Wembley - 4 Years Ago

When you look at what got us there - we had the excitement, good style of play, a charismatic attacking manager and a fanbase that pushed them on - the wind was with us all the way.

I don’t see any of the above at the club now - from top to bottom. I started to believe again in Bruce but Monk? I just can’t see how he can kickstart a revolution like Carlos did once we get going again.

Apart from the football was a great day. The football was pathetic, players didn’t turn up. However the rest of the season before that was one of the best i can remember, players that could excite you, players that got stuck in. We are the complete opposite of that now. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

7 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Apart from the football was a great day. The football was pathetic, players didn’t turn up. However the rest of the season before that was one of the best i can remember, players that could excite you, players that got stuck in. We are the complete opposite of that now. 

Yet the players of that season, 6 of 11 of the starting line up are still at the club. 

Of the team that started the final 5 were Gray signings (Helan coming on made 6), Hunt and Pudil on Loan and Fessi and Hooper signed on permanents and Bannan and Wallace were free. 

How did we manage to waste so much money on poor recruitment after assembling that team of free agents, loans and just 2 signings costing fees.

The players were well trained having had Gray get them fit and playing well, Carlos came in and we added some flair in the wing backs and the attacking players mentioned things started to go wrong when Carlos was allowed to have preseason that did not consist of getting players fit and paxo had us signing every rubbish player that he managed. 

Was a very expensive weekend, which started on Thursday in Dubai which took in the darts out there, then get the 1am flight back to Heathrow via Brunei Airlines, I was shaking like a pooing dog due to alcohol withdrawal symptoms!. In at 6 ish to my mates, wash and change of Clothes and straight back on it. Drink even more watch the match drown my sorrows and all up part with about £2000. Would I do it again oh yes 

31 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

We didn’t turn up no, but we were huge underdogs that day, despite the support

13 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Yet the players of that season, 6 of 11 of the starting line up are still at the club. 

Of the team that started the final 5 were Gray signings (Helan coming on made 6), Hunt and Pudil on Loan and Fessi and Hooper signed on permanents and Bannan and Wallace were free. 

How did we manage to waste so much money on poor recruitment after assembling that team of free agents, loans and just 2 signings costing fees.

The players were well trained having had Gray get them fit and playing well, Carlos came in and we added some flair in the wing backs and the attacking players mentioned things started to go wrong when Carlos was allowed to have preseason that did not consist of getting players fit and paxo had us signing every rubbish player that he managed. 

I put this on the Owls fans trust survey yesterday, the players that have gone were not replaced with like for like or better.

Wallace was a player who could change a game if plan A was not working, goals against Fulham away in that first season spring to mind.

Hooper was a natural finisher.

Lee (I know he’s still here, but he isn’t the same player) was not replaced with someone of a similar quality

Helan had pace to take the pressure off if you were under pressure (watch the end of the second Brighton leg)

Hunt had pace on the right hand, he wasn’t replaced with similar quality

The last point, which is probably controversial, we don’t have a natural captain. Someone who is the go between “the lads” and “the gaffer” and someone who doesn’t mind if a video of them dancing with no top on ends up on social media. 

2 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

When you look at what got us there - we had the excitement, good style of play, a charismatic attacking manager and a fanbase that pushed them on - the wind was with us all the way.

I don’t see any of the above at the club now - from top to bottom. I started to believe again in Bruce but Monk? I just can’t see how he can kickstart a revolution like Carlos did once we get going again.

Despite all that we struggled with a more physical and “boring” team. If we get there again I hope we have learned from that 

Never seen any highlights from it. 

Memory of the Hull goal is that it seemed to happen in slow motion. We were pretty much in line with it and I had time to say "that's a goal" before the net billowed.

Very disappointing performance, but having said that in the car on the way down I'd forecast a 3-1 defeat, and I didn't know anyone who expected us to do it. Hull were more physical, but it was far from just that: they were clearly a much more talented set of players, much more expensively assembled, and some way more experienced. If both teams were near their best, it was clear we'd need a lot of luck to get it over the line. Sadly, we didn't really tun up.

But I suspect for most people the memories really are of a day out with friends or family (for me the kids, poignantly because I knew later that year the older one would be heading off to Uni). Football results don't really matter very much in the grand scheme

2 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

Never seen any highlights from it. 

Memory of the Hull goal is that it seemed to happen in slow motion. We were pretty much in line with it and I had time to say "that's a goal" before the net billowed.

Very disappointing performance, but having said that in the car on the way down I'd forecast a 3-1 defeat, and I didn't know anyone who expected us to do it. Hull were more physical, but it was far from just that: they were clearly a much more talented set of players, much more expensively assembled, and some way more experienced. If both teams were near their best, it was clear we'd need a lot of luck to get it over the line. Sadly, we didn't really tun up.

But I suspect for most people the memories really are of a day out with friends or family (for me the kids, poignantly because I knew later that year the older one would be heading off to Uni). Football results don't really matter very much in the grand scheme

Pretty much sums it up

Think this is match where Carlos Carvahaul showed he wasnt a great manager for us.

Still decent that first season but was more show then substance when it boiled down to it.

Think of the best managers during my time watching Wednesday like Wilkinson, Atkinson and maybe Sturrock all would have had a trick up their sleeves to relax the players before hand rather then having them freeze in the really big game.