Sheffield Wednesday Right Back

15 minutes ago, striker said:

Me too, always thought Simek was a good player for us. 

Went downhill quickly though, injury as I recall?

It's a tough ask to compare to Roland though, none since even come close. In fact, going back would only put Mel Sterland in the same bracket as Nilsson.

Sterland was not even close to being in the same bracket as Nilsson

Guest LondonOwl313

For me I’d give it to Peter Atherton. Not the best player going but steady mostly.. consistently played for 3-4 years at premier league level and didn’t miss many games. After we got relegated there’s nobody of note until Simek, then Buxton, then Hunt. Pretty much everyone else who has played there was garbage (unless I’m missing anyone obvious off the top of my head). Given those 3 never played at the highest level, and that Simek was only good for a year or so before being injured and Buxton was steady in a lower end Championship kind of way, the stand out is Atherton.

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Not sure about Petrescu, seemed more like a wing back playing at being a full back Very creative, but didn’t convince me defensively

I agree with this.

Petrescu was technically a superb player and when he played at wing back he was a class above anything else on the pitch.

But on a flat back 4 he was a bit suspect defensively.

9 hours ago, Ian said:

Steve Nicol and his 5 league titles, 3 FA Cups and a European Cup might disagree

He might but he wasn't the best right back for Sheffield Wednesday. Might have been if he came years earlier, not at the end of his career... In my opinion. 

8 hours ago, Ian said:

To me as a young boy in the early 80's he was.

Added to, the classic Bukta kit and magnificent curly mullet, he was god like to me as a 5 year old fan, marauding down the wing. 

That said, Nilsson the best RB I've had the pleasure to watch (but Mel second)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

For me I’d give it to Peter Atherton. Not the best player going but steady mostly.. consistently played for 3-4 years at premier league level and didn’t miss many games. After we got relegated there’s nobody of note until Simek, then Buxton, then Hunt. Pretty much everyone else who has played there was garbage (unless I’m missing anyone obvious off the top of my head). Given those 3 never played at the highest level, and that Simek was only good for a year or so before being injured and Buxton was steady in a lower end Championship kind of way, the stand out is Atherton.

Peter Atherton was garbage ! 

Petrescu was class clinically underused.

Think had it not been for injuries Simek would have followed Brunt and Whelan to the premiership and had a decent career there, was class for us before his injury. 

Rb is a position we need to strengthen this summer get rid of Liam Palmer please !!!

8 hours ago, Ian said:

different type of players one was cool headed and  took the ball off the winger the other wiped them out and played with his heart  ….I preferred mel's way as he was perfect for the way I like to see a team play .

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Peter Atherton was garbage ! 

Petrescu was class clinically underused.

Think had it not been for injuries Simek would have followed Brunt and Whelan to the premiership and had a decent career there, was class for us before his injury. 

Rb is a position we need to strengthen this summer get rid of Liam Palmer please !!!

Not saying he was great but played 216 games for us in the Prem.. the others don’t come anywhere close to that so he has to get the vote