately ,birmingham last season got 9 points but had plenty of games left . if we knew 7 games ago we are getting x points deduction then we might have had to go all out to win games , look at some of the results lately when clubs have a gun pointing at them and they need points they get them , then the likes of qpr who are on the beach dont perform . one thing i do know is if they relegated us this season then we would enter administration ,you cant operate a club with zero income 900k tv money and having to refund a certain amount of support while the rest prob wont buy a season ticket due to corona . i doubt chansiri will lose over 30 million a season to keep us afloat and lower leagues possibly for many years . staying up is vital. 

Guest Mcguigan
39 minutes ago, Animis said:

And like the audited accounts, the valuation was done independently and signed off in accordance with the RICS standards. Any practice who inflate the values could be severely reprimanded and potential disqualified in providing this service in future, risking their existence. They wouldn't do this for this reason.

The EFL can ask for another valuation, which might come up with a different figure. It might then be a matter for arbitration, but it doesn't mean either valuation is wrong, just that they looked at different figures for the variables - construction costs indices, level of depreciation of Hillsborough etc.

So say the valuation level is reduced to £50m through arbitration, it doesn't mean SWFC are guilty of misconduct, rather their consultants have not done as diligent job as they thought. I assume the level will be adjusted in the EFL returns so say we lost £8m in 17/18 rather than the £2m profit, although not sure about the SWFC official accounts, as these were signed off?

Thing that confuses me is that the company who actually purchased the ground in July 18 weren't incorporated until 20th June 2019, 11 months later. It was then dissolved 6 months after that.

He does seem to weaved a tangled web of new companies to get this through. Probably means nowt though.

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

See one persons creative accounting is another person's adherence to accounting standards.

However it is all about judgement, estimation, evaluation of evidence. You give me and another accountant the same data I bet we come up with slightly different profit figures. 

Same with the sale of the stadium. Have the risks and rewards of ownership passed from one entity to the other. That is what it says in accounting speak- not that legal completion has happened, that you have the cash in the bank. Contract wise have you sold it.

That is the tricky assessment. It is not black and white. How does the EFL say it more right in that judgement than others. 

I have no idea who is right, can't even make a call on it because I would need the evidence. 

I just dont see the EFL pursuing us and Derby unless it seemed in their eyes that we had clearly done something wrong.

The pessimism in me maybe but contrary to what some believe the EFL do not have it in for us or Derby. We are just 2 of the bigger clubs in their league structure. They only put a case against us if we have broken thd rules and their is evidemce to suggest that.

I have liitle doubt we're in the wrong. It's how much and what mitigation is there in what we believed we had permission to do. 

As previous I just hope any sanctions against us are next season now.

5 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Barnsley co-chairman Paul Conway has hit out at the EFL and clubs including Sheffield Wednesday regarding financial fair play. The Owls were one of the teams namechecked for ‘cheating’. Not being punished for failing to do such things as paying players. (Telegraph)

Wouldn't expect anything less from the Star. None of their senior members of staff replied to the email I sent asking why they ran an article comparing the Corona death toll to the capacity of Hillsborough stadium. 

Yes they actually produced an article around that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pahowl said:

What makes you know we broke the rules ?which rule and why? Thought that was what the  disciplinary commission was deciding , don’t know why they have wasted their time , they should have asked you !  

I was replying to somebody who said IF we are found guilty, I am using this for my response, guilty is guilty punish the offence, I al not saying we are but if we are then dont delay a deduction because it may relegate us, just do it

29 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm sorry but some of the comments in this thread are ridiculous

I'm reading people suggesting the current issues at Sheffield Wednesday are the FANS fault?

WTF?!!!

And it’s the fans who will and are suffering most from all this. 

9 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

He’s looking for any way to keep the Dingles in the championship, but to be honest, the EFL could deduct us 112 points and our six fingered neighbours would still be in league one next season

3 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Wouldn't expect anything less from the Star. None of their senior members of staff replied to the email I sent asking why they ran an article comparing the Corona death toll to the capacity of Hillsborough stadium. 

Yes they actually produced an article around that. 

To be fair, that doesn't sound like a slur aimed at Sheffield Wednesday. It is common media practice to compare numbers with sports' stadia capacities because it is something that people can relate to. 

Typical example:

"To put that in perspective, the number of people affected could fill Wembley Stadium twice"

I see that kind of thing loads of times.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Modfather100 said:

I just dont see the EFL pursuing us and Derby unless it seemed in their eyes that we had clearly done something wrong.

The pessimism in me maybe but contrary to what some believe the EFL do not have it in for us or Derby. We are just 2 of the bigger clubs in their league structure. They only put a case against us if we have broken thd rules and their is evidemce to suggest that.

I have liitle doubt we're in the wrong. It's how much and what mitigation is there in what we believed we had permission to do. 

As previous I just hope any sanctions against us are next season now.

Got to remember the EFL are the clubs not a separate body.

It seems fairly obvious why the EFL have investigated and it's because other clubs have complained that "it's not fair if  we can't afford to do that so why should they"

If member clubs demand investigation then EFL have no choice, I think then only option was to charge us and let independent commission decide if we have done anything wrong or not, as otherwise the clubs not happy about it would be up in arms.

There is a big issue that the game needs an independent governing body and not one at the whims of member club self interest.

Maybe the ground sale trick isn't (or wasn't) in spirit of the rules but that doesn't mean rules have been broken.

Edited by wellbeaten-the-owl
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

true, we always seem to do the opposite and turn half decent players in to shocking ones or pay big money for ones at the end of their career. 😞

Reach is a good example, end of his career, should never have bought him.

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

To be fair, that doesn't sound like a slur aimed at Sheffield Wednesday. It is common media practice to compare numbers with sports' stadia capacities because it is something that people can relate to. 

Typical example:

"To put that in perspective, the number of people affected could fill Wembley Stadium twice"

A large number of people actually died in our stadium though remember....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

Typical example:

Was interesting to analyse they didnt do the same articles when the death toll hit any other local club. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheEnchanter said:

Was interesting to analyse they didnt do the same articles when the death toll hit any other local club. 

Sorry, I may have misunderstood because I haven't seen the article. Was it a general article about COVID-19 that did not really have anything to do with football? Or did it more specifically relate to some aspect of Sheffield Wednesday?

7 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Reach is only 27. To be fair when we bought him he had been doing well well at this level. 

When we bought him he couldn't get in the Middlesborough side, so hows that doing well at this level?