Where did it all go wrong for George Hirst at Sheffield Wednesday?

8 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I agree, as was said earlier the mistake was made in not selling him for £2M when the offer was on the table but once that was rejected it seems he didn't accept what we offered and engineered a way out.

He did, or Leicester City did? Who knows the real answer to that one?

My point is that there may have been a problem between Chansiri and Leicester City's owner and when Leicester's offer was rebuffed then they may have felt insulted and colluded with Hirst's advisors to make the move happen and put one over on Chansiri. Given that Leicester's owners also own Leuven I'd say it's an odds on bet. As a young lad of 17 or 18 one would hardly expect Hirst himself to be pulling the strings on this. Also factor in Hirst senior's well publicised spat with the club and this has all the hallmarks of several parties getting their own back on Chansiri.

Chansiri may claim to be a businessman, but he clearly isn't. He is a fool (although I'll concede probably a well meaning one) and as the old adage goes a fool and his money are soon parted, hence our disastrous financial situation.

Guest Mcguigan
9 hours ago, torryowl said:

hes there top scorer  with 14 in 21 apps ……. 

He really shouldn't be in any clubs u23 squad when he's 22 next birthday. He should be playing first team football somewhere.

The Championship is awash with teenagers who've made double figure first team appearances this season. At Hirst's age and having been in the academy system since he was 8, he should be well above u23 level by now.

16 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

His Dad has his own son's best interests at heart and I'm afraid loyalty doesn't come into it when he can be financially secure by the time he's 25

Sounds as if he’ll soon be playing for Barnard Castle First XI

5 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

Hirst played for our first team at a young age.

I’d say the Championship and League Cup are a decent level.  Wouldn’t you?

Leicester offered us £2 million quid for Hirst before the club’s relationship with the player had turned sour.

If the club didn’t think he was worth the salary GH was wanting, I totally understand the club not agreeing to pay him more than he is worth.

I mean, that type of thing must happen with many players at different clubs up and down the country.  It will be a very common occurrence in the football world.

It makes us look totally incompetent that the club turned down a £2 million quid transfer fee, for a player that ended up leaving for next to nothing 2 years later.

Yes I know it’s easy to shrug it off as ‘only’ £2 million.  But we’ve been in multiple transfer embargoes over the last few years because of poor financial management of the club.

Bullsh*t like this is part of the reason why we are in such a mess off the field and on it.

Also, Hirst being cheeky and asking for a raise in salary, doesn’t justify freezing the player out of the squad, just to save our stupid chairman’s pride.

We turned down 2m because we believed we could secure more via tribunal. But then he moved to Belgium to get around that...

Agree we shouldn’t have frozen him out though as if he was playing his tribunal fee would be greater.

Edited by Bluesteel

36 minutes ago, torryowl said:

What is it ?.....

How could I know ?! But they had time to take a bloody good look at him.

From what I've seen of him for our U-23's he looked nowhere near ready for first team football. There are players in that squad that look more capable of performing at first team level.

3 minutes ago, malek said:

Sure, but since this is a football forum it should be ok to voice it here.

Not disputing that - I watched the U23s a couple of times and George Hirst was head and shoulders above the rest when it came to standing out and his level of performance. The rest were not even on the same planet. Penney was also very capable.

@bladeshater is a very regular U23 watcher and I know he was of the same opinion

1 minute ago, soldierboyblue said:

Not disputing that - I watched the U23s a couple of times and George Hirst was head and shoulders above the rest when it came to standing out and his level of performance. The rest were not even on the same planet. Penney was also very capable.

@bladeshater is a very regular U23 watcher and I know he was of the same opinion

If George hirst had pace he would be playing first team football already his lack of it holds him back

Just now, bladeshater said:

If George hirst had pace he would be playing first team football already his lack of it holds him back

From the couple of games I saw that was the only thing missing from his 'all round game'. He is big strong and puts himself about but as you say that killer pace is lacking

2 hours ago, Mcguigan said:

He really shouldn't be in any clubs u23 squad when he's 22 next birthday. He should be playing first team football somewhere.

The Championship is awash with teenagers who've made double figure first team appearances this season. At Hirst's age and having been in the academy system since he was 8, he should be well above u23 level by now.

He had a season of not playing at all, then another season of hardly playing in Belgium, so of course  he will be behind in his development. 

This is his first season with Leicester so not surprising if they wanted him to have a season in their PL2 team.

I suspect next season he will be loaned out to an EFL team to gain experience, as they did with Barnes, Chilwell and Choudhury.

13 hours ago, torryowl said:

hes there top scorer  with 14 in 21 apps ……. 

Well I don’t think any of ours were anywhere near double figures With all our strikers 30+ or nearing, we could have done with young Hirst, it’s called succession planning

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Well I don’t think any of ours were anywhere near double figures With all our strikers 30+ or nearing, we could have done with young Hirst, it’s called succession planning

Planning .....at this club !!!!

Guest ka58
5 hours ago, Mcguigan said:

totally agree - the collapse of reserve team football has kept players back for decades.

lads at 22 shouldn’t be kicking balls about with other 22 years olds they should be playing with and against experienced players.

19 hours ago, camffiti said:

Maybe, but this club, from top to bottom, doesn't have a culture of giving youth a chance 

Apart from the mid 70's to the mid 80's, it has never had any interest in developing it's own players, in my 50+ years of watching them.

Steve Burtenshaw  set up the Youth development process that led to Taylor, Smith, Sterland, Shirtliffe, Pearson, Bolder etc coming through to the Wed's 1st team, sadly Wilkinson scrapped it to concentrate on the 1st team, sad because the 1st thing he did when he joined Leeds was to implement a Youth development system

As a by word, Burtenshaw went on to build the Arsenal production line of young players.

9 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

He did, or Leicester City did? Who knows the real answer to that one?

My point is that there may have been a problem between Chansiri and Leicester City's owner and when Leicester's offer was rebuffed then they may have felt insulted and colluded with Hirst's advisors to make the move happen and put one over on Chansiri. Given that Leicester's owners also own Leuven I'd say it's an odds on bet. As a young lad of 17 or 18 one would hardly expect Hirst himself to be pulling the strings on this. Also factor in Hirst senior's well publicised spat with the club and this has all the hallmarks of several parties getting their own back on Chansiri.

Chansiri may claim to be a businessman, but he clearly isn't. He is a fool (although I'll concede probably a well meaning one) and as the old adage goes a fool and his money are soon parted, hence our disastrous financial situation.

Or maybe DEH calculated that more $pondulix long term would come from baby Hirst divi v Club ambassadorial role.