Wembley - 4 Years Ago

6 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think this is match where Carlos Carvahaul showed he wasnt a great manager for us.

Still decent that first season but was more show then substance when it boiled down to it.

Think of the best managers during my time watching Wednesday like Wilkinson, Atkinson and maybe Sturrock all would have had a trick up their sleeves to relax the players before hand rather then having them freeze in the really big game.

agree to an extent. Obviously not in the same league as the likes of Atkinson etc but that season was one of the best we have had in a long time. Some brilliant attacking football. I liked Carlos, had something about him unlike a lot of managers we have had of late (except Bruce). Deserves credit for the following season as well, yes again they bottled it in the play offs but did well to pick the team up after losing to Hull and get us a top 6 team again. With this current set up I fear it will be a long time until we see that sort of thing again. 

3 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

agree to an extent. Obviously not in the same league as the likes of Atkinson etc but that season was one of the best we have had in a long time. Some brilliant attacking football. I liked Carlos, had something about him unlike a lot of managers we have had of late (except Bruce). Deserves credit for the following season as well, yes again they bottled it in the play offs but did well to pick the team up after losing to Hull and get us a top 6 team again. With this current set up I fear it will be a long time until we see that sort of thing again. 

Year one, and reaching Wembley, we definitely overachieved and came up against a much better side in the final Even our semi final opponents Brighton, were a good side The following year, we again did well to reach the play offs with a side that was not discerningly better than the previous years side 

The difference for me was, the quality of the opponents, the likes of Huddersfield and Reading were not comparable to Brighton and Hull. That made going out in the semi finals the bigger disappointment for me

1 hour ago, s63owl said:

I put this on the Owls fans trust survey yesterday, the players that have gone were not replaced with like for like or better.

Wallace was a player who could change a game if plan A was not working, goals against Fulham away in that first season spring to mind.

Hooper was a natural finisher.

Lee (I know he’s still here, but he isn’t the same player) was not replaced with someone of a similar quality

Helan had pace to take the pressure off if you were under pressure (watch the end of the second Brighton leg)

Hunt had pace on the right hand, he wasn’t replaced with similar quality

The last point, which is probably controversial, we don’t have a natural captain. Someone who is the go between “the lads” and “the gaffer” and someone who doesn’t mind if a video of them dancing with no top on ends up on social media. 

Agree with a lot of that, the last point isn't controversial at all and is very important in my opinion and has been referred to by some players and managers since. Semedo and Loovens were almost as important for what they did off the pitch as on it in terms of spirit, cohesion and dressing room morale. 

The difference was the solid spine they had to stifle us and then they would expose our weakness to pace out wide with Robertson and Odubajo. They had a few good chances, what never appears in the highlights is that I am sure we had a decent free kick saved from Wallace early on

The game was on sky the other day - I have to say from being there I thought we played a lot better but watching back the highlight Westwood had a brilliant day and Hull where not a great side but Bruce had packed them with experienced performers.

Ultimately this is probably what cost us as the team just didn't turn up that day, but the fans did and probably created one of the greatest atmosphere I have ever had at a game, when we were bouncing the stand was with us too and the Hull fans were awful, didn't sell their allocation out and most looked like they had been forced to go.

11 minutes ago, Steelman said:

Ancient history and meaningless. 

Embarassing bringing it up again.

We failed. The Fraud and the players failed to turn up and bottled it. Unlike the fans.

Some things never change.

How is it embarrassing ? So the last 20 years have been ok then ? 

2 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

How is it embarrassing ? So the last 20 years have been ok then ? 

They've been as embarassing as that capitulation.

That "day out" does not equate to any form of success or achievement. The sooner people see that, the better.

3 minutes ago, Steelman said:

That "day out" does not equate to any form of success or achievement. The sooner people see that, the better.

I don't think any of us are saying that and everyone who went or watched that day knew we didn't turn up. Calm your jets mate 

7 minutes ago, Steelman said:

Getting to a championship play off final , 90 minutes from the premier is a massive improvement on what we have witnessed , I don’t look back on that day as an embarrassment more  disappointment but the day out was better than sat at home not being involved . How we beat Brighton over 2 legs in my eyes was a fantastic achievement .

I remember at half time thinking we needed to change something but it was difficult to think what as they seemed to have our number. It was the example of how that team when on it was excellent but also fairly toothless if a couple had an off day. Sometimes less talented players who have that physical presence or a bit of pace just make it a bit more awkward. We saw a bit of that when Nuhiu came on, I think it was the first time they had to deal with our strikers

43 minutes ago, Steelman said:

Ancient history and meaningless. 

Embarassing bringing it up again.

We failed. The Fraud and the players failed to turn up and bottled it. Unlike the fans.

Some things never change.

Produced a performance that was a shadow of what we showed to be capable of that season and it was very disappointing. We were beaten by an experienced manager who had a more experienced and better balanced team. 

The season overall was a success and at the time a clear sign of moving in the right direction having only finished in the top 10 at this level once in the previous 16 years. 

Unless in the summer of 2015 you had as down as clear promotion contenders and anything less would be failure?

Couldn't put 2 passes together all game, Lopez should have started instead of Hutchinson. I would have personally have dropped Wallace which would have been tough considering his goals against Brighton, put Bannan on the right, Forestieri on the left and Nuhiu up top with Hooper.

2 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

The difference was the solid spine they had to stifle us and then they would expose our weakness to pace out wide with Robertson and Odubajo. They had a few good chances, what never appears in the highlights is that I am sure we had a decent free kick saved from Wallace early on

Odubajo.... the same odubajo we have now??