Sheffield Wednesday Right Back

I didn’t start going until 2001 so I can’t really comment. But I always found Buxton was a solid defender and created a few chances. He’d look even better with the likes of Hector, Lees and Loovens at his side. I think Kieran Lee would be solid in that position IMO

3 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Not saying he was great but played 216 games for us in the Prem.. the others don’t come anywhere close to that so he has to get the vote 

Agree with this. Atherton for me too.

Not sure I’d compare Mel and Roland Nilsson,  Roly was far far better as an out and out right back but Mel had other things to his game 

Both legends for me 

Atherton was no more than average, Simek could have been special and I’ve always said Lewis Buxton was vastly underrated, In terms of consistent performances I’d say Buxton is the best right back we’ve had since roly but you would be hard pushed to find a player in the championship with anywhere near the class Nilsson had 

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Petrescu but I actually preferred him in midfield. Frankie Simek was the best but ruined by injury.

Guest ka58
On 25/05/2020 at 00:15, Ian said:

Sterland was not even close to being in the same bracket as Nilsson

No - sterland was miles better youre right.

21 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Peter Atherton was garbage ! 

Petrescu was class clinically underused.

Think had it not been for injuries Simek would have followed Brunt and Whelan to the premiership and had a decent career there, was class for us before his injury. 

Rb is a position we need to strengthen this summer get rid of Liam Palmer please !!!

petrescu made 41 appearances in around a year for us...not sure you could say that’s underused to be fair. 

8 hours ago, ka58 said:

No - sterland was miles better youre right.

And there goes the award for the most stupid post ever on Owlstalk

Mel Sterland, not only better, but miles better, than Roland Nilsson...….take your meds please

Some pretty harsh assessments of Atherton in this thread. He was a good steady defender with a bit of steel and was reliable. Perhaps his versatility as defender is overlooked because I seem to remember he often filled in competently at centre back even though he lacked the height to be a natural centre half. Limited by a lack of pace and use of the ball in possession. Unfortunately for him he followed on as right back from two of the best in the last 50 years.

Sterland and Nilsson were the standout right backs in my time watching Wednesday. Nilsson the best out and out defender, but Sterland had everything, he could defend, attack , score goals, he was a leader and had the heart of a lion. 

Atherton did the simple things well with minimum fuss, got on with the job and kept his head down. When you think of the quality of players he was facing week in week out (Ginola, Giggs, McManaman et al) it's hard to compare him to other right backs who followed in his footsteps in later years. I can't remember him being taken to the cleaners on too many occasions but there again my mind might be failing me. He was a product of his time; full backs didn't bomb forward quite so much and were more focused on the defensive side of the game.

Thinking about it now when I first started playing a lot of football in the late nineties I was probably more influenced by watching Peter Atherton then I realised: I just wanted to win the ball then get rid if it as quickly as possible and had a major nose bleed on the rare occasions where I wandered over the halfway line. 

Petrescu was is the obvious aire to the right back throne and Frankie Simek could have established himself barring injuries. I thought Steve Watson's name might have cropped up in this thread by now, his best years may well have been behind him when he joined us but he was still in great condition, exuded class and could use his knowledge and experience to deal with anything that the championship could throw at him. 

Guest ka58
3 hours ago, Ian said:

And there goes the award for the most stupid post ever on Owlstalk

Mel Sterland, not only better, but miles better, than Roland Nilsson...….take your meds please

Your opinion.

Guest ka58
3 hours ago, oldowl67 said:

Sterland and Nilsson were the standout right backs in my time watching Wednesday. Nilsson the best out and out defender, but Sterland had everything, he could defend, attack , score goals, he was a leader and had the heart of a lion. 

sterland scored nearly 50 goals for Wednesday, played for England, won the league with Leeds etc.

nilsson was a great player but every year that passes gets shifted up another level to the point where someone was saying he was the best right back in the world whilst playing for us which obviously isn’t the case.

if I had to pick either for my best 11 it would be sterland.

2 hours ago, ka58 said:

sterland scored nearly 50 goals for Wednesday, played for England, won the league with Leeds etc.

nilsson was a great player but every year that passes gets shifted up another level to the point where someone was saying he was the best right back in the world whilst playing for us which obviously isn’t the case.

if I had to pick either for my best 11 it would be sterland.

Someone was saying Nilsson was the best right back in the world because he was....and it wasn't just folk on Owlstalk that were saying that.

Without wanting to decry Sterland because he would be in a lot of people's top 3, he played 1 game for England, against Saudi Arabia, when his main competitor for the shirt was Mike f. ckin Duxbury! 

Edited by Ian