Where did it all go wrong for George Hirst at Sheffield Wednesday?

18 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Apart from the multiple times when it has? Urhoghide, Hunt, Stobbs, Clare, Penney, Dawson, Kirby, Wildsmith, Hirst, O’Grady, Thorniley, Preston all got game time in recent seasons. I think the problem is we are either too close to the bottom of the league or on a rare occasion pushing for promotion and it’s not really a learning environment in that kind of pressure. 

If we did end up in league one i wonder how many would be in our first team. Ipswich seem to be bringing a few through as do Sunderland 

Hence my use of the word sustained 

59 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Of course the intention is to play him in the first team , it’s up to George to prove he’s good enough . All I know is he supports Wednesday , chose Wednesday, his Dad was the best striker ever to play for us that I’ve seen , so the potential was there ,picked for England regular , scored goals for fun . Let’s see if he emulates the other Wednesday fan  at Leicester ,I really hope he does . 

he is doing nothing at Leicester ,half of time is only a sub for u23s ,don't think he has scored many either for there u23s . he is a typical young player money and fame goes to there head and drive and workrate drops. 

36 minutes ago, camffiti said:

Hence my use of the word sustained 

That was a different post. Didn’t see that one. The ones who impress enough do get a reasonable chance and are planned for ie Dawson, Penney, Beevers, Wood, Spurr etc will possibly see this with Hunt.

If anyone was going to get a chance it was the son of Hirst 

55 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

Which of these players we have not given a chance to have gone on to play at an higher level.

And don't say vardy it's been done to death

We are graveyard of young talent. Luhukay aside no one gave youngsters chance here. Though I hope that trend is changing with Monk including Urhoghide and Hunt in the first team squad, although in my opinion they are not pick of talent from our U-23 squad. There is a good reason why AFC Wimbledon released Urhoghide last season.

It is a travesty that player as talented as Matt Penney at 22 made only 16 appearances for us.

Chansiri refusing to cover wages of players going out on loan goes long way to prove this, although from what I hear it changed this season (hope I heard right).

Just now, handworth52 said:

he is doing nothing at Leicester ,half of time is only a sub for u23s ,don't think he has scored many either for there u23s . he is a typical young player money and fame goes to there head and drive and workrate drops. 

hes there top scorer  with 14 in 21 apps ……. 

1 hour ago, handworth52 said:

Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 21.06.32.jpg

Owlstalk Shop

The whole situation was a total c0ck up on our part.

Totally unprofessional how this kid was demonised by the club’s hierarch for not signing a new contract and essentially forced out of the club he’s supported his whole life.

And anyone that thinks it’s ok for Chansiri to be getting involved on who plays and who is ‘frozen out’ is part of the problem.

1 minute ago, Westfield Owl said:

Totally unprofessional how this kid was demonised by the club’s hierarch for not signing a new contract and essentially forced out of the club he’s supported his whole life.

He's demonised by our fans more

Owlstalk Shop

10 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

The whole situation was a total c0ck up on our part.

And anyone that thinks it’s ok for Chansiri to be getting involved on who plays and who is ‘frozen out’ is part of the problem.

How much do you think we should have paid a lad who 2 years after moving on from us is still yet to make a 1st team appearance at a decent level?

38 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

This thread reads like a thread for people to post about the girlfriend how jilted them and ran off with their best mate

Some proper salty tears being shed

lol

He was sh*t anyway post-445-0-54815300-1404305062.png

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

How much do you think we should have paid a lad who 2 years after moving on from us is still yet to make a 1st team appearance at a decent level?

that's impossible to answer …...you make him an offer and if he doesn't accept you try to sell him would be the usual way to go .

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

that's impossible to answer …...you make him an offer and if he doesn't accept you try to sell him would be the usual way to go .

I agree, as was said earlier the mistake was made in not selling him for £2M when the offer was on the table but once that was rejected it seems he didn't accept what we offered and engineered a way out.

4 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Hirst played for our first team at a young age.

I’d say the Championship and League Cup are a decent level.  Wouldn’t you?

Leicester offered us £2 million quid for Hirst before the club’s relationship with the player had turned sour.

If the club didn’t think he was worth the salary GH was wanting, I totally understand the club not agreeing to pay him more than he is worth.

I mean, that type of thing must happen with many players at different clubs up and down the country.  It will be a very common occurrence in the football world.

It makes us look totally incompetent that the club turned down a £2 million quid transfer fee, for a player that ended up leaving for next to nothing 2 years later.

Yes I know it’s easy to shrug it off as ‘only’ £2 million.  But we’ve been in multiple transfer embargoes over the last few years because of poor financial management of the club.

Bullsh*t like this is part of the reason why we are in such a mess off the field and on it.

Also, Hirst being cheeky and asking for a raise in salary, doesn’t justify freezing the player out of the squad, just to save our stupid chairman’s pride.