Where did it all go wrong for George Hirst at Sheffield Wednesday?

Guest LondonOwl313

We have a bizarre way of dealing with players and I don't know whether that comes from Chansiri or from the managers. I don't see a point in excluding players completely when they still might perform. After all they still have personal pride or failing that they need to get in the shop window so have to try. And if they don't try you don't have to play them.. but no point leaving them out completely.

In this case it was pretty clear in the August of his last season that he wasn't going to stay as he/his advisors pretty much told them that, or so it was reported. So we should have milked Leicester for as much as we could at that point rather than leaving him to rot and then releasing on a free. Ridiculous

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 10.38.43.jpg

Examiner writer Elliott Jackson takes a look at how it all unfolded for George Hirst at Sheffield Wednesday..

George Hirst's departure from Sheffield Wednesday left a sour taste in the mouth of many fans

The striker left Hillsborough in 2018 to join Leuven before moving to Leicester City last summer

Almost two years have passed since the striker left the Owls in acrimonious circumstances following a lengthy contract dispute with the Championship club.

Hirst looked to be one of their brightest prospects, banging in 40 goals in 2017 for the youth development sides.

Hirst even followed in the footsteps of his dad, David, by making his Sheffield Wednesday first-team debut in the Championship away at Reading in the 16/17 campaign.

However, lurking in the background were noises of discontent from Hirst's representatives, as negotiations over a new long-term contract hit the buffers....

Full article here 👉https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/george-hirst-sheffield-wednesday-departure-17993247

Poor advise from his agents and his dad.

Out of interest, how is he doing at Leicester?.

It went wrong for him when his representatives tried to break the wage structure here and then shafted us.

He would have played championship football for us had he stayed and he could’ve have earned his move whilst being remembered fondly. 

Interestingly we were due a friendly with Leicester which will probably be part of the making amends process 

Edited by Bluesteel

Guest Mcguigan
2 hours ago, Danish said:

He's got plenty of time to make his mark in the game.

The perfect example of that is already at Leicester, he's called Jamie Vardy.

Plenty of examples as well of 21 y/o strikers already making a name for themselves in the Championship and the Premier League.

He’ll end up some where like MK Dons or Bradford City.

32 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Poor advise from his agents and his dad.

Out of interest, how is he doing at Leicester?.

As I said in my earlier post, he's doing well in Leicester's U23's/PL2 team. Banging in the goals against other EPL teams development squads. Several man of the match performances, nominated for PL2 player of the month several times.

James Scowcroft said recently after Hirst's MOM display in their win at Southampton U23's.

“Hirst battled away up there alone all night and scored the all important penalty. He’s been impressive, led the line very well and in and around the box he’s very sharp. When most forwards would look to cross, he’s got that mentality to try and find the bottom corner. Leicester have got a very good no.9 in their ranks in George Hirst.”

"Poor advise from his agents and his dad"

Hmm... right now they probably think they did the right thing, doing well at a top EPL club or turning out for a struggling championship club's U23's!

Edited by Tommy Crawshaw

The lad had the decision made for him to leave Hillsborough, simple as that really

Soon as the people who deal with his career knew of Leicester’s interest, engineering that move was the only thing that was going down 

Did Chansiri ban him from playing ? More than likely, but it was made very clear that GH was going and the club wasn’t going to see a good deal out of it  

Should have taken whatever pittance Leicester offered, and am sure the chairman regrets not doing so , had he known what he knows now I’m fairly sure he would have taken the money 

3 hours ago, malek said:

I still think he has great chance of "making it" and that his move to Leicester will help his career.

The issue wasn't around his move it was how it was manufactured - we all knew he would end up there but the sour taste for most is the circumventing of the transfer fee by playing for what is in effect a 'feeder club'

3 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

His Dad has his own son's best interests at heart and I'm afraid loyalty doesn't come into it when he can be financially secure by the time he's 25

I do see that side of it, genuinely do , but theres still a right and a wrong way of going about it and you can’t ignore the fact someone has been made out to be a villain

and it most certainly isn’t anyone with the surname ‘Hirst’ 

Wanted a pay rise - club excludes him from all squads and leaves on a free - greedy, rubbish, would never have made it anyway.

First team player refuses to play for club unless he gets a pay rise 1 year into his contract - legend, indispensable etc

1 minute ago, 83owl said:

Wanted a pay rise - club excludes him from all squads and leaves on a free - greedy, rubbish, would never have made it anyway.

First team player refuses to play for club unless he gets a pay rise 1 year into his contract - legend, indispensable etc

See what point ur trying to make, but he wasn’t excluded because he wanted a pay rise , he was offered a pay rise on a serious level 

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

It went wrong for him when his representatives tried to break the wage structure here and then shafted us.

To break the wage structure ?! We were told that he turned down offer to make him best paid player in our U-23 side. How much would that be ? 500 a week ? 700 ? I guess that Leicester are paying him at least ten times that.

He would have played championship football for us had he stayed and he could’ve have earned his move whilst being remembered fondly. 

He would play Championship football for us ?! If I remember correctly, we had 6 strikers at the club and then we brought in Winnall and Rhodes. In pre season before he refused to sign new deal we didn't even issued him with a squad number or took him on pre season tour. Yep, he had great chance of first team football at a club known for giving chance and developing young players.

In the end, why would he sign with us for much lower wages compared to what he could earn elsewhere and with no first team football in sight ?! It is like people want him to put his loyalty to the club before his career, some that 99% of players would refuse to do given choice.

10 minutes ago, malek said:

To break the wage structure ?! We were told that he turned down offer to make him best paid player in our U-23 side. How much would that be ? 500 a week ? 700 ? I guess that Leicester are paying him at least ten times that

Which is why football is hopelessly broken

Playing in the championship regularly trumps playing for Leicesters academy at 21 years old surely, and his last season with us was a write off and Belgian Sunday league can't have helped his development all that much.

If he makes it as a top player I think he's done it the hard way

50 minutes ago, malek said:

To break the wage structure ?! We were told that he turned down offer to make him best paid player in our U-23 side. How much would that be ? 500 a week ? 700 ? I guess that Leicester are paying him at least ten times that.

He would play Championship football for us ?! If I remember correctly, we had 6 strikers at the club and then we brought in Winnall and Rhodes. In pre season before he refused to sign new deal we didn't even issued him with a squad number or took him on pre season tour. Yep, he had great chance of first team football at a club known for giving chance and developing young players.

In the end, why would he sign with us for much lower wages compared to what he could earn elsewhere and with no first team football in sight ?! It is like people want him to put his loyalty to the club before his career, some that 99% of players would refuse to do given choice.

Malek, you know your youth team stuff but you don’t need to fight their corner needlessly. In fact your last point on how much he is being paid at Leicester is exactly the point.

Hirst reportedly wanted premier league money. We said we could not pay him money like 10k a week for example and make him wealthier than say Liam Palmer at that stage in his career given he hasn’t played first team football bar the odd sub. So we offered him what was in line at Swfc ie the best in his peer group.

That wasn’t enough so he wouldn’t sign. I guess both parties are at fault following the Leicester bid. But to make the move abroad, was a low blow given that he could’ve just gone to Leicester, got his money and had the club compensated.

The six strikers that you refer to. The season after he refused to sign Norwich had rhodes, Winnall, Forestieri, Hooper, Fletcher were all injured for large parts and Jack Stobbs Matt Penney and Shaun Clare we’re getting a game.

The younger players didn’t get a game under Carlos but other than that spell we have brought a fair few young players through over the years. How many have gone on to better things though? Hirst would have got a game under Luhukay 

Edited by Bluesteel

48 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Playing in the championship regularly trumps playing for Leicesters academy at 21 years old surely, and his last season with us was a write off and Belgian Sunday league can't have helped his development all that much.

If he makes it as a top player I think he's done it the hard way

I agree and unless you are a superstar at an early age this is the normal way of things now

1 hour ago, malek said:

Not sure what he was asking here @casbahowl @bladeshater might have a view but I believe he was wanting somewhere near £10k a week.

27 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

I agree and unless you are a superstar at an early age this is the normal way of things now

Not sure what he was asking here @casbahowl @bladeshater might have a view but I believe he was wanting somewhere near £10k a week.

That's the figure I was told from someone close to Mr hirst snr Georges team were always holding the cards during the last few months of his contract