Where did it all go wrong for George Hirst at Sheffield Wednesday?

Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 10.38.43.jpg

Examiner writer Elliott Jackson takes a look at how it all unfolded for George Hirst at Sheffield Wednesday..

George Hirst's departure from Sheffield Wednesday left a sour taste in the mouth of many fans

The striker left Hillsborough in 2018 to join Leuven before moving to Leicester City last summer

Almost two years have passed since the striker left the Owls in acrimonious circumstances following a lengthy contract dispute with the Championship club.

Hirst looked to be one of their brightest prospects, banging in 40 goals in 2017 for the youth development sides.

Hirst even followed in the footsteps of his dad, David, by making his Sheffield Wednesday first-team debut in the Championship away at Reading in the 16/17 campaign.

However, lurking in the background were noises of discontent from Hirst's representatives, as negotiations over a new long-term contract hit the buffers....

Full article here 👉https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/george-hirst-sheffield-wednesday-departure-17993247

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

Always had a feeling he would never live up to the hype.

I know he left under a bit of a cloud but sorry he hasn't made his mark elsewhere.

Well, he is possibly the best striker in Premier League 2 playing great for team that is 2'nd in the league infront of sides like Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal... and getting very favorable reviews.

After his episode with us, sitting most of the season out and not allowed to train at the club I don't think he was in mental or physical shape to do well at foreign club, although admitably at poor level.

I still think he has great chance of "making it" and that his move to Leicester will help his career.

13 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I know he left under a bit of a cloud but sorry he hasn't made his mark elsewhere.

Not read the article but he's doing very well at Leicester.

He's scoring goals for their U23's playing against teams of a higher quality than he would if he was still playing for our development squad.

He's getting lots of plaudits from their coaching staff and is highly thought of there.

Will also be on a lot more money than he would be at Wednesday so I don't know how it can be said it's not worked out for him.

Edited by Tommy Crawshaw

11 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

He's got plenty of time to make his mark in the game.

The perfect example of that is already at Leicester, he's called Jamie Vardy.

In fairness, if it’s true that he wanted a first team wage then the club were correct in turning down his demands. Had they given in to his demands then you’d have had half the first team squad banging on the chairman’s door wanting a pay rise.

Whether or not he goes on to be a huge success is anyone’s guess, he’s done “ok” at Leicester but was crap in Belgium. 

A story that doesn't reflect well on our chairman, who lacks business experience, and seems to be a poor decision maker.

Quite right not to concede Hirst's wage demands. Given Hirst's sense of what he could achieve, he needed to be at a big club.

But that should have been followed by a quick decision to cash in, rather than creating a lose:lose face-off.  

Not being allowed to be involved in respective playing squads for the best part of a season was a crazy decision and let’s be honest we were paying him to do nothing and the lad lost some crucial development time?  Could you imagine the uproar if the Chairman had made the same decision with regards to Fletcher this season? Regardless of who was right and who was wrong, not allowing the lad to play football was a terrible decision?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

32 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

Like most footballers came down to greed 

Fans perspective:

If player wants to leave, but club wants to keep him he is a greedy ba5tard no matter what.

If player wants to stay and club wants to kick him out like a piece of old poo then it is ok.

11 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Not being allowed to be involved in respective playing squads for the best part of a season was a crazy decision and let’s be honest we were paying him to do nothing and the lad lost some crucial development time?  Could you imagine the uproar if the Chairman had made the same decision with regards to Fletcher this season? Regardless of who was right and who was wrong, not allowing the lad to play football was a terrible decision?

It was complete madness.

Really, the only two questions that need to be asked are "what are you trying to achieve?" and "how are you trying to achieve it?" I can't begin to fathom how Chansiri would answer such questions in many cases, including this one.

Can somebody tell me when Leicester allegedly made the £2 million bid? I thought it was before the sh!t storm but the article makes out like it happened during?

I understand Hirst's head was turned, he wanted big money and his agent had us on strings, but freezing the lad out completely has had major consequences for the club's reputation, especially when we are up against a dozen clubs for the signatures of good local talent.

I can give you an example, a mates son had offers on the table from all the local clubs and one of the main reasons my mate didn't even entertain SWFC was because of this.  How many others will do the same?

Oh, and he decided to sign for the pigs in the end.

1 hour ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Or Hutchinson, or Westwood