Sheffield Wednesday Right Back

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

Someone was saying Nilsson was the best right back in the world because he was....and it wasn't just folk on Owlstalk that were saying that.

Without wanting to decry Sterland because he would be in a lot of people's top 3, he played 1 game for England, against Saudi Arabia, when his main competitor for the shirt was Mike f. ckin Duxbury! 

There was fred on a year or two back about some site naming the best prem 11 with options for each position ....roly wasnt  one of the options which think he would have if was reckoned the best right back in the world .......its a pointless comparison between the two as they were totally different types of player .

Guest ka58
12 minutes ago, Ian said:

Someone was saying Nilsson was the best right back in the world because he was....and it wasn't just folk on Owlstalk that were saying that.

Without wanting to decry Sterland because he would be in a lot of people's top 3, he played 1 game for England, against Saudi Arabia, when his main competitor for the shirt was Mike f. ckin Duxbury! 

Your kidding yourself if you think Nilsson was  the best right back in the world.

Just now, ka58 said:

Your kidding yourself if you think Nilsson was  the best right back in the world.

Says the person who thinks Sterland was "miles better" than Nilsson!

World best players tend transfer for huge fees to play for the worlds best clubs  not gothenburg, sheff wed ,helsingbourg ,coventry ......good player  for us was roly but worlds best only the most rabid owl would think that .

Guest ka58
10 minutes ago, torryowl said:

World best players tend transfer for huge fees to play for the worlds best clubs  not gothenburg, sheff wed ,helsingbourg ,coventry ......good player  for us was roly but worlds best only the most rabid owl would think that .

played 4 seasons in top flight for Wednesday, one in relegation team. Rest in lower leagues or Sweden bar a brief end of career run out for Coventry city.

when leaving us at 30 years of age signed for Helsingborg.

Biggest transfer fee of £350k when players like Garry pallister were going for £2m.

best right back in world - don’t be daft.

and I stand by what I said - all round I would pick sterland over Nilsson.

played more games at the top level, scored more goals, more of an attacking threat.

Edited by ka58

No argument that Nilsson was a good international right back and most wouldn’t argue he was our best right back of the last 50 years, although Sterland has a strong claim for the reasons already mentioned.

Not sure where the quote about him being the best international right back came from but a quick look on Google would suggest a good chunk of his international career overlapped with both Cafu and Thuram so I’m a little sceptical about the claim.

Guest ka58
48 minutes ago, oldowl67 said:

No argument that Nilsson was a good international right back and most wouldn’t argue he was our best right back of the last 50 years, although Sterland has a strong claim for the reasons already mentioned.

Not sure where the quote about him being the best international right back came from but a quick look on Google would suggest a good chunk of his international career overlapped with both Cafu and Thuram so I’m a little sceptical about the claim.

And Tassotti.

i don’t recall Milan racing to replace him with Nilsson when he was up for sale for £375k.

by the way - really liked Roland Nilsson and was a very good player but annoys me when people scoff at comparisons with sterland as if you’re talking about some world great - when sterland was in my view anyway the more effective player and certainly in the same league even if Nilsson is your preference.

Edited by ka58

24 minutes ago, ka58 said:

And Tassotti.

i don’t recall Milan racing to replace him with Nilsson when he was up for sale for £375k.

by the way - really liked Roland Nilsson and was a very good player but annoys me when people scoff at comparisons with sterland as if you’re talking about some world great - when sterland was in my view anyway the more effective player and certainly in the same league even if Nilsson is your preference.

Completely agree. I don’t see the need to mythologise Nilsson as his domestic and international careers speak for themselves. His standing as a Wednesday great is assured.

I always took the lyrics of his song as being tongue in cheek but maybe some of our fans actually believed 10 Roland Nilsson’s and David Hirst were the perfect team!

Guest ka58
3 hours ago, oldowl67 said:

Completely agree. I don’t see the need to mythologise Nilsson as his domestic and international careers speak for themselves. His standing as a Wednesday great is assured.

I always took the lyrics of his song as being tongue in cheek but maybe some of our fans actually believed 10 Roland Nilsson’s and David Hirst were the perfect team!

agree nothing of what I’ve said is intended to undermine Nilsson - great player for us.

Agree that both full-back positions have been relatively poor for the last 25 years since Petrescu went. I had a soft spot for Juan Cobian at RB, though.

17 hours ago, Dooogs said:

On Nilsson's class, I know he'd be biased but I remember a feature on Sportsnight (!) with Glenn Hysen picking Roly as the best RB at Italia 90...

Crikey he must have been flipping good then as just had a quick look at how they got on; knocked out in group phase, P3 W0 D0 L3 F3 A6. Lost 2-1 in all three matches to Brazil (fair enough), Costa Rica & Scotland .

7 hours ago, bobbycraig said:

Thought Atherton played a lot at centre back?

yeah I seem to remember him playing at centre back in a lot of matches and did the job pretty competently given that he wasn’t that tall. A good marker, always on his toes and alert unlike a lot of defenders who switch off and get caught out. Probably a better centre half than full back.

3 hours ago, oldowl67 said:

Crikey he must have been flipping good then as just had a quick look at how they got on; knocked out in group phase, P3 W0 D0 L3 F3 A6. Lost 2-1 in all three matches to Brazil (fair enough), Costa Rica & Scotland .

Heh ,important point: it was a preview show before the tournament started!